~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Accurate.  And they are still working around the clock with international agencies in order to figure out the best ways to proceed. All of this coordination  is being done with zero top down organization. Hug a scientist... (I haven't posted much because I haven't seen my wife in 10 days)

Chinese stock market is -8% today https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health/chinese-markets-plunge-as-rising-virus-death-toll-fuels-fears-for-global-growth-idUSKBN1ZX00T

Experts say the outbreak is increasingly likely to become a pandemic, and the true number of cases may be 100,000 according to some models https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/health/coronavirus-pandemic-china.html

43 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

@Iculus- are the demographics of the fatalities shifting towards "non-vulnerable" populations?

It is super foggy at the moment, because most of the casualties have occurred in China. If their reporting is accurate then it doesn't appear so.

There are several countries that have completely cut off inbound flights from China. Now people are just taking one way flights to Japan, and then traveling to other destinations. So yeah, you don't necessarily want potentially infected people in your country, but at least they were being tracked before the bans.

(I haven't seen my wife today, and they just started getting enough data to make competent models. I'll ask for clarification when i get home)

1 minute ago, Chadatog said:

I mean he's not wrong, but there is a bit more nuance to it than that.

Cold forces people inside. That's why diseases spread more in the cold. (Not insinuating that you didn't know that, just adding to your post) being cold and/or wet have zero impact on potential infections. The pathogen still has to be present.

What is really interesting to me is that these sorts of diseases usually affect the really old, and really young. There have been confirmed pediatric cases, but 0 deaths so far. The mortality rate also skews a bit higher in men than women, as a percentage not total.

Oh, and there are potentially 50,000 (with only 5000 traceable) infected people roaming California. 

22 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Cold forces people inside. That's why diseases spread more in the cold. (Not insinuating that you didn't know that, just adding to your post) being cold and/or wet have zero impact on potential infections. The pathogen still has to be present.

I was referring to the fact that at least for flu having more sunlight can reduce how long the virus is viable on surfaces, also I test production animals for coronavirus (turkeys and pigs) and yes, our biggest spike in positives is when animals go inside the animal houses. Close quarters and "stress" will increase the likleyhood of it spreading easily.

Over 300 cases in Korea now, and 2 deaths. The number of infected has skyrocketed over the past few days, mainly linked to a cult. One member of this Christian cult was infected, and spread it around the group. The cult prays by sitting in a circle and hugging each other, so it was really easy to spread. Members of this cult volunteer at a mental hospital, and that's where the 2 deaths occured. Expect the number of infected to jump way up in the next few days. The cult has a lot of members, and aren't too willing to cooperate with hospitals or authorities. Their leader, who of course claims to be the messiah, claimed that only prayer and faith can save you from the virus. So buckle up. The next week is going to be fun.

7 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Over 300 cases in Korea now, and 2 deaths. The number of infected has skyrocketed over the past few days, mainly linked to a cult. One member of this Christian cult was infected, and spread it around the group. The cult prays by sitting in a circle and hugging each other, so it was really easy to spread. Members of this cult volunteer at a mental hospital, and that's where the 2 deaths occured. Expect the number of infected to jump way up in the next few days. The cult has a lot of members, and aren't too willing to cooperate with hospitals or authorities. Their leader, who of course claims to be the messiah, claimed that only prayer and faith can save you from the virus. So buckle up. The next week is going to be fun.

What a maroon, obviously he should be telling his followers to put potatoes in their socks.

43 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Has there ever been any explanation/analysis of why South Korea has such a preponderance of Christian cults?

12 hours ago, CayceG said:

Was it the Moonies?

So in August I got a side hustle as a server in a sushi restaurant. I found out recently that 90% of the people that work there are Moonies. In fact, there is a huge Moonie conspiracy in the sushi Amricans eat. Crazy shit!

13 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Has there ever been any explanation/analysis of why South Korea has such a preponderance of Christian cults?

South Korea combination of high suicide and terrible state of mental health makes them easy targets. These groups are also absolutely fanatical when it comes to getting new members. They make the JW's and Mormons look weak in comparison , these groups will often move in to smaller churches and congregations to convert and take over . 

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/article/3010763/whats-behind-south-koreas-attraction-fringe-churches

• Thanks 1