~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

23 minutes ago, Chadatog said:

Why would trump wear one?  It protects the wearer, and he already has covid.  N95 masks don't keep the covid in.  A normal cloth mask is sufficient.  Now the valve on the secret service members isn't a problem as long as they don't have covid.  But most places i've been just wear a cloth mask over the N95 to cover all the bases.  They should be more concerned with wearing eye shields than anything else.

I probably misread this post, but you're saying Trump shouldn't be wearing a mask?

Also, N95's do a better job of keeping the COVID in, yes.

From the poorly communicated Duke study on different types of masks.

We measured a droplet transmission fraction ranging from below 0.1% (fitted N95 mask) to 110% (neck gaiter, see discussion below) relative to the control trials.

*  This study was limited in the size of droplets it looked at, and:

Still, determining mask efficacy is a complex topic that is still an active field of research [see, for example, (9)], made even more complicated because the infection pathways for COVID-19 are not yet fully understood and are complicated by many factors such as the route of transmission, correct fit and usage of masks, and environmental variables. 

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

I probably misread this post, but you're saying Trump shouldn't be wearing a mask?

Also, N95's do a better job of keeping the COVID in, yes.

No I wasn't saying that.  What I was saying (apparently not very well) was that Trump wearing a cloth mask was good enough with the SS team wearing N95 masks.  Sure a N95 mask would be better, but there is a reason that they don't want non-medical people wearing them.  You need to be fit tested and undoubtedly Trump wouldn't wear it correctly (or not be able to breath well in it with current respiration issues).  So a cloth face mask for him with the SS team wearing N95's is good.  My other point was that the valve on the SS N95 valve masks wasn't a problem as long as they were not asymptomatic spreaders, and a simple solution would be to wear a cloth mask over the N95.  My biggest concern was that their eyes were completely unprotected and the most effective addition to PPE would be eye shields.

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Cases in Toronto have massively spiked (250+ cases/day) and the city's health department has suspended contact tracing as they can no longer keep up. This is very bad.

Brampton is actually worse than Toronto on a per capita basis -- which is masked because Ontario only reports "Peel", but you can see the breakdown on the Peel site.

That said, the Waterfront/Little Portugal areas of Toronto and the area near York University/Rexdale are on fire.  I'm concerned that they are looking at these huge Public Health Units like Toronto and Peel, and missing huge outbreaks that are happening in certain neighbourhoods.  They should have clamped down on Brampton/Waterfront weeks ago.

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Brampton is actually worse than Toronto on a per capita basis -- which is masked because Ontario only reports "Peel", but you can see the breakdown on the Peel site.

That said, the Waterfront/Little Portugal areas of Toronto and the area near York University/Rexdale are on fire.  I'm concerned that they are looking at these huge Public Health Units like Toronto and Peel, and missing huge outbreaks that are happening in certain neighbourhoods.  They should have clamped down on Brampton/Waterfront weeks ago.

The really unfortunate part is that I don't think the provincial government is going to do anything at this point. One of the big changes I'd like to see in Canadian politics is the amendment of the constitution to include powers delegated to metropolitan cities. Right now Ontario can overrule anything Toronto does, even if Toronto wants to enforce stricter lockdowns in some neighbourhoods. There's no reason why a city of 6.5 million can't set its own policy when 8 out of the 10 provinces have smaller populations.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

The really unfortunate part is that I don't think the provincial government is going to do anything at this point. One of the big changes I'd like to see in Canadian politics is the amendment of the constitution to include powers delegated to metropolitan cities. Right now Ontario can overrule anything Toronto does, even if Toronto wants to enforce stricter lockdowns in some neighbourhoods. There's no reason why a city of 6.5 million can't set its own policy when 8 out of the 10 provinces have smaller populations.

Toronto is 2.7 million, but your point still stands.  TBH, I don't think John Tory has the political will to order a shutdown -- he wants Ford to take the political flack.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Toronto is 2.7 million, but your point still stands.  TBH, I don't think John Tory has the political will to order a shutdown -- he wants Ford to take the political flack.

True, I was including the metro pop, which imo should be absorbed. One of the biggest burdens that large cities face is not having control over the suburbs, and losing lots of money to them yet having to supply jobs and services to people who live there. However, even only including the megacity pop of 2.7 million, that's still bigger than 6 out of the 10 provinces!

lol, how is fucking Fredo the voice of reason here

donald-trump-covid-joyride.jpg
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

The president’s recklessness at Walter Reed has Don Jr. pushing for an intervention, but Ivanka and Jared “keep telling Trump how great he’s doing,” a source says.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Chadatog said:

No I wasn't saying that.  What I was saying (apparently not very well) was that Trump wearing a cloth mask was good enough with the SS team wearing N95 masks.  Sure a N95 mask would be better, but there is a reason that they don't want non-medical people wearing them.  You need to be fit tested and undoubtedly Trump wouldn't wear it correctly (or not be able to breath well in it with current respiration issues).  So a cloth face mask for him with the SS team wearing N95's is good.  My other point was that the valve on the SS N95 valve masks wasn't a problem as long as they were not asymptomatic spreaders, and a simple solution would be to wear a cloth mask over the N95.  My biggest concern was that their eyes were completely unprotected and the most effective addition to PPE would be eye shields.

How does getting fitted for an N95 work? I'm familiar with using respirator/gas/scba masks but not this type or how it differs. Those are really easy to figure out if they're being used correctly

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

How does getting fitted for an N95 work? I'm familiar with using respirator/gas/scba masks but not this type or how it differs. Those are really easy to figure out if they're being used correctly

There was a twitter post very early into this thread that showed the involved process of getting fit and then having to test it out with a spray test and all this other stuff.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

True, I was including the metro pop, which imo should be absorbed. One of the biggest burdens that large cities face is not having control over the suburbs, and losing lots of money to them yet having to supply jobs and services to people who live there. However, even only including the megacity pop of 2.7 million, that's still bigger than 6 out of the 10 provinces!

This is a total tangent -- but I'm not sure that is the case in Toronto.  Mississauga (and all of the other GTA suburbs) actually have higher residential property tax rates than Toronto, and Mississauga has a net amount of people commuting into it from Toronto.  But that's a discussion for a different thread.  :)

1 hour ago, Jason said:

lol, how is fucking Fredo the voice of reason here

donald-trump-covid-joyride.jpg
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

The president’s recklessness at Walter Reed has Don Jr. pushing for an intervention, but Ivanka and Jared “keep telling Trump how great he’s doing,” a source says.

You missed the best part of that article, where a clearly dementia’d Fred Trump would go into his office and be given blank pieces of paper to sign his name on.