~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

200914563512fbae9f072d270233badd
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Venezuela plans to vaccinate citizens with Russian and Chinese coronavirus vaccines, which could arrive in the South American nation in December or January, President Nicolas Maduro said on Tuesday. "It has been announced that the completed Russian and Chinese vaccines should arrive by December

• Guillotine 1

3 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Wife and I and our 2 year old son got our flu shots today.

Get your flu shots.

I have an appointment to get one Friday myself.  I cannot even recall the last time I've ever gotten one, but this is clearly one Flu season that you do not want to fuck around with.  

5f8823632a400c0019debc99?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

China stamped out COVID-19 within months and has responded to small outbreaks by testing entire cities in days.

This should (but won't) be seen as a strong condemnation of western society. China showed us the way to control this pandemic but we just couldn't do it.

They were able to clean up this virus in a few months, while we're probably not going to even have this mess cleaned up by next year. It's not just this pandemic I'm thinking about. This is just the first chapter in the book of how China wins. There's going to be more problems like this in the future, and every time China will do what they do best and that's working together as a country to solve it. All the while we'll repeat our bang up performance we've shown with coronavirus: We'll bicker rather than listen, we'll fight against any slight inconvenience, and we'll continue to show that we just... don't care about each other.

3 hours ago, SilentWorld said:
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

China stamped out COVID-19 within months and has responded to small outbreaks by testing entire cities in days.

This should (but won't) be seen as a strong condemnation of western society. China showed us the way to control this pandemic but we just couldn't do it.

They were able to clean up this virus in a few months, while we're probably not going to even have this mess cleaned up by next year. It's not just this pandemic I'm thinking about. This is just the first chapter in the book of how China wins. There's going to be more problems like this in the future, and every time China will do what they do best and that's working together as a country to solve it. All the while we'll repeat our bang up performance we've shown with coronavirus: We'll bicker rather than listen, we'll fight against any slight inconvenience, and we'll continue to show that we just... don't care about each other.

You're also forgetting the key point... China created the virus and has the means to stop it ;)

• Guillotine 1

10 hours ago, SilentWorld said:
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

If I’m not mistaken, they literally welded doors shut to keep people from leaving their homes, which led to people starving and suicides.

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

Welp, I got it. I woke up with a fever on Monday and my positive test came back today. It's been an exceptionally mild case, fortunately. Have not really had a cough at all.  Mostly just fatigue once the fever went away, which it did within a day. Seems like I got lucky.

Any clue how you got it?

3 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Welp, I got it. I woke up with a fever on Monday and my positive test came back today. It's been an exceptionally mild case, fortunately. Have not really had a cough at all.  Mostly just fatigue once the fever went away, which it did within a day. Seems like I got lucky.

To be clear, I am hearting that you are fine, sir.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Any clue how you got it?

Yeah, actually. I got an offer for an in-person interview, which I really should have just said no to outright, but I had reason to believe that they were gonna offer me more money than I'm making which they did but uh... yeah, the mask enforcement there was clearly uh, lax, and the office basically felt like one giant plume of aerosols. It was easily the most high risk place I've been in since March. Suffice to say, I'm not gonna work there.

11 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Glad to hear it’s been mild. Hope it stays that way for you!

5 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Yeah, actually. I got an offer for an in-person interview, which I really should have just said no to outright, but I had reason to believe that they were gonna offer me more money than I'm making which they did but uh... yeah, the mask enforcement there was clearly uh, lax, and the office basically felt like one giant plume of aerosols. It was easily the most high risk place I've been in since March. Suffice to say, I'm not gonna work there.

Maybe a dumb question, but I am curious. Since you got it anyway, why not recover, take the job, and count on the antibodies? Seems like the worst the place can do to you it already did to you.

My apologies if I am missing some super obvious with the current understanding of the virus. I know there is some proof you can be reinfected, but sounds like it's very rare and the proof of it is not even really definitive yet.

27 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Have you let them know? About covid or declining? Or both? 

I imagine that would be a fun conversation. 

Glad to hear you're ok.

Good to hear you're doing okay Rico. 

I woke up this morning feeling fatigued and having a very slightly higher temp than normal. Not fever territory though. I've just been laying around and not doing anything. I scheduled a test for Saturday to see if it's covid. Fingers crossed I don't wake up feeling worse tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Maybe a dumb question, but I am curious. Since you got it anyway, why not recover, take the job, and count on the antibodies? Seems like the worst the place can do to you it already did to you.

My apologies if I am missing some super obvious with the current understanding of the virus. I know there is some proof you can be reinfected, but sounds like it's very rare and the proof of it is not even really definitive yet.

Even in the best of circumstances I would've gotten bad vibes from the place. The workspace I would've been in was like this drab little loft above a production floor with four people in it who didn't even really have cubes to themselves, just desks against a wall, and a bunch of random shit strewn about in the room. The dollar amount they'd have to offer me to work there would be pretty high.

45 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Have you let them know? About covid or declining? Or both? 

I imagine that would be a fun conversation. 

Glad to hear you're ok.

I'd already let them know I was declining before I tested positive. The CDC site says to just let get a hold of close contacts within 48 hours of your first symptoms, and the interview was well outside of that, so I see no reason to go above and beyond that because based on what I saw they're absolutely not gonna go above and beyond in self-isolating or anything.

Basically 2 doses for every Canadian, and a new facility in Quebec to manufacture vaccines. Also announced that federally-procured rapid tests are now being distributed to the provinces.

This is on top of the already-purchased. Vaccines from other countries. So we will have a plethora of options, depending on which candidates win out.

All told, the federal government has secured 358 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine — an insurance policy if some of the vaccines in development prove to be ineffective in clinical trials.

So 10 doses per person, though obviously only some will win.

Cases are rising fast, here, which is bad. 😬