~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

There's also the fact that a lot of people won't get the vaccine right away, either because we won't have enough for everyone or because they simply don't want to. It will still be quite a while after we have a vaccine before things are totally "normal" again.

I fully expect people to flat out lie about getting the vaccine.

I’m not sure what the ethical balance is about tracking people who have / haven’t gotten the vaccine, but without it, I can easily see people saying “oh yeah come to the game this weekend with me, I already got mine!”

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I think it’s funny that back towards the start of this, we got an extra $2 an hour for “hero pay”. That lasted a month or two. Now that cases are hitting new highs, are we going to get that back? Seems unlikely. 

Thank you for your service. 

39 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I think it’s funny that back towards the start of this, we got an extra $2 an hour for “hero pay”. That lasted a month or two. Now that cases are hitting new highs, are we going to get that back? Seems unlikely. 

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thank you for your service. 

beer salute GIF

• Haha 1

Turkey Day Update:

My dad called me to see what my plans are in order to coordinate when we have our small Thanksgiving dinner. It would be me, him, my brother, and my dad's girlfriend. 

Well, I did some bubble checking. My dad goes into work this coming week as he teaches at a vocational school. His girlfriend works at a bank and manages like 10 people in the office. Who knows what my brother is doing, but he's no chud, so he isn't flippant about it. 

The big red flag came when dad said he'd be going to his GF's for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. 

She's having 8, possibly 9 people gather--one of whom is her mother who lives in an assisted living facility (!!). Two others are her sons who ARE chuds and think the whole thing is one big hoax. And they work construction. 

Thanksgiving with Dad would be either Friday, after he joins in with the 9 person meal, or Wednesday, which also includes his GF who will likely have her sons in her house at some point through the week. 

I told him I'm likely going to bow out this year. And depending on if my brother goes to have dinner with them Wednesday without me, that would mean seeing him (and staying in the same house with him) that night and Thursday. 

I'm leaning very heavily towards not going home for Thanksgiving. 

This fucking sucks. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

My dad called me to see what my plans are in order to coordinate when we have our small Thanksgiving dinner. It would be me, him, my brother, and my dad's girlfriend. 

Is it too cold to do it in the backyard? One or two hours sitting a bit farther apart than normal probably wouldn't be that huge of a deal for such a small gathering...and if it's chilly but not cold eating with your jackets on sounds better than not seeing each other at all.

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is it too cold to do it in the backyard? One or two hours sitting a bit farther apart than normal probably wouldn't be that huge of a deal for such a small gathering...and if it's chilly but not cold eating with your jackets on sounds better than not seeing each other at all.

I'm going to my parent's house for Thanksgiving, and there will only be 6 people.  Nonetheless, I'm planning to wear my mask the entire time, we'll likely be eating outside since the weather is forecasted to be relatively mild, and I don't plan to stay long after the meal.

52 minutes ago, Jason said:

In terms of Thanksgiving with my mom, my 94 year old grandfather probably won't be down with that.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

I highly doubt we will ever see "normal" again in our lifetimes. Even if we get past Covid we still have climate change that's going to continue getting worse. I think we haven't seen the worst yet which is coming soon and we can't fathom how bad it will get. 

If the world were a video game, Covid would be the training mission and Climate Change is the full game on Hardcore. And we failed the training mission.

We couldn't even muster up the will to wear masks to stop a pandemic that was currently punching us in the face. The idea that we will be able to take far greater action to stop a more indirect catastrophe seems very unlikely.

One of my big worries used to be that by the time Climate Change posed a tangible enough impact on the average person's life it would be too late to act at that point even if we tried. After Covid and Trump, I think even that may have been too optimistic. It is likely that the chaos, death, and destruction caused by Climate Change will not cause conservatives to realize they were wrong(whether too late or not) it will actually just breed more chaos that allows charlatans like Trump to grab power from an increasingly desperate and stupid population. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I highly doubt we will ever see "normal" again in our lifetimes. Even if we get past Covid we still have climate change that's going to continue getting worse. I think we haven't seen the worst yet which is coming soon and we can't fathom how bad it will get. 

And we failed both because of lack of education and the invalidation of science by imbeciles. 

• Like 2

My Thanksgiving plans: Wife, + 2 1/2 year old son + Me = that's it. Picking up a Thanksgiving meal for two from Hy-Vee the day before so the wife doesn't have to spend the day cooking. Will do some short video calls with either side of family, buy otherwise a pretty low-key 4-day weekend is all that's planned . It sucks, but in the grand scheme of things, this is a pretty minor sacrifice. I'm in MN so we're shut down the next 4 weeks and aren't supposed to go inside with anyone outside of household.

Glad to see some people curtailing their Thanksgiving plans, but honestly, it seems crazy to have any kind of plans right now outside their household. Hospitals are maxed out. The numbers are going to skyrocket. If you or your loved ones catch this, they might not get adequate care. My family and I are basically locked down other than grocery store runs until the spring.

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Dick biting penguins are next!

WWW.THEONION.COM

NEW YORK—Shaking their heads in amazement at their failure to see what had been staring them in the face during the entire pandemic, the nation expressed disbelief Friday...

• Haha 3

For Thanksgiving this year we were planning on meeting up with my wifes side of the family. We all live in the same state and having been either working from home or restricting our interactions with others. 

1 person decided on impromptu trip to Vegas, she is now sick.

2 people even after knowing the first person got sick by traveling, decided to go on trip for a few days. They are now sick.

We are now doing nothing for the Holiday. 

• Sad 1