~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Cyclical rounds of restrictions and getting to live a quasi-normal life between the rounds of restrictions still sure sounds a hell of a lot better than the interminable purgatory situation the US is in. Having to stay home for another month would be a lot more tolerable if it was preceded by a month of getting to be social.

The Maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island) have a regional bubble, and it has worked incredibly well. When entering these provinces, even as a Canadian citizen, you need to quarantine for 14 days. As a result of the success, they are effectively virus-free and have almost no restrictions in place (similar to New Zealand). True, they are relatively low-population (combined pop of 2 million), but getting it under control rapidly and then enforcing quarantine (not even locking borders) seems to work.

Unfortunately the rest of Canada has free travel (except to the US), and cases continue to rise. My province has been lucky in that we've got it mostly under control (still, low pop of 1.1 million), but there are still outbreaks every few weeks.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island) have a regional bubble, and it has worked incredibly well. When entering these provinces, even as a Canadian citizen, you need to quarantine for 14 days. As a result of the success, they are effectively virus-free and have almost no restrictions in place (similar to New Zealand). True, they are relatively low-population (combined pop of 2 million), but getting it under control rapidly and then enforcing quarantine (not even locking borders) seems to work.

Unfortunately the rest of Canada has free travel (except to the US), and cases continue to rise. My province has been lucky in that we've got it mostly under control (still, low pop of 1.1 million), but there are still outbreaks every few weeks.

We were doing quite well in TO until they moved us to stage 3. People (30 something and below) have slowly become more relaxed since then which resulted in where we are now. :| If they close down bars and inside dining the numbers would probably start to get back in control, until then I fear numbers for the next few weeks. At least the spikes have resulted in tons off people getting out to get tested resulting in 3 hour lineups. The amount of testing going on right now is staggering (and results usually only take a day or so).

Disgusting piece of shit. It's just a damn number to this fuckwit. He doesn't care at all. Our family last night lost another relative to covid-19, she spent over two months in a coma stuck on a ventilator but her body just couldn't take it anymore. This whole covid situation being so horribly mishandled is making me angrier every day. Republicans who sit idly by and let this garbage get worse piss me the fuck off so damn much. Seeing people just going out, eating out, traveling, and so on piss me off so damn much, especially when they are not wearing a mask, and especially moron trumpers and anti-maskers. This country is fucked man

• Sad 12

35 minutes ago, Joestradamus said:

Disgusting piece of shit. It's just a damn number to this fuckwit. He doesn't care at all. Our family last night lost another relative to covid-19, she spent over two months in a coma stuck on a ventilator but her body just couldn't take it anymore. This whole covid situation being so horribly mishandled is making me angrier every day. Republicans who sit idly by and let this garbage get worse piss me the fuck off so damn much. Seeing people just going out, eating out, traveling, and so on piss me off so damn much, especially when they are not wearing a mask, and especially moron trumpers and anti-maskers. This country is fucked man

I'm very sorry to hear that. :(

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

I've become incredibly isolated since my breakup because I know everyone I know has been being incredibly irresponsible about this and I'm not willing to physically be around people like that right now; early on there were Zoom happy hours and stuff to help but they've abandoned that kind of stuff since they're hanging out in person. Stuff like rushing to be the first ones to go do indoor dining, posting pictures on Facebook where they're hanging out indoors without masks all sitting next to each other on couches, etc etc...during the brief period where they were already over actually complying with the restrictions but things weren't really open yet they were at least doing things like hanging out in parks. I was still annoyed with them since they weren't wearing masks and sitting way too close to each other as though "okay we're outside that means we don't have to take any other precautions", but I'd go to try to preserve my sanity by getting some socializing in since at least then it was possible to just keep my mask on and sit a little bit back, I figured outside+mask+distance from them should be sufficient even if the rest of them were clustering without masks.

And by the way that's not even including the one guy who was trying to invite me to backyard parties in fucking April.

My mom keeps trying to get me to come home so I'm not cooped up alone like this but I'm in CA and they're in NJ and flying in and of itself seems like a bad idea right now, plus realistically looking at quarantine for at least a week on each end (have to wait a few days before it's worth taking a test, then at least another day or two to get your results back) is not exactly an incentive either. :/

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

I'm sorry to hear for your loss, losing a loved one during these times can take its toll on the grieving process. Hope you're hanging in there.

Feel the same way about Republicans, they're beyond horrible. Also, healthcare workers who parrot the hydroxychloroquine/anti-mask bullshit can fuck right off, right along with the forever Trumpers. A nurse I know shared that stupid viral Brietbart video on Facebook... I couldn't fucking believe it.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, Spork3245 said:

Gov Murphy announced this morning that gyms are reopening in 6 days (September 1st). I expect cases to spike heavily - he should have announced it for mid-September so he could watch if NY numbers spiked from their gyms reopening (started this past Monday, the 24th). It’ll be more difficult to close things back down after a few weeks as opposed to just keeping them closed a bit longer IMO.

My gym (where my fiancé works part-time) opened last week on the 8th. The state-rules are 25% max capacity and at this gym they’ve capped it well below that at just 50 members. There’s been a ton of confusion on the mask stuff since we’re right on the Delaware River and ~10 minutes away from PA gyms in Bucks County. In PA you can take your mask off when lifting, doing cardio, etc, and only need it on when you’re moving around... which is beyond stupid. In NJ it’s at ALL times (exception is drinking water... at least that’s been assumed) - so, people were constantly putting their masks down during the first week... apparently the fines from health officials who enforce the mandate are pretty high, I’ve heard $1000 on the business, $1000 for each owner, up-to $1000 for the on-staff manager at the time, up to $500 for on-staff employees at the discretion of the official. So, my gym started a rule: first time pulling a mask down is a warning which is notated in the computer, second time is kicked-out for 24-hours (also notates), third time is your membership is canceled. AFAIK they already canceled someone last week as an example.

30 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

When gyms reopened here back in June, i wore my mask at the gym every time i went.  I was frequently the only person there that wore one at all times.

Since Labor Day, I stopped wearing my mask at the gym.  I don't give a shit anymore.

In case you didn't see it earlier, it appears that wearing a mask may protect you even if others are not, for the main reason that the amount of virus you are exposed to appears to be related to your prognosis. This is why healthy hospital workers were initially dying, as the viral load was so high from so much exposure. So if a mask reduces the virus pieces that get into you by 50% (or whatever), then the virus likely won't do as much damage.

35 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

When gyms reopened here back in June, i wore my mask at the gym every time i went.  I was frequently the only person there that wore one at all times.

Since Labor Day, I stopped wearing my mask at the gym.  I don't give a shit anymore.

Mask up bud. It works both ways. You get more protection from other people masking, but you get SOME protection from doing it yourself. It's all about risk management. Lower that exposure chance, even if it's a little bit. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

In case you didn't see it earlier, it appears that wearing a mask may protect you even if others are not, for the main reason that the amount of virus you are exposed to appears to be related to your prognosis. This is why healthy hospital workers were initially dying, as the viral load was so high from so much exposure. So if a mask reduces the virus pieces that get into you by 50% (or whatever), then the virus likely won't do as much damage.

Likewise since it's about total exposure in a short amount of time, it seems like if you walked into a COVID ward, took a single deep breath, and then immediately walked back out, that it would not be nearly as dangerous as staying in there for 15 minutes breathing normally.

That's why the outdoor gym still seems like a bad idea to me. You're still spending a decent amount of time in relatively close proximity to a bunch of people breathing heavily and you yourself are breathing in heavily while surrounded by them. Sure it's less dangerous than doing the same thing in an indoor gym, but that doesn't mean it's safe.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

118797611-10158993913222975-845803393375

• Haha 7

23 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I used to just assume Trump just didn't give a shit about COVID, most everything he did was just kind of him not wanting to be bothered with it.   But the stuff lately is just actively evil sociopath shit.

Makes you wonder what he might do if he loses the election but still has two months left in office.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

My gym is only open for an outdoor roof area and I'm still looking into a refund for the unused portion of my membership (I've been paying annually to get a discount and I last paid in October). Just doesn't seem worth it right now.

They should almost certainly extend you by at least 6-months at this point. My gym gave me the two weeks I lost for March back (well, pushed my due date for the first "re-opened month" back by 2 weeks :p ).

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They should almost certainly extend you by at least 6-months at this point. My gym gave me the two weeks I lost for March back (well, pushed my due date for the first "re-opened month" back by 2 weeks :p ).

Yeah back in March they said they were freezing billing for the people paying monthly, and when I finally stopped by to talk about it yesterday she said she'd already stuck three months onto my membership to account for the total shutdown period without my even having to ask for it. But I can't see myself going in before 2021 at this point. If they won't give me a refund I'll accept freezing the membership and having 9 months (it was originally set to expire 1/1/2021) left whenever I finally un-freeze it. But it sounds like I should be able to get at least half back. Technically it's probably more like two-thirds or three-fifths but at this point I'm not going to argue with them over the difference.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah back in March they said they were freezing billing for the people paying monthly, and when I finally stopped by to talk about it yesterday she said she'd already stuck three months onto my membership to account for the total shutdown period without my even having to ask for it. But I can't see myself going in before 2021 at this point. If they won't give me a refund I'll accept freezing the membership and having 9 months (it was originally set to expire 1/1/2021) left whenever I finally un-freeze it. But it sounds like I should be able to get at least half back. Technically it's probably more like two-thirds or three-fifths but at this point I'm not going to argue with them over the difference.

I keep forgetting that Cali opened up gyms back in June and not everywhere took 5.75 months for gyms like NJ :p 

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's good advice.  But as I've said, i don't care anymore. 

I've reached a point that, if something happens to my body, I'm not going to the doctor about it.  Like, if I got cancer, or diabetes, or anything else, I'm not undergoing treatment.  I'll just stay in bed and let whatever happens happen.  Why bother.

49 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I've reached a point that, if something happens to my body, I'm not going to the doctor about it.  Like, if I got cancer, or diabetes, or anything else, I'm not undergoing treatment.  I'll just stay in bed and let whatever happens happen.  Why bother.

Bro, please, take care of yourself.

However, if you do wind up with COVID, please cough on Mitch McConell and Matt Gaetz. Thank you for your service.

2 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Have you thought about seeing someone? Please don't think that way. We value you and would miss you if something were to happen to you.

27 minutes ago, Jason said:
200917-alterboro-high-school-al-0757_b5f
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

“I knew that we were going to end up having some cases, but I didn’t expect they would be on the first day,” the high school principal said.

I read a story about this in a local paper and it seems like the kids parents assumed he was fine since he was quarantined for a couple of days after testing positive and didn't seem sick.

Seems fine why are you libcucks so upset.

17VIRUS-CDC1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A controversial guideline saying people without Covid-19 symptoms didn’t need to get tested for the virus came from H.H.S. officials and skipped the C.D.C.’s scientific review process.

44 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I read a story about this in a local paper and it seems like the kids parents assumed he was fine since he was quarantined for a couple of days after testing positive and didn't seem sick.

Misunderstandings like this at the scale of people we have in this country are inevitable, which is why having a competent leadership is so critical -- to get that number down as far as possible. There will always be dumbasses but we can help some of them make good decisions too.