~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

$10 it will be tied to if the home was Team Nintendo or Team Sega in the 1990s.

What if your home was both (including Turbo Grafx16) like mine was?

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

:pray:

It would be really great if temperature screening turned out to be actually useful and not just useless theater.

Don't the Koreans use it pretty effectively? I think New Zealand does as well... it's not an absolute indicator but it does help reduce the risk in addition to other methods, if I'm not mistaken.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What if your home was both (including Turbo Grafx16) like mine was?

Don't the Koreans use it pretty effectively? I think New Zealand does as well... it's not an absolute indicator but it does help reduce the risk in addition to other methods, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know how effective it is, but almost all public buildings have some sort of thermal camera set-up by the entrance to read people's temperatures. Some offices and places like gyms require you to take your temperature at the door and record it on a piece of paper, along with your name and phone number. That way if there is a breakout they can trace who was there.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Am I understanding this right? The original news was conflating infected people without symptoms with people newly exposed to the virus, but still within the week or two prior to symptoms developing? What a fucking cluster.

Texas reports a record number of hospitalized coronavirus patients after state reopened early

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/texas-reports-a-record-high-number-of-hospitalized-coronavirus-patients-after-state-reopened-early.html

Data:

https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-coronavirus-cases-map/?_ga=2.78931284.1920787121.1591669431-1624147324.1591669431

I watch these charts everyday and the ones around my area to try to determine what sort of measures we need to be taking.  The improvement on many of the stats started to level off in May to mid-May. Just the past 3 weeks, I started to see the daily infection rate and the case count start to slowly trend up. This 3 week trend was also present in the hospitalization numbers and here we are at a record. Now who knows, this may trend down from here, but it's doubtful because this isn't a typical Drudge headline of a statistic blip. This was from a trend which anyone can clearly look at for the past 3 weeks at the Texas Tribune.

Edited

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Am I understanding this right? The original news was conflating infected people without symptoms with people newly exposed to the virus, but still within the week or two prior to symptoms developing? What a fucking cluster.

At this point I won't be surprised if the WHO puts out the statement: "Don't worry about catching HIV, it's not dangerous!"

Followed by a scramble of scientists correcting them and comment that AIDS is deadly, and HIV is merely the precursor, so technically the statement is correct.

9 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah I've been trying to explain the difference between asymptomatic and presymptomati since this thing started because it was obvious that the two were being conflated if you actually read what was being reported at the time.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I've been trying to explain the difference between asymptomatic and presymptomati since this thing started because it was obvious that the two were being conflated if you actually read what was being reported at the time.

Also people are also not considering those infected who have very mild symptoms and shrug it off as allergies or more mild colds (coupled with not being able to get tested) would absolutely be thought of as asymptomatic for most people. 

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

"The rules" keep changing. Way to fucking go WHO, you've given the mouth breathers another anti covid talking point because of your botched comms

Yeah I think we can all agree, and need to accept the fact that both The WHO and The CDC have been politically compromised... The WHO by China and The CDC by The Trump Administration... god help us all. Or God damn us all... I'm still trying to make up my mind.

25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I think we can all agree, and need to accept the fact that both The WHO and The CDC have been politically compromised... The WHO by China and The CDC by The Trump Administration... god help us all. Or God damn us all... I'm still trying to make up my mind.

Right now I’m pretty sure “god” is a bored 11 year old playing sim city, and now that they’ve filled the screen and are tired of playing maintenance, they’re just spamming the disaster button over and over to see what happens.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

We left it for the wrong reasons, and we can't fix it from the outside. 

I agree. You can't win if you don't play the game (and in this case you can lose by not playing my default). Trump is a baby that doesn't want to fight back.

My dad is having surgery so he had to get the covid test. I drove him and they did both the nose and the throat. Of course my dad had no reaction and was like “that’s what everybody is worried about?” Lol. The drive thru was pretty fast too. Just took his name down and then swabbed him and we left. 

Just now, johnny said:

My dad is having surgery so he had to get the covid test. I drove him and they did both the nose and the throat. Of course my dad had no reaction and was like “that’s what everybody is worried about?” Lol. The drive thru was pretty fast too. Just took his name down and then swabbed him and we left. 

I didn't realize I had a son on D1P.

• Shocked 1

Just now, Ricofoley said:

A COVID-positive Great Clips stylist saw 140 customers while infected, but all Great Clips employees had masks on, and they had other social distancing measures in place. There were zero confirmed secondary infections found. Keep wearing masks!

https://www.springfieldmo.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=6939

Only 40-ish were tested though, right?

COVID-19 suspected in the death of the president of Burundi (The Guardian)

The outgoing president of Burundi has died of a sudden illness, suspected by many to be Covid-19.

The cause of Pierre Nkurunziza’s death was described as a heart attack in a government statement. The 55-year-old was due to stand down in August following elections last month.

It was unclear exactly when he died. A government statement said the president, a keen sports enthusiast, had attended a game of volleyball on Saturday but fell ill that night and was taken to hospital. 

The former footballer’s health improved on Sunday but “surprisingly, on morning of Monday June 8, 2020, his health suddenly deteriorated and he had a heart attack”. The statement described Nkurunziza’s death as “unexpected” and asked people to remain calm. Seven days of mourning have been announced. 

Nkurunziza had refused to impose restrictions in the small and poor African country, allowing sporting events and mass political rallies to go ahead.