~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

7 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

There's been a theory people have kept floating out there that once you get to about 20% exposure in a given area then herd immunity effects start kicking in because of preexisting cross-immunity of some form or another, and it seems like there are several places now that are really debunking that theory. Florida is persistently at +3,000 cases a day. New York is maybe ticking back up again. In Europe, Spain has been way up again.

In regards to Spain, I think @Joesaid it is a different region of Spain seeing the virus growth than the initial region. I believe the same is true for NYS.

Sweden has very few cases in Stockholm and most new cases relative to population are in areas that weren’t as hard hit in the early months of the outbreak.

Not to say that the 20% figure is true, just that we need to look at more localized outbreak information to see how prior outbreaks affect the size of subsequent outbreaks.

Yeah, I'm sure it is true that the highest concentrations are in different areas than in the first wave, but I also think it's plainly true that we're not right on the precipice of getting to a place where the virus no longer has any opportunities to grow anywhere. A lot of people are still trying to cling to the notion that we're right around the corner from getting back to normal, with or without a vaccine.

All of the Toronto suburbs are starting to spike.  Mississauga and Oakville were at less than 1/100k up until 2 days ago, today they are 6/100k -- and rising every day.  In Mississauga, more than 80% are under 40, with ~50% being 20-29.  It's time to shut the bars, night clubs and cinemas -- that age group clearly isn't physically distancing like the rest of us.

t_4df75a199d6b41f6800fa6998d8600f2_name_
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

“There is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel distances beyond 6 feet (for example, during choir...

VERY interesting 

TL;DR: more testing and studies needed, but taking NAC orally at 600mg/day may work as a preventative measure for those at a high risk of exposure.

To my knowledge there’s no long term or ill side effects of NAC at 600mg/day for 3-6 months (that’s not to say 6+ months is dangerous, I just haven’t seen any studies that surpass 6 months).

5RFAQCHMNQI6VPIIDMIBGK2FR4.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Shortly after Congress passed the Cares Act, the Pentagon began directing pandemic-related money to defense contractors.

A $1 billion fund Congress gave the Pentagon in March to build up the country’s supplies of medical equipment has instead been mostly funneled to defense contractors and used for making things such as jet engine parts, body armor and dress uniforms.

• Guillotine 2

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/sep/21/landmark-moment-156-countries-agree-to-covid-vaccine-allocation-deal

'Landmark moment': 156 countries agree to Covid vaccine allocation deal (not the US)

A coalition of 156 countries has agreed a “landmark” deal to enable the rapid and equitable global distribution of any new coronavirus vaccines to 3% of participating countries’ populations, to protect vulnerable healthcare systems, frontline health workers and those in social care settings.

The Covid-19 vaccine allocation plan – co-led by the World Health Organization and known as Covax – has been set up to ensure that the research, purchase and distribution of any new vaccine is shared equally between the world’s richest countries and those in the developing world.

Sixty-four higher income economies have already joined Covax, which includes commitments from 35 economies as well as the European commission, which will procure doses on behalf of the 27 EU member states plus Norway and Iceland, with 38 more expected to join in the coming days.

Ultimately the scheme aims to deliver 2bn doses of safe, effective vaccines around the world by the end of 2021.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/unfathomable-u-s-death-toll-from-coronavirus-hits-200-000-1.5115084

Deaths are running at close to 770 a day on average, and a widely cited model from the University of Washington predicts the overall U.S. toll will double to 400,000 by the end of the year as schools and colleges reopen and cold weather sets in.

Hopefully this does not come true.

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I would guess we'll hit 1/2 a million before its all said and done. Place your bets... :vortex:

Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to turbocharge the numbers. If people won't give up bars for a month or two there's no way they're foregoing holiday travel.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to turbocharge the numbers. If people won't give up bars for a month or two there's no way they're foregoing holiday travel.

My SIL texted my wife a few weeks ago , " we still going to Disney for Christmas this year?" She's a fucking nurse.

I’ve realized that spotting is no longer a thing at the gym. I see someone about to fail on the benchpress putting up way too much weight, their arms are shaking, movement paused, slowly bending in reverse, their back arches to exorcist-levels just before their feet lift from the floor and flail about in the air: in March and prior I would have run over to help, but, now, I just watch thinking “better than the long term effects of COVID!”. Get stronger or die trying, baby!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I’ve realized that spotting is no longer a thing at the gym. I see someone about to fail on the benchpress putting up way too much weight, their arms are shaking, movement paused, slowly bending in reverse, their back arches to exorcist-levels just before their feet lift from the floor and flail about in the air: in March and prior I would have run over to help, but, now, I just watch thinking “better than the long term effects of COVID!”. Get stronger or die trying, baby!

Survival of the fittest.