~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

"Man unsure if he should focus on his chemotherapy or getting back to work more quickly."

Maybe Trump can Walter White himself out of this sticky situation?  He's already cornered the market on treatment drugs.  Now all he has to do is viciously murder our  rivals  allies.  

All these states that opened too early that are starting to shutdown obviously have a lot of people going on or about to go on UE, and that $600 PUC only has 3-weeks left with Republicans saying shit like “enough is enough” and “[we’ll extend it] over our dead bodies!”. Smart.

44 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

All these states that opened too early that are starting to shutdown obviously have a lot of people going on or about to go on UE, and that $600 PUC only has 3-weeks left with Republicans saying shit like “enough is enough” and “[we’ll extend it] over our dead bodies!”. Smart.

Every boot strapper will be screaming for help

Official U.S. coronavirus death toll is ‘a substantial undercount’ of actual tally, Yale study finds

Using National Center for Health Statistics data, researchers at Yale University compared the number of excess U.S. deaths from any causes with the reported number of weekly U.S. Covid-19 deaths from March 1 through May 30. The numbers were then compared with deaths from the same period in previous years. 

Researchers found that the excess number of deaths over normal levels also exceeded those attributed to Covid-19, leading them to conclude that many of those fatalities were likely caused by the coronavirus but not confirmed. State reporting discrepancies and a sharp increase in U.S. deaths amid a pandemic suggest the number of Covid-19 fatalities is undercounted, they said.

The 781,000 total deaths in the United States in the three months through May 30 were about 122,300, or nearly 19% higher, than what would normally be expected, according to the researchers. Of the 122,300 excess deaths, 95,235 were attributed to Covid-19, they said. Most of the rest of the excess deaths, researchers said, were likely related to or directly caused by the coronavirus.

5 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

When the Western Roman Empire entered terminal decline, it wasn't big, dramatic events like Huns and Goths crossing the frontiers that heralded that decline.  It was when the roads and aqueducts fell into disrepair and people noticed it, shrugged, and just moved on.

Imperial decline is inevitably measured by the "death of a thousand cuts", by the little things that used to work or get done but no longer do.

Just to expand on this point I made, earlier please read Patrick Wyman's recent excellent piece in Mother Jones:

"How Do You Know If You’re Living Through the Death of an Empire? It's the Little Things"

The fall of an empire is supposed to be a dramatic thing. It’s right there in the name. “Fall” conjures up images of fluted temple columns toppling to the ground, pulled down by fur-clad barbarians straining to destroy something beautiful. Savage invasions, crushing battlefield defeats, sacked cities, unlucky rulers put to death: These are the kinds of stories that usually come to mind when we think of the end of an empire. They seem appropriate, the climaxes we expect from a narrative of rise, decline, and fall.

We’re all creatures of narrative, whether we think explicitly in those terms or not, and stories are one of the fundamental ways in which we engage with and grasp the meaning of the world. It’s natural that we expect the end of a story—the end of an empire—to have some drama.

The reality is far less exciting. Any political unit sound enough to project its power over a large geographic area for centuries has deep structural roots. Those roots can’t be pulled up in a day or even a year. If an empire seems to topple overnight, it’s certain that the conditions that produced the outcome had been present for a long time—suppurating wounds that finally turned septic enough for the patient to succumb to a sudden trauma.

55 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Every boot strapper will be screaming for help

Seriously, UE is based on 60% of your weekly pay from your last tax return with a “maximum benefit amount” that varies by state. A lot of these states have UE benefits that top out at something like $240/week (Arizona) minus a 10% federal income tax on it. So, someone making $1000/week working who needs to go on UE in Arizona due to the virus is suddenly only making $240/week. The $600 PUC adds on to that making their benefits suddenly an actually manageable $840/week where they can pay for rent/mortgage and food simultaneously. Without that $600, there’s a ton of people who are about to be royally F’d.

6 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Hey guys, I’m beginning to think the American Dream is actually an American Nightmare.

(I swear if @Spork3245 replies to this with a picture of the Rhodes family I will not do anything but laugh)

The American Dream
0-BAF0-D4-A-62-B5-42-FD-81-DD-6312-DB828

The American Nightmare 
3-D6-A8-A6-F-7-FD7-49-F4-BF9-D-B4-D0-FE0 

Whatever this is

096019-E4-4-D27-48-CA-99-B3-2-DBC412-AB6

• Haha 1

My wife had her first day of her new teaching position today in person. Masks were required but sometimes people took them off because they were six feet apart. 

I truly hope nothing comes of it, I'm worried if she were to catch it.

Sounds like her school will only do limited in person for freshmen only for the first few weeks. I wish it didn't have to be like this

9 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Makes you wonder how UI was ever supposed to be enough to begin with. (It wasn't) 

TBF, it does depend on the state and it is supposed to be temporary and not long term. NJ (for example) tops out at $713/week or something, I’d argue that’s “fine”, but you’re correct in that most states seem to purposely have it hamstrung (despite the fact that’s it’s literally something you directly pay into with each paycheck). People across the country are about to be in a world of financial hurt without that additional $600 in PUC, not to mention all the 1099-employees/self-employed, and GIG workers that do not qualify for state unemployment and would have received the $600 otherwise.

EDIT: I just double checked, max for Texas is $521/week, Florida is $275/week, Arizona is $240. People in those states that have a job affected by [incoming] shutdowns are going to be F’d.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

TBF, it does depend on the state and it is supposed to be temporary and not long term. NJ (for example) tops out at $713/week or something, I’d argue that’s “fine”, but you’re correct in that most states seem to purposely have it hamstrung (despite the fact that’s it’s literally something you directly pay into with each paycheck). People across the country are about to be in a world of financial hurt without that additional $600 in PUC, not to mention all the 1099-employees/self-employed, and GIG workers that do not qualify for state unemployment and would have received the $600 otherwise.

EDIT: I just double checked, max for Texas is $521/week, Florida is $275/week, Arizona is $240. People in those states that have a job affected by [incoming] shutdowns are going to be F’d.

Despite being born and raised in New Jersey, I've never collected unemployment here because outside of some starter jobs when I was in high school and college, I never had a "real" job in the state. I had NO IDEA the max benefits in Jersey was so high.... You can totally survive off of the $713 a week if you are single especially if you get the extra $600 a week. The Max weekly benefit in California is $450.00 which is nowhere near enough. But yeah, folks in most states are fucked. I've always considered U.I. to be a ripoff for the average worker. You get out of it FAR less than what you put into it.

So I started noticing a shortness of breath and a few other symptoms on Tuesday evening. I called out sick to work yesterday and today the breathing is worse. Even walking to the bathroom and back is difficult. Testing here in Florida is still abysmally low so I wasn’t able to get an appointment till Tuesday.

• Sad 5

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Despite being born and raised in New Jersey, I've never collected unemployment here because outside of some starter jobs when I was in high school and college, I never had a "real" job in the state. I had NO IDEA the max benefits in Jersey was so high.... You can totally survive off of the $713 a week if you are single especially if you get the extra $600 a week. The Max weekly benefit in California is $450.00 which is nowhere near enough. But yeah, folks in most states are fucked. I've always considered U.I. to be a ripoff for the average worker. You get out of it FAR less than what you put into it.

I really feel that a max benefit for unemployment should be at least $700-800, that’s really where someone could survive for a bit in situations where it may take months to find an acceptable job. NJ is one of the highest in the nation and there’s only 4 states that have a UI that’s even in the $700+ range. So many states are so low with max UI, I think the national average becomes below $400/week for max benefits. It’s really scary for people right now, because if their business shuts down and/or they’re furloughed, or just flat out lose their job permanently, they are going to be utterly screwed without that $600 in PUC.

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

So I started noticing a shortness of breath and a few other symptoms on Tuesday evening. I called out sick to work yesterday and today the breathing is worse. Even walking to the bathroom and back is difficult. Testing here in Florida is still abysmally low so I wasn’t able to get an appointment till Tuesday.

Damn dude. 

I hope you can get a test safely and quickly. 

Do you know what interaction you may have had that might have exposed you?

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

Damn dude. 

I hope you can get a test safely and quickly. 

Do you know what interaction you may have had that might have exposed you?

My job re-opened their center 2.5 weeks ago, so we went from working from home to work to in center again. I’m not saying that’s how I caught it, but the timing is suspect.

We wore masks, wiped down surfaces, etc. But I still had the sinking feeling that this still wasn’t safe enough and I was going to catch it eventually.

8 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

My job re-opened their center 2.5 weeks ago, so we went from working from home to work to in center again. I’m not saying that’s how I caught it, but the timing is suspect.

We wore masks, wiped down surfaces, etc. But I still had the sinking feeling that this still wasn’t safe enough and I was going to catch it eventually.

Is that about the only place you've been? Also, if you haven't yet, inform your work and ask around to see if anyone else has experienced symptoms. 

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

can you stay home from work and self quarantine for a couple of days until you see a doctor?

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Is that about the only place you've been? Also, if you haven't yet, inform your work and ask around to see if anyone else has experienced symptoms. 

I’ve had to go out shopping some but that’s mostly it. My works knows. Even after I feel better they’ll have me work from home for a couple of weeks to be safe.