~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Quibble on her election strategy comment: prepping for the debate, which will get a large audience, is a good move. He's been campaigning a lot the past few months and getting this last big moment (that he can control) correct is a big deal as the debate is less than two weeks prior to the last day to vote.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Quick question—are slavic people considered white for this definition? I know Wade doesn't consider them truly white, so I hope I can get away from being enslaved on that technicality.

He might have something else in mind for you. :devil:

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Quick question—are slavic people considered white for this definition? I know Wade doesn't consider them truly white, so I hope I can get away from being enslaved on that technicality.

Traditionally no in the sense of country club admissions, but white Christian Americans seem to have convinced themselves that Russia is the last great bastion/defender of white Christianity.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Traditionally no in the sense of country club admissions, but white Christian Americans seem to have convinced themselves that Russia is the last great bastion/defender of white Christianity.

nana changing GIF

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

nana changing GIF

This is absolutely correct.

Russia/Moscow is currently identified in religious conservative circles as the "Third Rome" of Christendom in succession after the original Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire (Constantinople).  As such, it has taken up the mantle as the "Defender of Christianity" against the godless brown-skinned hordes.

10 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Russia is currently identified in religious conservative circles as the "Third Rome" of Christendom in succession after the original Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire (Constantinople).  As such, it has taken up the mantle as the "Defender of Christianity" against the godless brown-skinned hordes.

And in pre-1917 russia, defending autocracy across europe from republicanism 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is flat out not a commonly held view amongst American Christians 😂

It may not be "common", but it very much exists in conservative white Christianity.

file-20180830-195310-mfbxze.jpg?ixlib=rb
THECONVERSATION.COM

During the Cold War, American evangelicals smuggled Bibles and other Christian literature to the Soviet Union and other communist countries. They still see Russia as a partner on evangelical values.

170208-putin-christmas-getty-1160.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

While the U.S. passed gay-rights laws, Moscow moved hard the other way.

Just now, Jason said:

You may not hold this view, but you're also not white.

As you can see in the article Wade linked to, it’s a slice of a slice of white Christians in America. Maybe I read your previous post wrong, but it seemed like your position was this was the default position of white Christians in America. 

c6544c0bcc7cceca9629861d48fee9e47b-12-pu
NYMAG.COM

The president-elect might admire him as an authoritarian tough guy, but many Evangelical leaders see him as an ideological ally.

That’s right, Donald Trump and his alt-right fanbase are hardly the only Americans who deeply admire Vladimir Putin: He has a fairly large fan club among politically active U.S. Christian conservatives.

It includes some pretty big names, like conservative Evangelical leader Franklin Graham, National Organization for Marriage leader Brian Brown, and American Family Association spokesperson Bryan Fischer. In almost every case it has been his distinctive combination of homophobia and Islamophobia that has made Putin one of the Christian right’s favorite international figures. The cultural conservative preference for authoritarian Christian Slavs who are fighting Muslims has, as Beinart notes, carried over from the Serbs to their traditional sponsors in Moscow, and most especially to the former KGB officer who has revived Russia’s pre-communist tradition of militantly traditionalist Christianity.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:45 PM, sblfilms said:

This is flat out not a commonly held view amongst American Christians 😂

It doesn't have to be preached from pulpits that "Russia is the vanguard of saving Christianity." It normally takes the form of "well they've sure come a long way from communism! This is wonderful to hear! I wish our leaders were more like that!"

On 10/19/2020 at 2:31 PM, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Russia/Moscow is currently identified in religious conservative circles as the "Third Rome" of Christendom in succession after the original Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire (Constantinople).  As such, it has taken up the mantle as the "Defender of Christianity" against the godless brown-skinned hordes.

The Europa Universalis 4 DLC for Russia is called "The third Rome"

3 hours ago, CayceG said:

It doesn't have to be preached from pulpits that "Russia is the vanguard of saving Christianity." It normally takes the form of "well they've sure come a long way from communism! This is wonderful to hear! I wish our leaders were more like that!"

This is also not a commonly stated position in predominately white churches in America. I’m sure there are some people who do hold such views.