~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

They just re-closed outdoor dining effective this past Wednesday at 10 PM. I think this is necessary but it's not going to stop people from congregating privately indoors, and the religious exemption is a big problem...I feel like for me the only real difference is that it's going to become routine again to have to wait on line to get into grocery stores (I've seen it intermittently still, but I'm not really sure what causes stores to do it, because it doesn't seem significantly different inside when they do and when they don't).

GettyImages-1229769963-1.jpg?w=1500
LOSANGELES.CBSLOCAL.COM

The new order which will be in effect until at least Dec. 20 advises residents to stay at home as much as possible, always wear a face covering outside the home, and prohibits all public and private gatherings except for church services and...

2 hours ago, Joe said:
aoc-by-getty.jpg
WWW.CNET.COM

A livestream on the gaming site, featuring US Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, brings in money for eviction defense and food pantries, among other things.

@CitizenVectron @chakoo She played with Jagmeet Singh.

I already knew about this. Personally I think they shouldn't be playing games and instead she should be spending an hour training Singh to get better at his messaging. I was a supporter of his but when he comes out and says stupid shit like "Trump has done more to address systemic racism than Trudeau" and many other instances, I've all but tuned him out.

jdt11057681-4.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w
GLOBALNEWS.CA

Military reservist and Manitoba businessman Corey Hurren is in an Ottawa jail facing 22 charges for allegedly carrying weapons and making a threat against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

AOC on the other hand is still amazing and I hope she can grow her squad in congress to hopefully take control in congress. I also loved her outreach in animal crossing.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I already knew about this. Personally I think they shouldn't be playing games and instead she should be spending an hour training Singh to get better at his messaging. I was a supporter of his but when he comes out and says stupid shit like "Trump has done more to address systemic racism than Trudeau" and many other instances, I've all but tuned him out.

jdt11057681-4.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w
GLOBALNEWS.CA

Military reservist and Manitoba businessman Corey Hurren is in an Ottawa jail facing 22 charges for allegedly carrying weapons and making a threat against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

AOC on the other hand is still amazing and I hope she can grow her squad in congress to hopefully take control in congress. I also loved her outreach in animal crossing.

He says President Donald Trump has taken some actions, like ordering limits on the police use of chokeholds, while Trudeau has not done anything.

Sounds like he's just conveniently dumping on the shitty foreign leader.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Damn, hadn't realized Jagmeet had gotten spicy like that!

He's made many gaffes that cause people to ignore the point he is trying to make thinking getting the attention is what he needs when it ends up just hurting him because everybody ends up speaking about how awful of a hot take his initial message is. -.-

Yeah, it's a head scratcher.

In Portland, restaurants, bars, gyms, etc are due to reopen on Thursday, even though hospitals are already basically stretched to their limit and basically every medical professional is like DON'T DO IT, WE WON'T KNOW HOW BAD THANKSGIVING WAS UNTIL AT LEAST A WEEK LATER

We'll see, though. The restaurants and bars have pretty strict social distancing measures (Oregon's liquor control task force has been temporarily converted into a social distancing task force), and the evidence doesn't seem to indicate that restaurants are super spreaders. Unlike schools.

I now know too many people infected that I've lost count, because I guess folks just stopped caring in the ramp up to the holidays. That includes one friend currently on chemo and her 80-something year old mother.

My wife and I are currently on lockdown. I don't have Facebook, but it sounds like we've had a ton of people celebrating Thanksgiving and even doing some Black Friday shopping. This is going to be a mess.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:10 PM, CayceG said:

My man, you gotta smash that unfollow button. 

That's not good for you. 

I know I should, like really should, but there's still this morbid curiosity like I said, and when it comes to conspiracy theories, I always have this belief that if I have the proper evidence and response, I can get through to them, and get them to change their wrongfully believed views. Hell not even just with conspiracy theories, but any clearly wrong view. If I just know the right words, I'll be able to convince them. 

I know won't though. People who believe in conspiracy theories are not rationally, logically thinking people. I can see why some people believe in them, and yeah at first glance some of the stuff you see whether it's about covid, vaccines, or 9/11, or whatever else, might look alarming and convincing, but deep down I know it's wrong, even if I don't always know the true answer, and then of course when the counter evidence is shown I can of course really see why it's all BS. Conspiracy theorists though don't accept when they're wrong though because even if you showed them irrefutable evidence that runs contrary to what they believe, they'll just claim it's all a cover up or something, whereas if you showed me irrefutable proof that 9/11 was an inside job, then holy shit I'd be shocked, and admit they were right all along. I'm an open minded person though, and the irony is that conspiracy theorists are close minded, yet are the ones screaming at people to open their minds, and "wake up". 

5fbc34bfbef47b00088994cc-eight.jpg
LAIST.COM

Read highlights here or watch the full press conference.

VACCINE COMING TO CALIFORNIA IN MID-DECEMBER

The state anticipates getting approximately 327,000 doses in mid-December from Pfizer, Newsom said. The second doses will likely follow within three weeks, and more vaccine is expected soon from Moderna, as well as other vaccines in late-stage trials to come.

Recommendations are being made this week for the Phase 1a distribution plan, with that plan set to be released later this week, Newsom said.

I saw in a separate article:

The 327,000 doses will go to health care workers, but the state’s vaccine committee is still determining which health care workers they will go to first, Newsom said. There are about 2.4 million health care workers in California, so the first round of vaccine distribution will not provide enough doses for all of them.

Details about which health care workers will get priority for the first doses will be announced this week, he said.

If the state hews closely to recommendations from the influential National Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, it will be health care workers at hospitals, nursing homes and in home care, and first responders.

The Pfizer vaccine is administered in two doses, given 21 days apart. It’s unclear if the first 327,000 doses would go to 327,000 people for the first round of injections, or if they would go to 163,500 people for both rounds of injections.

So if they're going to talk about a "dose" as one shot then you need to divide any number you see by 2, since AFAIK they all require two doses.

But hopefully this can ramp up quickly. Even if they can't get it to everyone quickly it should hopefully still help get a lid on things once they can get it to high-impact people like grocery store cashiers.

17 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah, it's a head scratcher.

In Portland, restaurants, bars, gyms, etc are due to reopen on Thursday, even though hospitals are already basically stretched to their limit and basically every medical professional is like DON'T DO IT, WE WON'T KNOW HOW BAD THANKSGIVING WAS UNTIL AT LEAST A WEEK LATER

We'll see, though. The restaurants and bars have pretty strict social distancing measures (Oregon's liquor control task force has been temporarily converted into a social distancing task force), and the evidence doesn't seem to indicate that restaurants are super spreaders. Unlike schools.

It's actually the exact opposite. Elementary school kids don't seem to be transmission vectors but restaurants DEFINITELY are. What data are you seeing that says otherwise?

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Elementary school kids don't seem to be transmission vectors

wat

081320_Child_008_H_Social.jpg
NEWS.HARVARD.EDU

A new study has found that children infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 were shown to have a significantly higher level of virus in their airways than hospitalized adults in ICUs for COVID-19 treatment.