~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

7 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

This is a really great way to explain it.

If masks work why do we need to social distance?  If social distance works why do we need to wear masks?  If both work why do we need to lockdown?   GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Guillotine 1

24 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

If masks work why do we need to social distance?  If social distance works why do we need to wear masks?  If both work why do we need to lockdown?   GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If airbags work why do I need to be sober and wear a seatbelt when I drive my car?

CITB-LowerThird-noLogo-860x484.png
KVIA.COM

EL PASO, Texas -- El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego on Sunday afternoon ordered a 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew daily due to El Paso's coronavirus crisis. The curfew will be in effect for both the county and city starting Sunday night and continuing for two weeks. Law enforcement agencies will enforce the curfew

6 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:
CITB-LowerThird-noLogo-860x484.png
KVIA.COM

EL PASO, Texas -- El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego on Sunday afternoon ordered a 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew daily due to El Paso's coronavirus crisis. The curfew will be in effect for both the county and city starting Sunday night and continuing for two weeks. Law...

Their hospitals are officially at capacity. Shit has hit the fan there. 

I think someone (maybe even me, lol) had mentioned this before, but I found more details:

shutterstock_1662701254.jpg?itok=PsycpcR
WWW.PRINCETON.EDU

Researchers from the Princeton Environmental Institute find the continued spread of novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 is driven by only a small percentage of those who become infected.

Effectively, a small number of people are responsible for super-spreader events due to something unique about them (able to be more contagious). Also important: Children play a larger role in spreading than previously thought.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The outbreak in France is really staggering 😮

It's happening (almost) everywhere across the western world. There are areas where it's more under control than others (especially smaller, more isolated places like New Zealand or the Canadian Maritime Bubble), but in general it seems that people—especially young people—are just ignoring instructions now.

In my province's largest city, a single young man was being tested, but ignored the isolation order (after receiving the test but awaiting results) and went to a bar. There are over 80 cases now attributed to his visit. First off, bars should be closed, but even so, he's a fucking moron. 

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's happening (almost) everywhere across the western world. There are areas where it's more under control than others (especially smaller, more isolated places like New Zealand or the Canadian Maritime Bubble), but in general it seems that people—especially young people—are just ignoring instructions now.

In my province's largest city, a single young man was being tested, but ignored the isolation order (after receiving the test but awaiting results) and went to a bar. There are over 80 cases now attributed to his visit. First off, bars should be closed, but even so, he's a fucking moron. 

yeah, the numbers are rising everywhere in the west. France though is hitting daily rates that would be the population equivalent of 220,000 in the US at the moment. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

yeah, the numbers are rising everywhere in the west. France though is hitting daily rates that would be the population equivalent of 220,000 in the US at the moment. 

Definitely crazy. From what someone has said on Resetera, it's not even getting that much news in France compared to here, either. I've heard that Belgium and the Netherlands are also taking a beating. It seems that Germany is doing the best, but it's still increasing there.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Definitely crazy. From what someone has said on Resetera, it's not even getting that much news in France compared to here, either. I've heard that Belgium and the Netherlands are also taking a beating. It seems that Germany is doing the best, but it's still increasing there.

Germans are not as touchy-feely and smoochy-smoochy like some of the neighbors. 

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

Sucks to see and I hope it goes down quickly, but maybe the first-world mocking the US in the summer wasn't the greatest strat ever?

Well, while the situation is deteriorating now in Europe, they did handle it much better at the beginning. Their population was willing to lockdown for the good of all a lot more willingly than Americans...but I guess every ground of young people has their limits, unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Netherlands currently has two patients in a German ICU due to overcrowding.  

14 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Germans are not as touchy-feely and smoochy-smoochy like some of the neighbors. 

I've heard this as a theory but not sure if it's supported by the evidence. Are Belgians and Dutch similarly cold-ish?

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well, while the situation is deteriorating now in Europe, they did handle it much better at the beginning. Their population was willing to lockdown for the good of all a lot more willingly than Americans...but I guess every ground of young people has their limits, unfortunately.

Americans were simply ahead of the curve at getting tired of lockdowns. It was always inevitable that the west would crater this way, unless you have the exact right mix of physical isolation and community ethic.

8 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Yes, they are.

A little less cold in the Netherlands.  Family and friends will kiss cheeks.  While I'm an American, my father is from the Netherlands so I had exposure to Dutch culture through my grandparents along with relatives who would come to visit from overseas.

My family has been getting way too loose with this virus and it’s making me sad. Last weekend my sister and mother went to an indoor wedding where my sister was the only one wearing mask at the whole. That’s the worse instance of it but I know they’ve been hanging out with friends like nothing changed. My 89 year old grandmother lives with them. She is pretty far along in her dementia so she has no awareness to the fact that her own family members are risking her own life in order to enjoy social functions without protection. If one of them infects her and it can be traced to an even like the wedding they went to, it’s going to be really hard for me to forgive them if it ends up taking her life.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

This quarantine, this Covid, the election...it's all taken a huge toll on both my physical and mental state.

Maybe I need to look into antidepressants...

You're a good person who contributes to this community, and I appreciate and look forward to your posts! 

There is nothing wrong with seeing a counselor and/or being on antidepressants, I have done both in the past. This year is a hard year.

37 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

This quarantine, this Covid, the election...it's all taken a huge toll on both my physical and mental state.

Maybe I need to look into antidepressants...

Just don’t expect anti-depressants to work quickly. A lot of people get upset when its not working within a few weeks. It can take 6+ months to really start feeling better. 

that said if you start taking them and it gets worse, go straight back to your doctor. Certain antidepressants can make people more depressed 

I've been lazy to post about this here but I hope the US will learn from Canada, Thanksgiving gatherings = very bad, don't do it! Our current outbreaks are worse than the first wave and we've been seeing a sizable bump thanks to canadian thanksgiving a few weeks ago. -.-