~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Yeah, he's symptom free but not making any sort of appearance. That really seems in line with everything we know about this man.

I suspect he's in a bed with tubes coming out of every hole.

He probably wanted to go back to the White House because the doctors at the White House lie better.

35 minutes ago, vaxick said:
GettyImages-1228828887_sfokxm
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

Some Trump aides don’t want him to leave the White House but are unsure how long he'll keep self-isolating, sources told Bloomberg.

"Tried" implies that someone managed to prevent it???

3 hours ago, elbobo said:

So the WHO is now saying that 1 in 10 people have contracted COVID-19, how is that possible? That would be 760 million infected with only around 1 million dead. Either the fatality rate is way way less than what we have been told or their numbers are totally off. 

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-archive-united-nations-54a3a5869c9ae4ee623497691e796083

The severity of Covid-19 and fatality rate varies significantly by age -- if you are under 30, you are likely to be asymptomatic and unlikely to have any significant negative health outcomes unless you already have significant health issues that make you susceptible to the infection.  If you are over 90, you are more likely than not to die from the disease.  Some studies have even shown that the "comorbidities", such as obesity, pulmonary issues, etc., don't become statistically significant unless the patient is above 65. 

Because of the amount of asymptomatic infections, and the general lack of testing, the amount of people who have truly been infected is unknown -- and estimates from reputable infectious disease experts vary wildly.

Add on:  In Ontario, where I live -- the fatality rates (based on government reporting) are:

Under 20 -- .02%

20s -- .04%

30s -- .09%

40s -- .37%

50s  -- 1.23%

60s -- 5.00%

70s -- 15.92%

80s -- 28.29%

90s -- 37.08%

Some researchers have suggested that because of lack of testing, those rates (particularly those for younger people) may be overstated by a factor of 7-8.

18 hours ago, osxmatt said:

This is a common tactic among right-wing personalities, and probably the most frustrating.

They create a narrative that doesn’t exist ie Democrats are hoping that Trump dies of COVID or are now cursing his recovery.

It creates an infinite cycle / well of grievance politics. It’s also really common among 2nd amendment supporters ie Democrats want to take your guns or the media is trying to provoke a civil war.

OSXmatt:  I'm not joking when I say Donald Trump dying would have been the best thing for our country. I don't wish it upon him, largely because I don't want to be a person that wishes death on someone, but it would have solved our impending constitutional crisis.

Literally this entire board is filled with liberals including yourself hoping Trump dies or cursing his recovery, often in vivid detail. You can't claim it's a false narrative, because it is the narrative. Unless you mean among the actual elected Democrats, in which case it would case it would just be poor form to openly call for the death of your opposition.

Yes Wade, we know you would have no problems openly calling for the death of your opposition. 

47 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The severity of Covid-19 and fatality rate varies significantly by age -- if you are under 30, you are likely to be asymptomatic and unlikely to have any significant negative health outcomes unless you already have significant health issues that make you susceptible to the infection.  If you are over 90, you are more likely than not to die from the disease.  Some studies have even shown that the "comorbidities", such as obesity, pulmonary issues, etc., don't become statistically significant unless the patient is above 65. 

Because of the amount of asymptomatic infections, and the general lack of testing, the amount of people who have truly been infected is unknown -- and estimates from reputable infectious disease experts vary wildly.

30 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Add on:  In Ontario, where I live -- the fatality rates (based on government reporting) are:

Under 20 -- .02%

20s -- .04%

30s -- .09%

40s -- .37%

50s  -- 1.23%

60s -- 5.00%

70s -- 15.92%

80s -- 28.29%

90s -- 37.08%

Some researchers have suggested that because of lack of testing, those rates (particularly those for younger people) may be overstated by a factor of 7-8.

I haven't seen any updated R-0 values lately using this 10% finding, but if we're assuming more people have had it than we realize that would mean it's more infectious than we have calculated with previous known values.  Thus, even though it will be less fatal, it getting exposed to more people is one of the (major) factors there are so many deaths (particularly compared to the Flu).

A US-focused study also found about 10% of the US adult population has had it.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32009-2/fulltext

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

OSXmatt:  I'm not joking when I say Donald Trump dying would have been the best thing for our country. I don't wish it upon him, largely because I don't want to be a person that wishes death on someone, but it would have solved our impending constitutional crisis.

Literally this entire board is filled with liberals including yourself hoping Trump dies or cursing his recovery, often in vivid detail. You can't claim it's a false narrative, because it is the narrative. Unless you mean among the actual elected Democrats, in which case it would case it would just be poor form to openly call for the death of your opposition.

Yes Wade, we know you would have no problems openly calling for the death of your opposition. 

There is a difference between believing a death would serve the greater good, and wishing death upon someone.

Republicans and Fox News lack the integrity and the audience to explain the nuance, so they simplify it to "Democrats are hoping Trump dies of COVID." I don't mean anything by it, because it isn't my talking point. It's a talking point that's extremely common among Fox primetime lineup the past week.

I suppose Hannity or Tucker could be talking about your average dayonepatch user when they say "Democrats are apoplectic about Trump's recovery," but its very clear based on the context of their diatribes they are talking about Democratic leadership and the Democratic Party.

13 minutes ago, Dodger said:

in which case it would case it would just be poor form to openly call for the death of your opposition.

They are our opposition because they have purposefully made us their opposition, for the sole sake of being opposed to any proposition put forth without any legitimate reason other than to be oppugnant, because otherwise if they appeased our proposals they would all be but plainly admitting we are the proper ones and they would then be portrayed as the pointless, purposeless, impotent party capitulating to our power.

28 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I disagree with Matt sometimes, but I don't think he is saying something even remotely controversial here.

• Like 1
  • Guillotine 1

50 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I haven't seen any updated R-0 values lately using this 10% finding, but if we're assuming more people have had it than we realize that would mean it's more infectious than we have calculated with previous known values.  Thus, even though it will be less fatal, it getting exposed to more people is one of the (major) factors there are so many deaths (particularly compared to the Flu).

A US-focused study also found about 10% of the US adult population has had it.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32009-2/fulltext

Maybe - rho is something the modelers really like. If super spreaders are as much a part of the disease as some people think - the infectiousness of Covid may vary quite a bit between different hosts. In reality, most experts will admit we don’t understand how Covid is spread, what size droplets spread it or even how/why super spreaders exist. It might even suggest that rho is largely irrelevant for Covid.