~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Man, I took my bike out for a short ride today—maybe a mile and a half round trip—to pick up a takeout order from a restaurant and holy fuck am I out of shape. Not having access to the gym since March had already taken an obvious toll but the month and a half of unsafe air quality bringing even the occasional bike ride and run to a halt has apparently really fucking done me in. :(

I tried going back to the gym when PA opened them up in the summer, but I had to put a hold on my membership last week, because I just don't feel safe right now going there.

Also I gained way too much weight since March.  Fuck.

21 minutes ago, Joestradamus said:

Try body weight fitness, works pretty good.

My shoulder was kind of fucked shortly before the pandemic and then I was ready to go see a doctor right as lockdown started and nobody was willing to see anyone in-person. :/ Which definitely limited my at-home workout options at the start of the pandemic and now it's morphed into just getting back into lazy habits. I'd been doing just legs and cardio to try to give my shoulder a break, even arm stuff not directly shoulder-related was aggravating it. Tried some pushups the other day and they felt okay. I know my shoulder still isn't 100% though.

40 minutes ago, Jason said:

My shoulder was kind of fucked shortly before the pandemic and then I was ready to go see a doctor right as lockdown started and nobody was willing to see anyone in-person. :/ Which definitely limited my at-home workout options at the start of the pandemic and now it's morphed into just getting back into lazy habits. I'd been doing just legs and cardio to try to give my shoulder a break, even arm stuff not directly shoulder-related was aggravating it. Tried some pushups the other day and they felt okay. I know my shoulder still isn't 100% though.

I am the exact opposite.

Pulled some kind of muscle in my calf. It's one of those weird pulls where it only acts up if I bend a very specific way(I first realized it when I sat cross leg to play with my cats, went to stand up, and my fucking calf felt like it was on fire).

It's getting better, but I am still relegating myself to upper body stuff. I don't even trust core workouts that require using your legs. 

Can't do standing military presses with my dumbbells, either, as I am pretty sure bending down to put them on the floor after pressing is how I tweaked it in the first place.

Been doing a lot of curls, bench, tricep, and rows.

46 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Is there a set routine for that?  Or any apps?

Search YouTube, there is a ton of videos out there to suit whatever setup you have and whatever kind of workout you want to focus on.

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I am the exact opposite.

Pulled some kind of muscle in my calf. It's one of those weird pulls where it only acts up if I bend a very specific way(I first realized it when I sat cross leg to play with my cats, went to stand up, and my fucking calf felt like it was on fire).

It's getting better, but I am still relegating myself to upper body stuff. I don't even trust core workouts that require using your legs. 

Can't do standing military presses with my dumbbells, either, as I am pretty sure bending down to put them on the floor after pressing is how I tweaked it in the first place.

Been doing a lot of curls, bench, tricep, and rows.

It's less bad that it was a few months ago, but I think I've been lingering at less than 100% because I think it's probably a tendon issue, not a muscle issue. Before I figured out it was probably tendons I was tried to do stuff like rep through light bench presses thinking maybe I'd slept funny or something and just needing to work out whatever it was. So that almost certainly made it worse. But I think even though I stopped actively trying to make it worse it's the sort of thing where it's inflamed and it's impossible for it to get to the point of not being inflamed because even stuff like reaching behind my back in the shower can tweak it--just a self feedback loop of inflammation. I described what's going on to my dad, who's dealt with this sort of thing before, and he agreed with my self-assessment that I probably need a cortisone shot so that it can stop being inflamed for long enough to break the feedback loop.

Plus I often wake up with my arm extended out past my head, which is probably not good for it but also not something I can really control while I'm asleep.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

That data (regarding containment measures working) was already known from months ago. This analysis is just confirming that the measures still work... and why wouldn’t they? :p 

It's good to reinforce. Before he left, sblfilms was saying that that mask mandates don't work. I've also heard many conservatives argue that none of these restrictions matter because Europe is dealing with an outbreak again when they have had more aggressive containment measures than the US as a whole.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

It's good to reinforce. Before he left, sblfilms was saying that that mask mandates don't work. I've also heard many conservatives argue that none of these restrictions matter because Europe is dealing with an outbreak again when they have had more aggressive containment measures than the US as a whole.

Again, I don’t disagree on the importance of the data, I disagree with the emptiness of that article :p 

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Again, I don’t disagree on the importance of the data, I disagree with the emptiness of that article :p 

But what's the point of the data if no one analyzes it and writes about it? Point is to inform the public! They're going to be doing more of these articles in the future and they should.

I'm very pleased to see that my alma mater has had precisely one test come back positive. I'm unclear if that's just since their last update or this semester--I'm assuming this assuming given the size of the school--but still, one positive result out of 6,194 tests.

covid-college-cases-tracker-promo-159984
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

College campuses, like the rest of the country, are enduring a coronavirus surge.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

But what's the point of the data if no one analyzes it and writes about it? Point is to inform the public! They're going to be doing more of these articles in the future and they should.

Do you believe that article regarding already known data would have changed someone like sblfilm’s mind regarding mask mandates making a difference?

*this isn’t a loaded question 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm very pleased to see that my alma mater has had precisely one test come back positive. I'm unclear if that's just since their last update or this semester--I'm assuming this assuming given the size of the school--but still, one positive result out of 6,194 tests.

covid-college-cases-tracker-promo-159984
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

College campuses, like the rest of the country, are enduring a coronavirus surge.

P.S. They're primarily on-campus. The numbers aren't deflated by it being mostly remote.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Do you believe that article regarding already known data would have changed someone like sblfilm’s mind regarding mask mandates making a difference?

I don't think so, but I think it has a chance of changing the mind of someone who is actually skeptical yet open minded about the issue.  More information in the affirmative, usually helps. 

1 minute ago, Boyle5150 said:

I don't think so, but I think it has a chance of changing the mind of someone who is actually skeptical yet open minded about the issue.  More information in the affirmative, usually helps. 

Unfortunately, I don’t believe those people exist anymore in regards to COVID due to Trump politicizing things like masks. I made mention of something similar earlier (regarding finding value in the article if I believed it would change someone’s mind).

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Unfortunately, I don’t believe those people exist anymore in regards to COVID due to Trump politicizing things like masks.

I have truthfully changed a few minds about masks... granted they were not Trump supporters.  But yeah, It's getting harder to find such people. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Unfortunately, I don’t believe those people exist anymore in regards to COVID due to Trump politicizing things like masks. I made mention of something similar earlier (regarding finding value in the article if I believed it would change someone’s mind).

My neighbor who just lost her dad to COVID has done essentially a 180 on masks.  There is hope, but it seems for a lot of people, that realization only happens AFTER someone they know either gets super sick or dies. 

One thing I've learned from this, (yes i'm slow) is the importance of getting a flu shot.  I used to always look at it from my own personal perspective and thought "I don't really need one" instead of just how important it can be for other people if I get one.  

This is one parallel I find helps in discussions of masks, that a lot of anti-maskers fail to understand.  That its not about them, but rather its about other people. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

My neighbor who just lost her dad to COVID has done essentially a 180 on masks.  There is hope, but it seems for a lot of people, that realization only happens AFTER someone they know either gets super sick or dies. 

And that took an extreme: a loss of a loved one. Which is sad on a lot of levels. :/ 

13 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

I don't know... hopefully?

I meant have you had a mask conversation that changed an anti-maskers mind recently? Back in April/May, I changed several friends minds, including business partners, mostly by explaining how it works: the long incubation period where you can be contagious without symptoms and how the mask reduces your aerosol spread (and not that it’s primary purpose is meant to stop you from breathing in the virus). At this point in time, the people I’ve attempted to have that discussion with is like talking to a wall.

Edit: what I’m stating is that, in my opinion and anecdotally from my personal experience, those who were skeptical but willing to listen have long since realized the benefit of wearing a mask. The chances of finding someone willing to listen at this juncture seems remarkably low compared to 6-months ago. Does that make the data worthless? No. I was commenting on NYT being a rag :p 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

And that took an extreme: a loss of a loved one. Which is sad on a lot of levels. :/ 

I meant have you had a mask conversation that changed an anti-maskers mind recently? Back in April/May, I changed several friends minds, including business partners, mostly by explaining how it works: the long incubation period where you can be contagious without symptoms and how the mask reduces your aerosol spread (and not that it’s primary purpose is meant to stop you from breathing in the virus). At this point, having the people I’ve attempted to have that discussion with is like talking to a wall.

I understand what you asked, I just didn't answer very well.  

I hope I changed some minds recently, but I honestly don't know if I have or not.  A couple people seemed to be pretty receptive and saying things like "I haven't thought of it that way..." but they could very well have just dismissed it after.  I never asked if their mind has changed and for those people, I haven't really kept up a dialogue.  

Just now, Boyle5150 said:

I understand what you asked, I just didn't answer very well.  

I hope I changed some minds recently, but I honestly don't know if I have or not.  A couple people seemed to be pretty receptive and saying things like "I haven't thought of it that way..." but they could very well have just dismissed it after.  I never asked if their mind has changed and for those people, I haven't really kept up a dialogue.  

Well, are they wearing a mask when out now? :p 

Also, read my edit :) 

2 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Yeah, it's mandated here for all places of businesses to require masks, so even those who don't believe in them still wear them.  

It’s mandated in NJ too, there’s still people that refuse to wear them and attempt to enter businesses - these are the people I’m referencing, not the ones wearing them begrudgingly. :/ 

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh for sure! Also important to keep these things in the news with actual data to back it up.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s mandated in NJ too, there’s still people that refuse to wear them and attempt to enter businesses - these are the people I’m referencing, not the ones wearing them begrudgingly. :/ 

Yeah, those are like the remaining Trump supporters who are not going to be persuaded by any level of logic, knowledge, or reasoning.   

25 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

One thing I've learned from this, (yes i'm slow) is the importance of getting a flu shot.  I used to always look at it from my own personal perspective and thought "I don't really need one" instead of just how important it can be for other people if I get one.  

This is one parallel I find helps in discussions of masks, that a lot of anti-maskers fail to understand.  That its not about them, but rather its about other people. 

Masks also help protect yourself, and that's something these selfish pricks are all about: me, myself, and I.

COVID-19-SM-1200px.jpg
WWW.CDC.GOV

CDC provides credible COVID-19 health information to the U.S.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Masks also help protect yourself, and that's something these selfish pricks are all about: me, myself, and I.

COVID-19-SM-1200px.jpg
WWW.CDC.GOV

CDC provides credible COVID-19 health information to the U.S.

Yeah, I read this earlier, and have known this to be the case, but what I was getting at is that there are a lot of people who look at it in terms of being tough.  The thought that they will be fine, or are not worried if they get it, yet have trouble thinking about the fact that even if they are tough and not worried, then they should at least be caring enough for others to understand that it's not about themselves.