~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

31 minutes ago, Jason said:
5fbabac350e71a0011556b43?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Texas is struggling to deal with recent coronavirus surges, with thousands lining up for food and morgues unable to process the influx of dead bodies.

• Haha 1

Yeah, For a while we were still gonna try and see both sets of parents, but we've axed that. It's just not worth it. The vaccine news is so positive, I'd rather not fuck around right now and just get together and eat a bunch of food at some point next year after our parents are able to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jason said:
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Texas is struggling to deal with recent coronavirus surges, with thousands lining up for food and morgues unable to process the influx of dead bodies.

Has Cruz at least promoted the idea of outdoor gatherings for Thanksgiving?

If not, this is especially horrible as Texas likely has that option that many of the rest of us do not due to it being warmer there.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The replies on that Justin Hart tweet are cancerous, holy shit. A bunch of people going "I'm glad people are finally standing up for their rights."

IT'S A FUCKING HEALTH INSPECTION. If you want a license for certain things, you need to agree to random inspections. That's how that works. You want to sling alcohol? You need an alcohol license, and submit to random inspections. You want to do, really, anything at all that is even tertiarily related to food? You need a food service license and submit to random inspections. It's been that way since the 30's. That's what makes me question whether the "owner" of the business was actually there. They're the one who is going to have to pay the fine.

I hope she left and had their permit taken away. Checkmate, bitches.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

God I can't stand that fucker.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

The replies on that Justin Hart tweet are cancerous, holy shit. A bunch of people going "I'm glad people are finally standing up for their rights."

IT'S A FUCKING HEALTH INSPECTION. If you want a license for certain things, you need to agree to random inspections. That's how that works. You want to sling alcohol? You need an alcohol license, and submit to random inspections. You want to do, really, anything at all that is even tertiarily related to food? You need a food service license and submit to random inspections. It's been that way since the 30's. That's what makes me question whether the "owner" of the business was actually there. They're the one who is going to have to pay the fine.

I hope she left and had their permit taken away. Checkmate, bitches.

Absolutely.

Just substitute their actions in the video for a line cook blatantly coughing into food, wiping their nose on their sleeve, etc. and it would be pretty clear why these objections are nonsense.

I have no idea how/why NJ isn’t doing any type of real shutdown measures yet. I know we have more respirators than we did then, and we’re stocked with PPE, but our daily numbers in the last week are higher than they ever were in the entirety March-October. Our worst previous day was, iirc, in April and was ~4300 cases but was usually in the low or mid-3k range throughout the month, April was also our previous worst month: we hit ~4.7k on Saturday, and have been basically averaging 4k/day for the past 10 straight days (except for a single oddball day on the 16th which “only” had ~2.2k).

CLOSE INDOOR DINING COMPLETELY. SCHOOLS 100% REMOTE. CLOSE GYMS/FITNESS/MARTIAL ARTS.

I know Murphy doesn’t want to do another lock-down without a stimulus bill, but we cannot wait 8+ weeks for one. Do SOMETHING.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I have no idea how/why NJ isn’t doing any type of real shutdown measures yet. I know we have more respirators than we did then, and we’re stocked with PPE, but our daily numbers in the last week are higher than they ever were in the entirety March-October. Our worst previous day was, iirc, in April and was ~4300 cases but was usually in the low or mid-3k range throughout the month, April was also our previous worst month: we hit ~4.7k on Saturday, and have been basically at or above 3.4-4.7k/day for the past 10 straight days (except for a single oddball day on the 16th which “only” had ~2.2k).

CLOSE INDOOR DINING COMPLETELY. SCHOOLS 100% REMOTE. CLOSE GYMS/FITNESS/MARTIAL ARTS.

PA's worst day was back in early April with about 2000 cases, and that was with mass closures of bars/gyms/indoor dining/etc.

On Friday we were at over 7000. :|

But of course people here will react to another round of mass closures as of Tom Wolf is Stalin...like they did months ago.  Bleh.

5 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

PA's worst day was back in early April with about 2000 cases, and that was with mass closures of bars/gyms/indoor dining/etc.

On Friday we were at over 7000. :|

But of course people here will react to another round of mass closures as of Tom Wolf is Stalin...like they did months ago.  Bleh.

Yup. I mean, just a month ago on October 23rd in NJ we were barely at 1k, with most of October before that being in the 500-700 range.

There was a good reply on a local subreddit for a city near me that I will post below. In the thread (about daily infection numbers), an idiot posted something like "The test used for COVID tests 9 different kinds of COVID, it doesn't even work. Don't be a sheep, do some research."

The reply was:

Every time someone says this, it's a 100% guarantee that they're a conspiracy nut and that you can just ignore their bullshit.

I'm not going to research your terrible and incorrect opinion for you. You're the person making the claim. You're supposed to provide evidence. Especially if it is completely opposite to what every other shred of evidence on earth tell us.

To anyone reading this: if this person's nonsense was scientifically accurate, you wouldn't be hearing about it only on Facebook and other social media sites. It would be in the news. It would be in science textbooks. Doctors would be telling us this, and they would also be telling us what works if masks don't.

And if you ask them why scientists, doctors, and the media aren't telling us, it's because the conspiracy is even bigger! Scientists are beholden to governments, who are all trying to control us. And you don't hear about how masks don't work because the government that controls science also conveniently controls the media.

And if you ask them, "where is the evidence of all this," they will likely tell you that there is no evidence ... because the government is covering it up! And the fact that there is no evidence is evidence of the cover up itself! It's complete garbage. The only way they prove their conspiracy is correct is by including other conspiracies in their explanation. All of which are extremely short on evidence.

If you ask them for evidence, if it isn't being withheld by the eViL GovErnMeNt, you're told to look it up for yourself. And any criticism of the source or of the material itself is yet another attempt to hide the truth! You see, only they have the answers. Everyone else is wrong. Don't trust science, because it's corrupt. Don't trust the government, because they're corrupt. Don't trust the media, because they're corrupt. Don't trust doctors, because they're corrupt. The only acceptable people to trust just so happen to be the people that are saying the exact same thing they are.

Another common tactic is to cite one scientist or doctor. This is the dumbest tactic they use (which is saying something) because now they're willing to trust scientists, doctors, professionals, government officials, etc. They will use an appeal to authority (essentially: this is correct because it's being said by a professional) and try to use this scientist, doctor, etc., as evidence that the whole system is designed to lie to you, because apparently one person dissenting from worldwide scientific consensus is enough to completely toss the entire system in the garbage. They don't understand the irony in telling you not to trust scientists and doctors and then resting their entire worldview on a scientist or doctor just because they are saying something different than the rest of the medical community. When you look this person up, you will find out that their work has been heavily criticised and discredited because of methodological errors, or because they're letting ideology guide their work, and probably havent been part of any legitimate scientific community for a long time. But this doesn't matter to them, because this person will have a degree of some sort, making them a trustworthy source on the matter. It's a completely self-defeating step in their methods, but they are blind to realising this.

This person, and others like him, don't have an answer for staying safe in a pandemic. They are literally only opposing masks. They're contrarians. They have no solutions. Just ask them for one. They have none. That's when they tell you that the virus "isn't a big deal," because they have to. They have no answers for it. Their only option is to brush it off.

If you were together on a sinking ship, they would tell you that it isn't a big deal, because do you know anyone who has ever died by drowning? Less than 1% of people die by drowning, so why would anyone be concerned about that? These people would be advocating for the elimination of lifeboats and lifejackets because boats rarely sink, life preservation costs too much, and people should just be able to swim anyway, and it's not a big deal because barely anyone drowns, so drowning can't even be that dangerous.

Long story short, don't listen to these fucks. They can't even give you any evidence to support their bullshit. If someone is telling you something, they are the ones responsible for proving it, not you.

A good breakdown of anti-mask or covid-denier tactics.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I have no idea how/why NJ isn’t doing any type of real shutdown measures yet. I know we have more respirators than we did then, and we’re stocked with PPE, but our daily numbers in the last week are higher than they ever were in the entirety March-October. Our worst previous day was, iirc, in April and was ~4300 cases but was usually in the low or mid-3k range throughout the month, April was also our previous worst month: we hit ~4.7k on Saturday, and have been basically averaging 4k/day for the past 10 straight days (except for a single oddball day on the 16th which “only” had ~2.2k).

I know Murphy doesn’t want to do another lock-down without a stimulus bill, but we cannot wait 8+ weeks for one. Do SOMETHING.

Two things driving this are the fact that testing has expanded massively and that outcomes have improved by a lot as well.

22 minutes ago, Joe said:

Two things driving this are the fact that testing has expanded massively and that outcomes have improved by a lot as well.

Outcomes have improved because we actually have ventilators now as well as knowing what drugs to use to help those in critical condition, however, hospitals are nearing max capacity again. Murphy literally stated on Friday’s briefing that we’re going to need to do lockdown measures again at this rate, however he’s hesitant without a stimulus bill and that “McConnell needs to get off his ass”. Also, sure, deaths are down, but now that we’re learning the long term effects of this virus, it’s not still not comforting.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Outcomes have improved because we actually have ventilators now as well as knowing what drugs to use to help those in critical condition, however, hospitals are nearing max capacity again. Murphy literally stated on Friday’s briefing that we’re going to need to do lockdown measures again at this rate, however he’s hesitant without a stimulus bill and that “McConnell needs to get off his ass”. Also, sure, deaths are down, but now that we’re learning the long term effects of this virus, it’s not still not comforting.

it’s certainly not great! Just saying it’s nowhere near as bad as the spring. People have already wiped the supermarkets clean of toilet paper and paper towels. Incredibly frustrating.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Only in terms of death rate, cases and hospitalizations have exceeded the spring. Deaths will catch up soon enough (unless we do something), unfortunately. :/ 

Not to mention people suffering from complications from COVID for weeks, months, or maybe even years after they got over the virus.  

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Only in terms of death rate, cases and hospitalizations have exceeded the spring. Deaths will catch up soon enough (unless we do something), unfortunately. :/ 

Where are you getting these hospitalization numbers? We're at 2,568 hospitalizations right now and we hit a high of over 8,000 in the spring.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Where are you getting these hospitalization numbers? We're at 2,568 hospitalizations right now and we hit a high of over 8,000 in the spring.

I’m talking about average for the entirety of the spring. We’re at the highest since early May - I should have clarified my statement better, I was in the middle of cardio :p 

IOX5ADAWKBD2VELPODAH3U6HQE.JPG
WWW.NJ.COM

There are more people being treated for COVID-19 in N.J. hospitals since late May. But it's not all bad news.