~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Atilis Gym owners break into their own business to let in customers, again violating N.J.‘s coronavirus orders

These f’n assclowns.

If you’re not familiar with this: in May, the two owners of this gym decided to open, violating state orders and had a huge publicity run leading up to it. Police came on opening day which had all the MAGA-chuds out in the parking lot, told them they are violating state orders, asked them to close, the owners said “no”, police said “okay” and left (again, huge crowd of “support protestors” (?)), cops came back 3-hours later after the crowd left and gave them citations. Next day, they opened again, police came and gave each owner $1k fines. Same thing the next day, and they started warning and/or fining customers. This went on for awhile, at one point the gym was padlocked. The gym owners filed a lawsuit claiming that Murphy doesn’t have the right to close businesses. The week before last, the court ruled in favor of Murphy/NJ and ordered the gym closed... so, the dipshit owners tried to open anyway, except now they were violating a court order so they were arrested and held in contempt of court with cops barricading the parking lot this past Monday. In the meantime it looks like police or someone from NJ barricaded the building with wooden planks to stop entry... so, this morning, the owners decided to kick down the barricades to open up. I’m sure this will go well for them.

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

FWIW The MLB wanted toput players in a bubble similar to the NBA and NHL but the players union shot that down.

Fuck the union

They are being antithetical to worker safety.  SOMETHING UNIONS ARE SUPPOSED TO PROMOTE AND ENFORCE.

Cancel the season and don't pay the players another dime. 

27 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

While several games getting postponed is indicative of a looming shutdown I think that Olbermann tweet is only indicative of postponed games. He's reading too much into it.

I dunno, seems like the writing is on the wall. They don’t have much room for postponed games, they are already coming up with wonky rules for double headers (7 innings per game). And this is only day 10 of the season, right?

18 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I dunno, seems like the writing is on the wall. They don’t have much room for postponed games, they are already coming up with wonky rules for double headers (7 innings per game). And this is only day 10 of the season, right?

Yeah I doubt if they make it to the end of the week. Hope I'm wrong but...

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

I found out that you don't even have to finish the season to make the playoffs. Manfred says if a team plays only 58 games instead of 60, they will go by winning percentage. Wtf?

That is a Manfred rule, no doubt.

I mean, they've been pretty adamant that they weren't going to push back the postseason later in the year, so once they decided to keep going after the Marlins had their first 3 or 4 games wiped out going by winning % is really the only thing you can do because you're absolutely not going to be able to squeeze those games in with this schedule already as compressed as it is.

But yeah, fuck Rob Manfred. Should absolutely be run out of town on a rail after this season.

44 minutes ago, Joe said:

I found out that you don't even have to finish the season to make the playoffs. Manfred says if a team plays only 58 games instead of 60, they will go by winning percentage. Wtf?

Doesn't this already happen if canceled games cannot be made up in normal regular reasons? Obviously it's wackier in a shortened season, but I don't think this is especially odd.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Doesn't this already happen if canceled games cannot be made up in normal regular reasons? Obviously it's wackier in a shortened season, but I don't think this is especially odd.

You're definitely right. But like you said, missing 1 game out of 162 seems less crazy to me than 2 in a 60 game season.

11 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

They will still find a way to miss the playoffs. 

They are the only team to never make it to the World Series.  

...Not win the World Series mind you, but simply make it there. 

But of course as a Mariners fan, you knew that. 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yeah horrible idea.  If you want to undermine the efficacy of vaccines even more with the general public, this is a good way to do it, especially if there are even a few excess deaths resulting from the administration of the vaccine.

Yeah. This is also why it would be "bad" if hydroxychloroquiine happened to work after Trump pimped it.

I haven't been keeping up with Covid news lately. Is there any talk of a nationwide shutdown happening in the future?  Right now everything is all about kids and schools trying to start up. But with flu season usually starting in October, then you have holidays with people traveling and shopping..... we pretty much HAVE to be shut down again right?