~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, MarSolo said:

I just don’t understand how grocery stores aren’t an even bigger spreader of the virus than restaurants?

Most restaurants and bars in Philly are getting eaten alive by the shutdowns, meanwhile, grocery stores, which have NO SOCIAL DISTANCING, NO CART WIPE DOWNS, literally nothing but mask wearing (and even that they’re doing a shit job of enforcing with customers) is being done to mitigate any spread.

Even though grocery stores may not be doing an awesome job of enforcing mask usage, the fact is you still have most people inside wearing a mask, compared to dining being an activity that inherently requires taking your mask off. Plus at the grocery store you're moving around instead of lingering near the same people, and are probably not staying in the grocery store as long as you'd be sitting at your table for a meal.

Whenever I go to my local Kroger (I try to keep it to once a week, but I’m a poor planner) I’m generally impressed with how people are acting. Although last week I almost went off on a lady with 4 boys that were running around touching everything, all maskless. 

Been saying THIS since this whole thing started... "Coronavirus Could have Been Spreading in the US since early December

The novel coronavirus may have infected people in the United States as early as Dec. 13, 2019, according to a study published Monday in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

The study, which was conducted by scientists at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, analyzed blood donations collected by the American Red Cross from Dec. 13, 2019 through Jan. 17, 2020. 

The 7,389 samples, collected from nine states, were tested for SARS-CoV-2 reactive antibodies. SARS-CoV-2 is the scientific name for the coronavirus that causes Covid-19.

Of the samples tested, at least 106 were found to have antibodies for SARS-CoV-2, including ones collected from California, Oregon and Washington from Dec. 13 through Dec. 16, 2019

38 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I just don’t understand how grocery stores aren’t an even bigger spreader of the virus than restaurants?

Most restaurants and bars in Philly are getting eaten alive by the shutdowns, meanwhile, grocery stores, which have NO SOCIAL DISTANCING, NO CART WIPE DOWNS, literally nothing but mask wearing (and even that they’re doing a shit job of enforcing with customers) is being done to mitigate any spread.

because most people are wearing masks in grocery stores, are not socializing in close quarters and are in and out. Grocery stores are more dangerous for the people who work in them than customers. And every grocery store I've been to has hand sanitizer throughout the store and wipes for carts and baskets... most people bring their own bags these days anyway. By their very nature, restaurants and especially bars are ideal breeding grounds for this virus based on how it transmits.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's not total theater, but they discovered a while ago that touch transmission is not a significant method of viral spread.

Basically my motto is to just not touch my face while in the supermarket. Once I'm in my car, I use sanitizer liberally, and I am good to go. No more wiping down groceries. Waste of time.

48 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

The virus spreads when you are in close contact with someone for an extended period of time.  Some experts suggest a good rule of thumb is that being in close contact (i.e. within 2 metres) for 15 minutes will result in you getting a viral dose to catch Covid-19.  A mask will somewhat extend this time (experts have very different opinions on how much this time is extended).

The problems with restaurants is that there are people from different households in close contact to one another for extended periods of time.  This doesn't really happen in grocery stores.

Just now, Joe said:

Basically my motto is to just not touch my face while in the supermarket. Once I'm in my car, I use sanitizer liberally, and I am good to go. No more wiping down groceries. Waste of time.

Oh yeah... we stopped wiping down groceries and shit months ago. Just keep sanitizer handy and just wash my hands after touching anything not in my home. I DO continue to wipedown the mouse, keyboard and phones at work when I go in as multiple people can use the edit rooms.

Outdoor Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and Other Respiratory Viruses, a Systematic Review

While it has been acknowledged that spending time outside has general health benefits, our review posits that there are also benefits in reducing transmission of SARSCoV-2 by reducing exposure time (substituting time indoors with time outdoors). These results suggest that moving activities to outdoor settings may reduce infections and ultimately save lives. However, it is important to note that infections are possible outdoors and the advantage may be overtaken by relaxed mitigation efforts.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

I don't know about you but at my grocery story there is social distancing, they have free  wipes at the door, mask wearing, the cashiers get their plexiglass things at checkout. They didn't allow reusable bags for a while but now they do, but the catch is you have to bag your own.

They even have dedicated early shopping hours for elderly people.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Maybe we're not stupid after all:

Would we really already know that there's been no spike since Thanksgiving/Black Friday? Don't people usually not start seeing symptoms for a couple of weeks?

In, hopefully, unrelated personal news. My aunt is still sick and now my ~70yo grandfather has COVID. My sister and her husband now have COVID and my mother, for some crazy reason I already scolded her for, went to their place for Thanksgiving. She's getting tested on Thursday. A family friend and their entire clan also all have it, even after my wife told them to be more careful and they said they didn't need to be. That's cool since she is in the middle of chemo and her mother is pushing 90.

Just so much awesomeness.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Would we really already know that there's been no spike since Thanksgiving/Black Friday? Don't people usually not start seeing symptoms for a couple of weeks?

In, hopefully, unrelated personal news. My aunt is still sick and now my ~70yo grandfather has COVID. My sister and her husband now have COVID and my mother, for some crazy reason I already scolded her for, went to their place for Thanksgiving. She's getting tested on Thursday. A family friend and their entire clan also all have it, even after my wife told them to be more careful and they said they didn't need to be. That's cool since she is in the middle of chemo and her mother is pushing 90.

Just so much awesomeness.

This is about people traveling for Thanksgiving.

Sorry about your family :( They can be frustratingly thick-headed.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Been saying THIS since this whole thing started... "Coronavirus Could have Been Spreading in the US since early December

because most people are wearing masks in grocery stores, are not socializing in close quarters and are in and out. Grocery stores are more dangerous for the people who work in them than customers. And every grocery store I've been to has hand sanitizer throughout the store and wipes for carts and baskets... most people bring their own bags these days anyway. By their very nature, restaurants and especially bars are ideal breeding grounds for this virus based on how it transmits.

I was REALLY sick for like 3 months Dec-Feb

Happy Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by Amazon Prime Video

1 hour ago, Joe said:

This is about people traveling for Thanksgiving.

How comprehensive is that data? That's just people with Iphones? Because reports I saw was that the last couple of days were the busiest travelwise since March before the lockdown. This wasn't based on cell phone data but data from the TSA.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

There are fears of a new explosion in coronavirus infections across the U.S. over the coming week as the pandemic failed to deter many fliers.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, America's top infectious disease expert, warned on Sunday that the U.S. could experience a "surge upon a surge" of Covid-19 in the weeks after Thanksgiving as airports saw their busiest travel period since the middle of March. Health experts had called for people to celebrate the holiday at home but the pandemic failed to deter many fliers with the number passing through airports surpassing 900,000 for seven consecutive days around Thanksgiving. That's according to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) who kept tabs on airport throughput in late November.

On three days - November 20, 22 and 25 - the volume of travelers passing through U.S. airports exceeded one million. While that is well short of the two million plus travelers recorded daily during Thanksgiving week in 2019, it is still far higher than the number of fliers seen in the early days of the pandemic when the travel volume was in the region of 100,000. With many travelers attending large family dinners held indoors including the presence of over-65s, there is now real concern that the U.S. is set to experience a serious coronavirus shock over the coming weeks.

Sunday was the busiest air travel day since the pandemic began

201130083600-tsa-line-seattle-tacoma-nov
WWW.CNN.COM

More people passed through US airport security checkpoints on Sunday than on any other single day since the coronavirus pandemic cratered air travel, according to the Transportation Security Administration.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How comprehensive is that data? That's just people with Iphones? Because reports I saw was that the last couple of days were the busiest travelwise since March before the lockdown. This wasn't based on cell phone data but data from the TSA.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

There are fears of a new explosion in coronavirus infections across the U.S. over the coming week as the pandemic failed to deter many fliers.

Sunday was the busiest air travel day since the pandemic began

201130083600-tsa-line-seattle-tacoma-nov
WWW.CNN.COM

More people passed through US airport security checkpoints on Sunday than on any other single day since the coronavirus pandemic cratered air travel, according to the Transportation Security Administration.

Wasn't meant to be comprehensive, just a cursory snapshot.

So my neighbour I mention a few weeks back who’s father broke his hip and then got/died from Covid while in the hospital. Now her mom is in critical condition with Covid, which she caught by visiting him as he passed away from Covid. They don’t think she has too much longer, and again can’t be there because they live in Wales.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, silentbob said:

So my neighbour I mention a few weeks back who’s father broke his hip and then got/died from Covid while in the hospital. Now her mom is in critical condition with Covid, which she caught by visiting him as he passed away from Covid. They don’t think she has too much longer, and again can’t be there because they live in Wales.

Similar situation with my next door neighbor.  Husband and wife, neighbors are in their 50s.  The neighbor wife's mom and dad contracted it, the father died, the mother is sick (and heartbroken mind you) and now the neighbor wife has it as well.  The neighbor husband probably has it as well (or will have it very soon).

Of all his shitposting today this is fucking dangerous for my area. Their are so many that hang on his every word and worship the flying dick nugget as a god. I guess when they find out they aren't getting an insurance cover helicopter trip to Reno because they get it they might be more inclined to think this shit is real. 

Governor's response. Will any of our crazies on the right support the response?

magic-8-ball.jpg

In Canada, Trudeau mentioned that while Canada had many orders in with different vaccine suppliers, countries that manufacture the vaccine will likely get quicker access (by diverting initial batches internally). The Conservatives (and conservative Premiers) have twisted this into "Why is Canada at the back of the line for vaccines? Don't these companies know who we are?!" 

1. Canada is firmly a lower-middle power. While we punch above our weight financially due to being a developed first world nation, we are still small.
  2. We have no internal vaccine research or manufacturing industry

So why would we be the first? Having said that, Moderna has since come out and said (likely at the behest of the government) that Canada will be getting some of the first batch due to placing one of the first pre-orders. So likely the US, UK, and Germany will have initial doses in December, and Canada will get some in January. 

It's crazy how every single thing about this is being politicized. What makes me the most upset is that the Premiers are in charge of handling the pandemic (and are failing), but the federal government is the one bailing them all out (through stimulus, emergency relief for workers, etc), and now they just complain. You are saving us but only at 98% efficiency, we need 100% or otherwise you are a failure, why do you hate Canada, Mister Prime Minister?