~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Look, I believe the protesters spread it too. But the fact is one of these things had to happen. The protests. The rest are just scum. 

Sure the protestors spread it but here's the difference... congregating outside in open air where most are wearing masks is MUCH safer than congregating in an inclosed space with no masks. Most of the protestors I saw were wearing masks. Not all, but most.

36 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I heard someone else say they contracted it twice as well. It seems that whatever immunity that is granted from being infected, doesn't last long. The immune response seems to be closer to a cold than the chickenpox. Also there's the "Long Haulers"... people who's Covid infections last longer than 14 days. Some reporting to have been sick for 45 up to 45 days :o

From what I've read, there has yet to be a documented case of COVID reinfection in the scientific literature. Up until now at least, the few cases of reported reinfection either had not cleared the virus from their system as you mentioned or one (or both, but what are the odds) of their two tests was a false positive. 

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure the protestors spread it but here's the difference... congregating outside in open air where most are wearing masks is MUCH safer than congregating in an inclosed space with no masks. Most of the protestors I saw were wearing masks. Not all, but most.

I mean every major city had protests, every major city isn't seeing a massive surge, cities in states that opened early and didn't require masks however....

49 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Depends on the protest. There are lots of pics from the Houston March and you’d be hard pressed to think that more than 10% were wearing masks. And the people in downtown for that protest numbered some 60,000, shoulder to shoulder, chanting and yelling for hours.

Patient 91: How Vietnam saved a British pilot and kept a clean Covid-19 sheet (BBC)

"If I'd been almost anywhere else on the planet, I'd be dead. They would have flicked the switch after 30 days," says Stephen Cameron from his hospital bed.

The 42-year-old Scottish pilot spent 68 days on a ventilator, thought to be a longer stretch of time than any patient in the UK. He did so not in a hospital in his hometown of Motherwell, but in Vietnam's sprawling and hectic Ho Chi Minh City, with no close friends or family for thousands of miles.

Cameron, the last Covid-19 patient in an intensive care unit in Vietnam, has been the sickest doctors have had to deal with during the outbreak.

Thank you, Uncle Ho!

476556_poster_l.jpg

49 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean every major city had protests, every major city isn't seeing a massive surge, cities in states that opened early and didn't require masks however....

Correct. There were fairly major protests in New York, DC, and Pennsylvania with a number of riots mixed in and there aren't major outbreaks there so far. Amazingly, there seems to be a fairly direct correlation between mask mandates and COVID-19 outbreaks.

17 hours ago, Jose said:

From what I've read, there has yet to be a documented case of COVID reinfection in the scientific literature. Up until now at least, the few cases of reported reinfection either had not cleared the virus from their system as you mentioned or one (or both, but what are the odds) of their two tests was a false positive. 

So yeah a couple of things... the instances you're talking about are not what I'm talking about. The latest scientific data is showing that any immunity granted from having the virus may only last for a couple of weeks after clearing the virus... like the common cold. I'm not sure how current the scientific articles you are reading are but This article is from a week or so ago

And it's literally from a site called "The Scientist": 

Studies Report Rapid Loss of COVID-19 Antibodies.The results, while preliminary, suggest that survivors of SARS-CoV-2 infection may be susceptible to reinfection within weeks or months.

Fauci has been hinting at this as well in interviews and this article cites what he's been saying

The discrepancies between people mirror what Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has himself observed. In a conversation with Howard Bauchner, the editor in chief of the Journal of the American Medical Association earlier this month, he said that in addition to a lack of consistency among testing methods, individuals do not have “a uniformly robust antibody response.” This fact may make it difficult to develop a vaccine that works equally well for all people.

Now the cases of reinfection have been anecdotal, but we had several interviews with medical professionals this week in pieces I worked on who said that they contracted the disease twice. This is also different than the long haulers, another piece I worked on, these folks are sick for longer periods of time than the typical one to two weeks. And false positive test occur but they are far more uncommon than false negatives so someone getting two false postive tests is pretty unlikely. So yeah,  while the jury is still out on reinfection,  the emerging evidence is not looking good. We'll see.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Can't wait until the press says it is courageous of him!

Nah, I wait for the fox news articles on how this shows true leadership from the trump administration unlike the failure of the biden camp. :dumpster_fire:

4,000 people.

With that many idiots, we will surely get a news story in about three weeks about a kid who went, recorded a video of them saying something like "fuck rona, I have to live my life!" and then apologizes on the news when they are hospitalized.

Edit - From the musician:

Also he was on Survivor.

While coronavirus spread in the U.S., an Indian slum with 1 million residents contained it (LA Times)

When the first COVID-19 case was detected in Dharavi, a crammed labyrinth of one-room shacks in the heart of India’s financial capital, epidemiologists feared the disease would spiral out of control.

Inside one square mile live nearly 1 million people, many of whom survive on daily wages and share public bathrooms. Families sleep in eight-by-eight-foot rooms. People squeeze past one another in alleys. Social distancing is impossible.

But nearly three months later, authorities in Mumbai appear to have pulled off a miracle — or at least found an unexpected reprieve.

After recording 491 COVID-19 cases in April and 1,216 in May, Dharavi saw only 274 cases and six deaths in the first two weeks of June. Epidemiologists say one of Asia’s largest slums — best known as the setting for the Oscar-winning film “Slumdog Millionaire” — has contained the virus even as it surges elsewhere in Mumbai and across other parts of India.

• Shocked 1

It grinds my gears when pro-mask people compare wearing masks to wearing seat belts.

To be clear, the same people who don't like to wear seat belts are probably the same who don't want to wear masks.  However, it's a bad comparison, because wearing a seat belt protects yourself in the case of an auto accident.  A mask protects others in the case you have the virus.  

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

It grinds my gears when pro-mask people compare wearing masks to wearing seat belts.

To be clear, the same people who don't like to wear seat belts are probably the same who don't want to wear masks.  However, it's a bad comparison, because wearing a seat belt protects yourself in the case of an auto accident.  A mask protects others in the case you have the virus.  

"Seatbelts kill more people than they save" is a real thing I've heard on more than one occasion and sounds a lot like Mask Discourse

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Seatbelts keep you from becoming a deadly projectile if the car you're in crashes so uh yeah no, not really. Wearing yours seatbelt is defintely also about protecting others .

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Seatbelts keep you from becoming a deadly projectile if the car you're in crashes so uh yeah no, not really. Wearing yours seatbelt is defintely also about protecting others .

I've never seen actual research that shows a driver becomes a missile that can kill others outside their own car.  Inside the car?  Sure, I'll buy that.  But the claim that you are a deadly projectile doesn't seem to be backed up by data, as far as I know. 

47 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I think that's somewhat common for people in ICUs. 

Is this because of the medication? Because my dad was on oxy for about a week after his open heart surgery and he said that one night he completely forgot where he was and what was happening and the nurse said that’s not uncommon. 

I had an emergency alert on my phone yesterday in San Antonio urging people to stay distanced and stating our hospitals are filling up.  I have skin irritation and a callus from wearing a mask at work all day for the last few weeks. A lot of people I know know of someone close to them who are sick. 

Crazy times.