~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

16 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Lopez only cares about drugs and opposing collective bargaining, so this info wouldn’t be of use to him. 

I thought he had a change of heart on the union thing!?!

At this point China has effectively quarantined %6 of it's population. That is absolutely insane. They are back to thinking that this is new, and not a strain that was previously undetected. @CayceG Texas A&M has a potential case. The patient is currently quarantined in his dorm room. Still nothing about TTU.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Iculus said:

It appears to be more contagious, but yes. There are already reports of 2nd and 3rd generation human to human infections. This is bad because it's more communicable than originally thought. It doesn't appear to have mutated. So we have that going forjedi us.

Edit - Don't ask me to explain any of this because I have zero idea. My wife has a PhD, and I work at target lol

This isn't an appropriate take anymore.

We've recalled all nonessential diplomatic personnel. There are well over 100 cases being monitored. The flight that is believed to be responsible for the case in Washington has had spillover into Mexico and Canada. There have been confirmed infections in 4 of the 6 WHO territories, and they aren't scheduled to meet again until Thursday. This will almost certainly be a pandemic by then.

Say what you will about the rest of the authoritarian nightmare of the modern Chinese government, pick any one of the obviously necessary public infrastructure improvements around the country. Even it doesn't just get outright killed in the NIMBY public input period or cost overruns, ain't no way we're getting anything done in a week.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51245156

I was interested in knowing how long this virus can live on surfaces since the flu usually only lives 24 hours and cold viruses can be as long as7 days.  They don't seem to know yet though.  They are also unsure of the incubation period so they are operating under the assumption that it could take 14 days to show symptoms from the time you contracted it.  Scary stuff.

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I was interested in knowing how long this virus can live on surfaces since the flu usually only lives 24 hours and cold viruses can be as long as7 days.  They don't seem to know yet though.  They are also unsure of the incubation period so they are operating under the assumption that it could take 14 days to show symptoms from the time you contracted it.  Scary stuff.

At this point they are assuming that this virus is similar (they all appear to originate from bats, though MERS had camels as a secondary reservoir) to SARS/MERS with regards to most measurables. SARS and MERS have an incubation period of 14 days, and can "live" on surfaces for at least 48 hours. 

The UGA Center for the Ecology of Infectious Diseases has been working almost nonstop to develop appropriate models for this outbreak. They are really good at what they do...

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

Say what you will about the rest of the authoritarian nightmare of the modern Chinese government, pick any one of the obviously necessary public infrastructure improvements around the country. Even it doesn't just get outright killed in the NIMBY public input period or cost overruns, ain't no way we're getting anything done in a week.

Its impressive and terrifying,while the building is functional I can almost guarantee that there is little to no good standard and practices being preformed and code compliance  is non existing.

19 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Its impressive and terrifying,while the building is functional I can almost guarantee that there is little to no good standard and practices being preformed and code compliance  is non existing.

The buildings are pre-fab boxes meant to scale to very large spaces. They are actually very safe.

They suspect Canada has their first case of the virus in Toronto. So, SARS 2.0 in Toronto? I’m slightly worried (ok not really) because my light duties work this past week or so has had me going into these Chinese stores in Toronto delivering some display racks. Hopefully nothing big comes from it but it only takes one 

23 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

This is true, when a dictator can tell anyone to go wherever they want and allocate resources unilaterally, you can get things done pretty fast.

On the other hand, we tend to avoid needing stuff like this (usually) by, like, not letting people eat and sell weird bat meat they found in the dirt and creating turbo viruses that are a threat to nations.

• Haha 1

Germany confirms first human coronavirus transmission in Europe

The first human to human transmission of the Wuhan coronavirus in Europe has been reported in Germany, where a man was infected by a work colleague who had been in China, fuelling anxieties about the potential ease of international spread.

Experts said it was of particular concern that the Chinese woman who originally had the virus apparently had no symptoms when she transmitted it to her colleague. There have been warnings from inside China that people may be infectious before they start to feel ill.

So far there has been very limited spread from China. A handful of countries have reported cases including France, which has three, and the United States, which had five. This is the first reported European case of transmission from one person to another but it has also occurred in Japan, Vietnam and Taiwan.

Health officials are checking 40 people who had been in contact with the two infected workers, recently, including colleagues and family members.

Experts said human to human transmission outside China was unsurprising. “We will continue to see further similar cases outside of China, but the indications are at this stage that onwards transmission will be limited, so there will likely not be too many cases for example across Europe, and on a much lesser scale than we are seeing in China,” said Dr Michael Head, a senior research fellow in global health at the University of Southampton.

But the German case is concerning largely because the virus appears to have been transmitted by somebody without symptoms, said Paul Hunter, Professor in Medicine at the University of East Anglia.

Chinese officials had previously stated that human-to-human transmission had been confirmed, but their had previously been some doubts/skepticism from their European/North American counterparts.

SARS-Fuelled Racism Scarred Chinese-Canadians. It's Happening Again With Coronavirus

Coronavirus fears could result in racism aimed at local Asian community: Winnipeg prof

Coronavirus: What's racism got to do with it?

Racism is always a difficult discussion.  In today's world, social media can make minority opinions appear more prevalent than they really are.  As well, in a city where SARS had very real consequences, its normal for some people to be scared.  I have also noticed a dramatic uptick in seeing people wearing surgical masks (and today saw someone in a full respirator)  -- while this may have different social conations in Asia, it does scare some non-Asians.

I am concerned about the push-back about quarantining people who have been to affected areas.  My brother returned from an internship in Hong Kong during the 2003 SARS outbreak -- and put himself into a 2-week self-quarantine in my parents basement.  I missed Christmas celebrations one year, because we were concerned that our kids had been exposed to the flu, and didn't want to risk passing the virus to elderly relatives.  I would hope that my fellow Canadians (of any race), and visitors to my country, would want to show the same consideration to other people's health as I would.