~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Welp, my province hit a record number of 939 cases today and the provincial government finally got off its ass today to do something about it. So we're heading back to a partial shutdown (no indoor restaurant dinning, gyms, etc.).

image.jpg
WWW.CP24.COM

The province is closing gyms, movie theatres, and indoor dining rooms in restaurants in Toronto, Ottawa, and Peel Region as the province moves to put the COVID-19 hotspots into a modified version of Stage 2.

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I mentioned to my better half (keep in mind she's a self-proclaimed moderate and in law enforcement) that Trump made health a big issue with Hillary and tried to do the same with Biden. She said something that I've not heard but apparently there are variations, "Karma isn't swift but she collects with interest." I was actually surprised that she shrugged her shoulders about people probably attending a rally from Trump this weekend. "At a certain point, you're responsible for your own actions. How many times can you tell someone to wear a mask and social distance?"

Similar thing my brother said. He's not very political, but he feels these people attending rallies or being anti-mask are winners of the Darwin award. None of these people are hardcore Democrats or progressives, yet I feel like they're less forgiving to these folk than I am.

I continue to hope that is what we're seeing and they can't be swayed by whatever crazy shit gets pulled out of nowhere this month. I know for those two, they're voting Biden 100%.

In general I would agree with their thoughts but MAGA chuds being careless affects me and others I care about even when we're taking precautions.

4 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

Uhhh, is this based on the two above videos?  He cleared his throat once in each clip.  I think you guys are stretching on this.

It's based on all his actions lately. Even just looking at his feverish and panicked tweets regarding CARES negotiations he tanked the markets! He's in no state to be responsible for operating heavy machinery much less the goddamn country!

24 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

It's based on all his actions lately. Even just looking at his feverish and panicked tweets regarding CARES negotiations he tanked the markets! He's in no state to be responsible for operating heavy machinery much less the goddamn country!

But that’s been the case since he was elected.

it could be that he is sensing the end of his reign of terror so he’s gotta try and get all his “favours’ in.

4 hours ago, chakoo said:

Welp, my province hit a record number of 939 cases today and the provincial government finally got off its ass today to do something about it. So we're heading back to a partial shutdown (no indoor restaurant dinning, gyms, etc.).

image.jpg
WWW.CP24.COM

The province is closing gyms, movie theatres, and indoor dining rooms in restaurants in Toronto, Ottawa, and Peel Region as the province moves to put the COVID-19 hotspots into a modified version of Stage 2.

Things my friends and I have not been doing anyway.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Pretty much everyone I know is having people over for Thanksgiving this weekend. "Oh it's just my parents and siblings and a friend or two, they're in my bubble."

Yeah except who is in their bubble, you moron?

It's not thanksgiving dinner that's going to cause problems. It's thousands of people attending a football game or motorcycle rally, and we're fortunately not doing any of that nonsense in Canada.

We're doing pretty good in Saskatchewan. 24 people have died of covid so far this year. I'm comparing that to 71 people (a record low amount btw) dying in automobile accidents in the province last year. And realistically, even if the number was more than twice as high, say 150, I doubt anyone would be proposing drastic action to curb automobile deaths. Now I'm not saying that people shouldn't take precautions -- we should, and are. Public gatherings are limited in size, people are wearing facemasks in public (though I wish more people would do this) and every retail outlet I've been to recently has hand sanitizer situated by the door. But I don't think it's fair to call people morons for wanting to see their siblings and parents for thanksgiving. 

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Pretty much everyone I know is having people over for Thanksgiving this weekend. "Oh it's just my parents and siblings and a friend or two, they're in my bubble."

It drives me crazy. It's only October and my wife and I already decided we weren't going anywhere or hosting anyone for Christmas. We're just going to be Santa dropping off presents on the doorsteps of of friends and family.

We were having a civil debate at the end of work today.  One of the guys I work with is all about herd immunity and isolating the old and sick. In response, another coworker said, "Yeah, but what happens when you (not caring about COVID) bring it home to your grandparents or relative with cancer?  Aren't you worried that you are going to create a lot of orphans?"

"There are a lot of orphans already"  He responded.  "I think we as society know how to take care of orphans."

• Guillotine 3

7 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

We were having a civil debate at the end of work today.  One of the guys I work with is all about herd immunity and isolating the old and sick. In response, another coworker said, "Yeah, but what happens when you (not caring about COVID) bring it home to your grandparents or relative with cancer?  Aren't you worried that you are going to create a lot of orphans?"

"There are a lot of orphans already"  He responded.  "I think we as society know how to take care of orphans."

This is dumb because it simplifies the results of a COVID-19 infection to either dead or alive when there's a huge amount of gray area in between that we don't yet fully understand. We may very well end up with half of an entire generation with damaged lungs and asthma for the rest of their lives. This is ignoring any potential heart or kidney problems we could also be seeing.

40 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Hubba de a humamaba?

-my reaction to the last sentence 

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I fucking hate this knowing how our foster care system is. Half of my brothers and sister in law are adopted!

4 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

In 20-30 years when society really starts to fall apart and unravel in to civil unrest, the motto of the GOP will be "this life is only a temporary vessel for eternal salvation. If I die, I die."

You already hear it from time to time, but it will be the ultimate out to any substantive conversation.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

TIL there's a Canadian Thanksgiving.