~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

Well in my neck of the woods we have been hearing a lot more helicopters flying around during the daytime. My mom brought it up with some friends and it turns out that Helicopter rentals/rides are way up. With the Canadian boarder closed up for travel, people are bypassing it by flying into Buffalo this way and renting a car to travel elsewhere. We are never going to get things under control if shit like this isn’t clamped down. I was in downtown Toronto on Monday for work and are in lockdown, but about a third of the folks coming off the subway were without a mask and security didn’t do anything. 

I'm tired of this shit and peoples ignorance. Now if I could get a good fucking sleep I would feel a lot better

Wait what. The border is closed yet they can get across via helicopter?

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wait what. The border is closed yet they can get across via helicopter?

Yes and its legal

canadian-snowbirds-bernard-loiselle-and-
WWW.CBC.CA

Many Canadian snowbirds are determined to head south this winter despite the COVID-19 pandemic, but they face hurdles getting their vehicles across a closed U.S. land border. In response, several transport companies have come up with new ways to help snowbirds — and their cars — get across.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Yes and its legal

canadian-snowbirds-bernard-loiselle-and-
WWW.CBC.CA

Many Canadian snowbirds are determined to head south this winter despite the COVID-19 pandemic, but they face hurdles getting their vehicles across a closed U.S. land border. In response, several transport companies have come up with new ways to help snowbirds — and their cars — get across.

Oh, that makes more sense to me that it's Canadians trying to go south, I was confused that the Canadian authorities were tolerating it with Americans trying to go north (I took it as Americans were hopping a helicopter over the border and then proceeding to points north).

Between Carson City and Reno we surprisingly have a solid medical infrastructure (it takes care of things into Truckee, CA and whatnot). I know Renown has started to use its parking garage as a temporary hospital wing. I haven't heard much from Carson (their hospital is pretty large even by Vegas standards), but if local hospitals aren't sending patients out I think it is safe to assume that they are at or near capacity also. 

EDIT: And man I missed the right thread to post this in. It a mod can/would be kind enough to move this over to the CIVID thread that would be awesome. I must have had multiple tabs open and crossed the streams. 

Welp, my mom, who's my main caretaker, went in 5 days ago for an EKG (she had a mild heart attack 4 years) and got exposed to COVID by the nurse doing the EKG. Thankfully my girlfriend is back so we're holed up in the Guest House waiting for test results. No one has symptoms. 

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:
gov_tom_wolf_generic_11_110920.jpg
WHYY.ORG

Pennsylvania residents with mobile devices will receive emergency alerts about the pandemic through the WEA system, which typically notifies people of threats like...

Just got this alert on my phone.  Kinda scared me to be honest lol

Me and my wife got this and we're in NY, we're not far from the border but yeah.

Korea just had the highest number of cases since March. Just anecdotally, it seems like people have stopped taking it seriously. I see crowded bars and restaurants, no masks. 

Cafes now have to go to takeout only. Restaurants have to close by 9 pm.

This is worrying because it's not tied to one big thing, it's a bunch of people not being careful. The spikes in March and the summer were linked to a stupid cult and right-wing nut jobs. This recent increase is just groups of friends hanging out without precautions. 

5 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Welp, my mom, who's my main caretaker, went in 5 days ago for an EKG (she had a mild heart attack 4 years) and got exposed to COVID by the nurse doing the EKG. Thankfully my girlfriend is back so we're holed up in the Guest House waiting for test results. No one has symptoms. 

I hope the nurse and your mom were wearing masks.  

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

I think people need to prepare that the 2 weeks after thanksgiving is going to be hell on earth as people go shopping thinking they didn’t get it at thanksgiving yet ignoring that it takes time before symptoms show.

I wish you all good luck. :s

I got a bunch of stuff done by today planning on minimizing being outside the next two weeks.

17 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I think people need to prepare that the 2 weeks after thanksgiving is going to be hell on earth as people go shopping thinking they didn’t get it at thanksgiving yet ignoring that it takes time before symptoms show.

I wish you all good luck. :s

After tomorrow, I'm planning to pretty much be a hermit until after New Year's.

merlin_180213399_bccc9a12-821f-448b-bb02
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Some trial participants only got a partial dose of AstraZeneca’s vaccine. Experts said the company’s spotty disclosures have eroded confidence.

They really need to re-do the Phase 3 trial.

XND2TKM2NFB3XLXJE6UNXVJIT4.jpg
WWW.TAMPABAY.COM

A Publix employee died from COVID-19. Now his family is suing over his death.

Gerardo Gutierrez, a Publix deli employee in Miami Beach, asked to wear a mask to work when the pandemic began.

But Publix said no, according to a lawsuit filed by his family.

Although the Florida grocer would eventually flip its stance and allow employees to wear masks, that change came too late for the 70-year-old father of four. He was already at home sick by the time Publix allowed all of its employees to use them.

Gutierrez died alone from complications related to COVID-19 in April. His adult children could only say goodbye to him over a video call.

• Sad 3