~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Masks are required indoors in Virginia, and by and large the only people I see not wearing them are white. I went to the grocery store a few days ago, and it services a clientele that is probably a little bit more than half black, and the balance younger whites generally. And the three people I saw there with no masks were two white dudebros in polo shirts and one white guy who looked not all there mentally. 

I haven't been elsewhere recently to take note of mask wearing otherwise

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/10/support-bubble-plan-lets-single-parents-in-england-combine-households

About 11 million people living alone or as single parents will be allowed to combine with another household to form a “support bubble” in England, Boris Johnson has said.

The prime minister announced the new easing of social restrictions at his daily press conference in a move to alleviate loneliness among adults struggling on their own.

The guidelines will apply from midnight on Saturday, meaning some grandparents will be able to hug their grandchildren for the first time and some couples can be reunited.

In the last month I’ve been in

Las Cruces, NM

El Paso, TX

San Antonio, TX

Houston, TX

The only one that had majority mask wearers when I was out was El Paso. Every place we went to was 90%+ masked up. The rest have were probably 20% or lower. I’ve been to random places in Houston that were maybe 70% masked.

I think people are mostly just over the restrictions. Doesn’t help that we have had so much conflicting information even just since March. 

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

In the last month I’ve been in

Las Cruces, NM

El Paso, TX

San Antonio, TX

Houston, TX

The only one that had majority mask wearers when I was out was El Paso. Every place we went to was 90%+ masked up. The rest have were probably 20% or lower. I’ve been to random places in Houston that were maybe 70% masked.

I think people are mostly just over the restrictions. Doesn’t help that we have had so much conflicting information even just since March. 

True.

I think it’s also not helping that depending on your geography and demographics, many people likely don’t know anyone affected by this and think everything about it is overstated.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

The apolitical people also get influenced by the moronic partisan divide on mask-wearing. If there were clearer messaging on the issue, those people would be wearing them too.

True. One of my friends was non-ironically talking about the summer heat killing the virus. 

55 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I just had a conversation with my sister who pretty much just said this. She's done... which is so crazy to me. She has two kids to think about.

I have my father, a cancer survivor, to think about. I have two close friends, another cancer survivor and one diabetic, to think about. My grandfather has had several health issues over the past couple of years, I have to think about him.

This isn’t about me, but it’s pissing me off that people are being so la Dee dah about it now.

Fuck.

Ugh, one of my favourite coworkers is leaving and today is his last day, so a few people are going out for lunch. I haven't been in a restaurant since this started, so I am conflicted. On the one hand, it might be my last chance to see him, possibly forever. On the other, there is the risk. Fortunately my city has no active cases, so the risk is low, but I also know that by everyone taking risks we increase the overall chances of spread if a case gets through. In this situation the seating is limited and spread out, but I am still conflicted.

When I got shopping, a large majority of POC wear masks. The majority of white people do not. Those who don’t wear mask are generally not considerate of those who are trying to maintain a safe distance.

On the other hand, literally everyone at the protest I went to was wearing a mask.

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ugh, one of my favourite coworkers is leaving and today is his last day, so a few people are going out for lunch. I haven't been in a restaurant since this started, so I am conflicted. On the one hand, it might be my last chance to see him, possibly forever. On the other, there is the risk. Fortunately my city has no active cases, so the risk is low, but I also know that by everyone taking risks we increase the overall chances of spread if a case gets through. In this situation the seating is limited and spread out, but I am still conflicted.

If you work in close quarters with the same people that are going to lunch is it really gonna matter if you dont go? 

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

If you work in close quarters with the same people that are going to lunch is it really gonna matter if you dont go? 

Most of us are working from home right now. Unfortunately the two people who are on the hiring committee to replace him (I am applying for his job) will also be at the lunch, so it's valuable face time ahead of the interviews next week. I am leaning towards not going, though.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Most of us are working from home right now. Unfortunately the two people who are on the hiring committee to replace him (I am applying for his job) will also be at the lunch, so it's valuable face time ahead of the interviews next week. I am leaning towards not going, though.

If that is the case I might avoid it. 

• Thanks 1

I live in a Geo-politically interesting area as Cornell is a liberal bastion surrounded by nothing but redneck farm land, its a purple tornado if you will. I see the rednecks ignoring the state law as a point of pride and the liberals doing it because they are not missing the little jimmy's X birthday party or other such excuses! Either way, most people have stopped wearing masks where I live so I look like the lone leper wearing a mask at the corner grocery store on the occasion that I need to go. Sad really. For one reason or another, it seems to me that many Americans believe themselves to be above rules. Perhaps this is the "rebel" nature our European counterparts are always talking about? Embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I live in a Geo-politically interesting area as Cornell is a liberal bastion surrounded by nothing but redneck farm land, its a purple tornado if you will. I see the rednecks ignoring the state law as a point of pride and the liberals doing it because they are not missing the little jimmy X birthday party! Either way, most people have stopped wearing masks where I live so I look like the lone leper wearing a mask at the my corner grocery store on the occasion that I need to go. Sad really. For one reason or another, it seems to me that many Americans believe themselves to be above rules. Perhaps this is the "rebel" nature our European counterparts are always talking about? Embarrassing. 

Actually had a customer complain to my office last week because I wouldnt shake his hand. Before this all unfolded I always shook hands but now , its not gonna happen and honestly its kinda gross when you think about it.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

The plan has changed to ordering into the office where we can space out much better, so now I'm in!

I was about to suggest that it seems like your wife presents a good excuse for not going if you were concerned about coming off as difficult for not going, but glad that's all moot now.

My company just announced we're working from home until at least October. Also we had a company survey about working from home and the company was shocked that 96% of us took it, 95% of us who did said we want to continue to wfh in some capacity with 50% saying they want to wfh full time. 

My company had sent out surveys and talked about their return plan with the first phase starting with 25% office occupancy. But the time-line was dependent on a 14-day decrease in confirmed cases, which if things start to reopen too soon is not going to happen. 

My daughter's daycare had no plans yet for opening up, following the instructions of the governor. This is a problem because my wife is working at a year round public school that still does regular instruction because every kid has a laptop and WiFi hotspot and they're asking teachers to come in (with distance and masks) for the start of the next year cycle (in July) and so I will be stay at home/working dad for four days a week. This is gonna suuuuuuuck.

Luckily my company is incredibly flexible due to covid. We just have to discuss with our manager and we get unlimited time off due to issues because of covid, even if that means some loss in productivity. 

Posted this here instead of the “Existing While Black” thread because of the potential self own of a bunch of drooling rednecks getting COVID because you know NONE OF THEM will be wearing masks.

In fact, I bet ELEVENTY MILLION DOLLARS that Trump will see people wearing masks in the crowd and encourage them to take them off.

“Come on! Take-’em off! You don’t need’em!”

3 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

When I got shopping, a large majority of POC wear masks. The majority of white people do not. Those who don’t wear mask are generally not considerate of those who are trying to maintain a safe distance.

On the other hand, literally everyone at the protest I went to was wearing a mask.

Where I’m from it’s the exact opposite.

15 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Posted this here instead of the “Existing While Black” thread because of the potential self own of a bunch of drooling rednecks getting COVID because you know NONE OF THEM will be wearing masks.

In fact, I bet ELEVENTY MILLION DOLLARS that Trump will see people wearing masks in the crowd and encourage them to take them off.

Are we talking facial medical like masks or them big white ones that cover the entire face and head? Wouldn’t want to look silly going in with the wrong covering.

32 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Are we talking facial medical like masks or them big white ones that cover the entire face and head? Wouldn’t want to look silly going in with the wrong covering.

Which ones cover the entire face and head???

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

He should encourage them to take place in a giant orgy.

"Come on people, kiss the person next to you. Really get your tongue in there! I want to see fucking! I want to see sucking! Grab em all by the pussy. Blood for the blood god."

Then he starts rubbing his nipples as a giant demon like the one in Fantasia rises up behind him and starts killing everyone.

His approval rating would probably drop from 38% to something like 35% if that happened.

Conservative Christian leaders would be like " Well, we know he's not the perfect candidate, but sometimes god works in mysterious ways. He still has my support!"

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2020 at 6:57 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Toronto just released a map by neighbourhood of all COVID-19 cases.

20200527-covid19-toronto-map1.jpg-resize

The hotspots are NOT in the downtown core, where the subway and the dense condos are.  They are in the poor apartment buildings of Rexdale and North Scarborough.

Sweet. Mines the lowest with 7 cases. Totally because it’s super wealthy or in my part, middle class elderly or 35 year olds with small kids. Yet like 200 feet from us is the next area when poorer minorities live and the number skyrockets :(