~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

On 6/4/2020 at 1:09 PM, sblfilms said:

Hogwash. Every time there was any news that was at all negative about the potential for the drug, people were cheering it. Trump looking bad was more important than a possible therapeutic. 

This isn't anymore true than accusing folks of wanting to rush things opening despite the risk to public health and safety because it's in their own financial benefit. Trump was being INCREDIBLY irresponsible with his rhetoric and didn't give a DAMN about what the evidence was. That's what most folks were objecting to. At least I was.

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

There's not gonna be a definitive answer as to whether the protests caused a spike in cases when this stuff is happening at the same time. A bunch of people have just decided they're done with trying to avoid COVID.

There isn't, but you know which side is going to get scapegoated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-absurd-world-of-coronavirus-mask-traders-and-middlemen-trying-to-get-rich-off-government-money/amp

It was 10 p.m. on a Tuesday, and I was watching footage of secret stockpiles of N95 masks, so-called proof-of-life videos sent to me by strangers, when Tim, the juicer salesman, called.

“My name is Tim, and I heard you’re looking into VPL,” the man said in a squeaky, nervous timbre. “I distanced myself from the company because they weren’t delivering what they said.”

A few hours earlier, I had called the owner of VPL Medical LLC, a company outside Los Angeles that had gotten a $6.4 million contract from the Department of Veterans Affairs to supply 8 million three-ply surgical masks to hospitals dealing with the COVID-19 crisis. My call freaked them out, Tim said, and someone at the company had passed my number along to him.

What was his interest in the story, I asked.

“I went and got myself $8,000 in cash. I was on my way with the money in a briefcase…,” he began.

I had called VPL because records showed the company incorporated just four days before it won the VA deal, and it went on to win another $14.5 million no-bid contract the next day from the federal office in charge of the national stockpile. Its new website featured a photo of the sort of “ear loop” mask the federal government has since branded as ineffective Chinese knockoffs. The moniker stands for Viral Protection Labs, but the labs exist only in the stock art chosen for the website.

7 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

There's not gonna be a definitive answer as to whether the protests caused a spike in cases when this stuff is happening at the same time. A bunch of people have just decided they're done with trying to avoid COVID.

I just did a story on this last night... cases are already spiking and Officials are saying the numbers they are seeing NOW can't be attributed to the protestors since any cases that may come from them won't be apparent until another week or two. The increase in cases that we have seen in the past week are definitely due to increased mobility due to reopening, graduation parties and ceremonies that haven't followed social distancing, and of COURSE memorial day.

That said, none of those events have the spread potential that these protests do and we may not only see a spike in the coming weeks, but potentially a second wave. That might be mitigated by the two factors, weather and masks. We can only hope at this point.

13 minutes ago, CayceG said:

So we can all agree if the spike does develop into a second wave, it was caused by white supremacy, right?

Well if it wasn't the protests it's because people of means were demanding to be served and not be constrained by law... So yes.

Brazil stops releasing Covid-19 death toll and wipes data from official site (The Guardian)

The Brazilian government has been accused of totalitarianism and censorship after it stopped releasing its total numbers of Covid-19 cases and deaths and wiped an official site clean of swaths of data.

Health ministry insiders told local media the move was ordered by far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, himself – and was met with widespread outrage in Brazil, one of the world’s worst-hit Covid-19 hotspots, with more deaths than Italy and more cases than Russia and the UK.

“The authoritarian, insensitive, inhuman and unethical attempt to make those killed by Covid-19 invisible will not succeed. We and Brazilian society will not forget them, nor the tragedy that befalls the nation,” said Alberto Beltrame, president of Brazil’s national council of state health secretaries, in a statement.

Cuba sets example with successful programme to contain coronavirus (The Guardian)

Every morning from 8am to 11 family doctor Liz Caballero winds through twisting alleys and ducks under washing lines in Havana’s Vedado district. She interviews families sharing crumbling art deco mansions and works her way through Soviet-style apartment blocks. She’s looking for signs.

“It’s not uncommon for us to go door to door like this,” she said. “We’ve done it in the past when we’ve had dengue outbreaks.”

The World Health Organization has identified Latin America as the new centre for coronavirus pandemic, but over the last two months, cases in Cuba have fallen. Cubans are now 24 times less likely to catch the virus than Dominicans, 27 times less likely to catch it than Mexicans, and more than 70 times less likely to be infected than Brazilians

How a small Spanish town became one of Europe's worst Covid-19 hotspots (The Guardian)

When we first spoke, in mid-April, María José Dueñas began weeping within seconds. Her parents’ home town, Santo Domingo de La Calzada, had the worst death rate from coronavirus in Spain, she told me on the phone. “I’m so scared,” she said. Dueñas told stories of police clambering through windows to rescue the dying, who were too weak to open their doors. Regional politicians, meanwhile, refused to give town-by-town figures for the dead, stoking anxiety and encouraging conspiracy theories. Santo Domingo’s locked-down residents, she claimed, were being deliberately kept in the dark as the virus silently stalked the town.

Dueñas does not live in Santo Domingo, a town of 6,300 people set among patchwork fields of cereal crops in the northern Spanish region of La Rioja. She was born there, but now lives 28 miles away in Logroño, the capital of this wealthy region, best known for the rich red wines that bear its name. Her angry, sometimes wildly conspiratorial outbursts on local Facebook groups – some of which have been deleted against her will – mean not all her old neighbours will welcome her back.

If Covid-19 increases tensions among neighbours in big cities, it can produce poisonous outbreaks of mistrust in small, more insular places like Santo Domingo. By the time Dueñas and I spoke again, two weeks later, the abbot from the town’s small cathedral had lodged a complaint against her for defamation. (She had claimed the church was covering up the role it had played in spreading the virus.) Even members of her own family were livid at the way she had aired Santo Domingo’s sorry status as one of Spain’s worst Covid-19 disaster zones.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Well if it wasn't the protests it's because people of means were demanding to be served and not be constrained by law... So yes.

We also have to remember that before these protests, there were other protests that happened weeks earlier. The first set of protesters did NOT wear masks while this group did. 

• Thanks 1

International Data suggests Covid Outbreak started earlier in China than previously reported... like OCTOBER.

Dramatic spikes in auto traffic around major hospitals in Wuhan last fall suggest the novel coronavirus may have been present and spreading through central China long before the outbreak was first reported to the world, according to a new Harvard Medical School study. Using techniques similar to those employed by intelligence agencies, the research team behind the study analyzed commercial satellite imagery and "observed a dramatic increase in hospital traffic outside five major Wuhan hospitals beginning late summer and early fall 2019," according to Dr. John Brownstein, the Harvard Medical professor who led the research.

Brownstein, an ABC News contributor, said the traffic increase also "coincided with" elevated queries on a Chinese internet search for "certain symptoms that would later be determined as closely associated with the novel coronavirus." Though Brownstein acknowledged the evidence is circumstantial, he said the study makes for an important new data point in the mystery of COVID-19's origins. “Something was happening in October,” said Brownstein, the chief innovation officer at Boston Children’s Hospital and director of the medical center’s Computational Epidemiology Lab. “Clearly, there was some level of social disruption taking place well before what was previously identified as the start of the novel coronavirus pandemic.”

There's a LOT to unpack in this article and none of it is conclusive but...

Former acting Homeland Security Undersecretary John Cohen, who oversaw DHS intelligence operations during the Obama administration, said the new research suggests that COVID-19, which has already killed more than 110,000 Americans, was likely brought to the U.S. by travelers from Wuhan long before it was detected. “This study raises serious questions about whether the coronavirus was first introduced into the United States earlier than previously reported and whether measures announced in late January restricting travel from China were too little too late,” said Cohen, now an ABC News contributor.

Oh and New Zealand Seems to have Eradicated the Virus

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand appears to have completely eradicated the coronavirus — at least for now — after health officials said Monday the last known infected person had recovered. The announcement was greeted with joy around the country and means the nation of 5 million people will be among the first to welcome throngs of fans back into sports stadiums, embrace crowded concerts and remove seating restrictions from flights.

It has been 17 days since the last new case was reported, during which time an additional 40,000 people have been tested, bringing the total number tested to about 300,000. Monday marked the first time since late February there have been no active cases. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said she was confident New Zealand had halted the spread of the virus but it still must be prepared for more.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Made my eyes water.

Okay but apparently there's one that only goes partway into your nose instead of feeling like a brain probe, still not sure if you had a shallow one or if the brain probe just didn't bother you that much. :p

I've had the one that feels like they shove it into your brain. (not for Covid, but for the flu)

It's really not fun, but it's over in a second and then your eyes are watering and you feel ookie and nasally violated for 2 minutes and then that's it.

Not a big deal.

Are we underestimating how many people are resistant to Covid-19? (The Guardian)

During the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, cities were in general affected worse than smaller conurbations or rural areas. Yet in Italy, Rome was relatively spared while the villages of Lombardy experienced very high rates of sickness and death. Then again, one Lombard village – Ferrara Erbognone – stood out for not recording a single case of Covid-19 at the height of the wave. Nobody knows why.

The puzzle is not just Italian. From the beginning, Covid-19 struck unevenly across the globe, and scientists have been trying to understand the reasons. Why are some populations or sectors of a population more vulnerable than others? Or to turn the question around, why are some groups relatively protected?

WHO: Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is "very rare"

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren’t driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections. 

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn’t have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it’s being transmitted. 

• Shocked 1