~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

US military personal apparently use St. John's, Newfoundland as a stopover sometimes. Well, they are telling local authorities that they are exempt from the quarantine laws, and are walking around:

The government is saying they are not exempt, but the military personnel aren't listening. Going to be great when the police have to detain US soldiers!

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

US military personal apparently use St. John's, Newfoundland as a stopover sometimes. Well, they are telling local authorities that they are exempt from the quarantine laws, and are walking around:

The government is saying they are not exempt, but the military personnel aren't listening. Going to be great when the police have to detain US soldiers!

Whoever their commander is, is a dumbass.  Whenever we stopped over at a foreign port, our Captain made it abundantly clear WE WILL follow all local laws and regulations.  And if we didn't, not only would the local government have the authority to fine/arrest you, but after your release, the command would double fuck you for not listening.

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

Yeah, but deaths obviously lag infections. People are morons.

It's incredibly how myopic the GOP has been about this virus.  Trump and his goons could have been mopping up the 2020 election if they had taken it seriously and showed true leadership.  

20 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Remember how people kept saying that deaths were dropping a month or so ago?

They were, but that wasn’t the point being made. The point was that the outcomes are getting better. Hospitalizations are shorter and with fewer deaths as demographics catching it have changed and care in hospitals has improved.

While certainly many more people in NY/NJ/MA were actually positive than were verified so by testing back in April, outcomes for hospitalized people were far worse there than we are seeing in July around the country.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They were, but that wasn’t the point being made. The point was that the outcomes are getting better. Hospitalizations are shorter and with fewer deaths as demographics catching it have changed and care in hospitals has improved.

While certainly many more people in NY/NJ/MA were actually positive than were verified so by testing back in April, outcomes for hospitalized people were far worse there than we are seeing in July around the country.

I mean I would trust that it was the point that you were making, but it was not the argument conservatives were making at all.

They are doing it again with the children going back to school:

There seems to be an association? 

I suppose. All I heard was the “people aren’t dying at the same rate” claim, which is verifiably true. Can you give an example of people saying...whatever it is you think they were saying besides that? I honestly don’t recall. This seems dubious because the other side of the argument was that even if rates of worst case outcomes decreased, the massive surge nominally will make up for the decrease fatality rate.

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I suppose. All I heard was the “people aren’t dying at the same rate” claim, which is verifiably true. Can you give an example of people saying...whatever it is you think they were saying besides that? I honestly don’t recall. This seems dubious because the other side of the argument was that even if rates of worst case outcomes decreased, the massive surge nominally will make up for the decrease fatality rate.

I will look later, but searching through Twitter tweets is a pain. I know we at least had D'nesh D'souza bragging about our low death rates a few weeks back when it was common sense that the deaths were going to surge in a month with all the new infections. It's certainly great that the outcomes have substantially improved, but they were outright bragging about the death rate when it was obviously the eye before the storm.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Whoever their commander is, is a dumbass.  Whenever we stopped over at a foreign port, our Captain made it abundantly clear WE WILL follow all local laws and regulations.  And if we didn't, not only would the local government have the authority to fine/arrest you, but after your release, the command would double fuck you for not listening.

:lol: You don't think the arrogance of the military's Commander In Chief hasn't trickled down to the rank and file?

10 minutes ago, Jose said:

I will look later, but searching through Twitter tweets is a pain. I know we at least had D'nesh D'souza bragging about our low death rates a few weeks back when it was common sense that the deaths were going to surge in a month with all the new infections. It's certainly great that the outcomes have substantially improved, but were outright bragging about the death rate when it was obviously the eye before the storm.

I'm sure @osxmatt can help you find Dinesh's greatest hits, they're buddies

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

It's incredibly how myopic the GOP has been about this virus.  Trump and his goons could have been mopping up the 2020 election if they had taken it seriously and showed true leadership.  

This is a good point. COVID-19 was a political opportunity if handled competently. 'War time president', 'don't change leaders in the middle of a crisis' come to mind as messages they could have used.

24 minutes ago, Jose said:

I will look later, but searching through Twitter tweets is a pain. I know we at least had D'nesh D'souza bragging about our low death rates a few weeks back when it was common sense that the deaths were going to surge in a month with all the new infections. It's certainly great that the outcomes have substantially improved, but they were outright bragging about the death rate when it was obviously the eye before the storm.

I will concede that DD certainly said something really dumb and false :p 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I will concede that DD certainly said something really dumb and false :p 

Again, I saw it from other conservatives! Citing the low deaths without context and not mentioning anything like better outcomes or the assumptions that deaths were about to go up in the future.

Plus, I saw the comparisons to New York and New Jersey all the time. Now that Florida has added 2,000 deaths in 3 weeks, they are quiet.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Again, I saw it from other conservatives! Citing the low deaths without context and not mentioning anything like better outcomes or the assumptions that deaths were about to go up in the future.

Citing the death rate the way I saw them cited was just that, the death rates are going down with no context. You are correct that this is irresponsible because so many Americans then assumed "it's not that bad" and went out to bars and left the mask at home. 

There are a lot of variables on why the death rate is lower. One of the things that would increase it is if hospitals run out of beds, nurses, physicians, PAs, medication, equipment, etc. Mortality rate goes up because people are simply sent home to die. Republicans don't seem to care. 

22 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

This is a good point. COVID-19 was a political opportunity if handled competently. 'War time president', 'don't change leaders in the middle of a crisis' come to mind as messages they could have used.

Indeed.  Despite all of Trump's faults and failings, if he and his staff took this seriously from day one like many other countries did, he would have proven that maybe he really does deserve to be president after all.

And he failed.  Spectacularly.  This outbreak and his mishandling of it instead just proved how incompetent he truly is.

The only silver lining is that hopefully millions of Americans that voted for him in 2016 are seeing all of this, realizing their mistake, and will try and rectify this in November.  But I have no faith in this country anymore, so I expect him to win by a bigger margin somehow.

42 minutes ago, Jose said:

Plus, I saw the comparisons to New York and New Jersey all the time. Now that Florida has added 2,000 deaths in 3 weeks, they are quiet.

NY and NJ were adding 2000 deaths DAILY in April...

My 6 year old has tested positive. I've been staying with work (retail/Target) friends in order to minimize risk to him and my wife for months. She is a doctor (PhD/DGMQ) at the CDC, and has been vigilant with regards to following best practices. She was negative, but how long can that possibly be true. What a fucking mess.

• Sad 11
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Iculus said:

My 6 year old has tested positive. I've been staying with work (retail/Target) friends in order to minimize risk to him and my wife for months. She is a doctor (PhD/DGMQ) at the CDC, and has been vigilant with regards to following best practices. She was negative, but how long can that possibly be true. What a fucking mess.

Really sucks man hoping for the best for you and yours.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Hope your kiddo is OK. And sorry to hear about your living arrangements. That’s hard stuff.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Hope your kiddo is OK. And sorry to hear about your living arrangements. That’s hard stuff.

He woke up Sunday with a fever and body aches. We decided it was a good idea for them to get tested. His test came back positive yesterday, and he seems to be almost completely recovered today. The reports of long term damage, especially with the systems involved, has me worried though.

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Iculus said:

He woke up Sunday with a fever and body aches. We decided it was a good idea for them to get tested. His test came back positive yesterday, and he seems to be almost completely recovered today. The reports of long term damage, especially with the systems involved, has me worried though.

There is literally nothing harder for me than something being wrong with my kids health wise, so the unknown here has to weigh heavily :( 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

NY and NJ were adding 2000 deaths DAILY in April...

NJ never even broke 500 deaths in a day. Thoss two states had the most deaths because the virus had already spread like wildfire by April and there were few good treatments available (plus the theory that the virus load was higher then). Had someone like DeSantis been governor, the death toll would have been higher then and now.

39 minutes ago, Jose said:

NJ never even broke 500 deaths in a day. Thoss two states had the most deaths because the virus had already spread like wildfire by April and there were few good treatments available (plus the theory that the virus load was higher then). Had someone like DeSantis been governor, the death toll would have been higher then and now.

Combined. Sorry it was only 1500 a day at it’s worst.

You can divert attention however you want, but NY/NJ did a terrible job and significantly more people per capita will end up dead there than elsewhere despite very early occurrences of the virus in other states.

NY and NJ individually were in the current Florida range into May.

I know that’s where you live and you want to defend the honor of those places, but numbers are numbers and those two states were combing for more deaths on a daily basis than the entire US is experiencing during our current surge in cases. The level of failure there should not be understated.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Combined. Sorry it was only 1500 a day at it’s worst.

You can divert attention however you want, but NY/NJ did a terrible job and significantly more people per capita will end up dead there than elsewhere despite very early occurrences of the virus in other states.

NY and NJ individually were in the current Florida range into May.

I know that’s where you live and you want to defend the honor of those places, but numbers are numbers and those two states were combing for more deaths on a daily basis than the entire US is experiencing during our current surge in cases. The level of failure there should not be understated.

It has nothing to do with honor. I have no problems criticizing NJ (very corrupt state btw). But I notice in these discussions that no one can actually point to what a state like Florida did differently than NJ in the beginning. That's because they did nothing differently. They were just lucky. 

NY/NJ did get the nursing home thing wrong, obviously, but it's also easy to criticize in retrospect when they were two of the only states that had overflowing hospitals. Why would DeSantis send nursing home patients back to their nursing homes if the hospitals were not full? Anybody that uses that argument is just being dishonest.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

It has nothing to do with honor. I have no problems criticizing NJ (very corrupt state btw). But I notice in these discussions that no one can actually point to what a state like Florida did differently than NJ in the beginning. That's because they did nothing differently. They were just lucky. 

NY/NJ did get the nursing home thing wrong, obviously, but it's also easy to criticize in retrospect when they were two of the only states that had overflowing hospitals. Why would DeSantis send nursing home patients back to their nursing homes if the hospitals were not full? Anybody that uses that argument is just being dishonest.

The poor decision with regards to nursing homes is only one issue and Governors like Whitmer did the same thing in Michigan, but better leadership in other states with early outbreaks didn’t. Those other early outbreak states made better policy decisions, they made more timely policy decisions, and their populations benefitted while states like NY and NJ made many terrible decisions that had devastating consequences.

Does that absolve governors now from their poor decisions? Certainly not.

@b_m_b_m_b_mis right though that Americans have low standards for leadership.

I just wanna say that from personal experience, testing in Florida is FUCKED. First, it took me about a week to find the soonest appointment for a test. After tested they told me 7-10 days for results, and it took them 11. How is this supposed to be contained here if the time frame for many people to get their results is over 2 1/2 weeks? It’s basically useless at this point as far as using the test results to isolate people.

Btw, I came back negative. But whatever I had really fucked me over. And it was such a long weight of uncertainty. I have plenty of sinus issues already, so I have a feeling if I get this it’ll hit me pretty hard.