~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

19 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

(raises hand)

Guilty as charged and not only do I regret NOTHING, I will GLADLY do it AGAIN...and AGAIN...and AGAIN...

At least you are honest about it!

I hold both opinions, and I don't see any conflict with that. If Trump is right about something and it helps people, I will be happy about it helping people, but also mad because it gives Trump credit/praise (since he is a horrible person and leader). If Trump is wrong about something and it ends up not helping people, I am unhappy about it not helping, but also happy because he looks like the moron he is (since any guess he made was purely that, and not based on any logic or reasoning). I don't see anything wrong with that.

I was POSITIVELY THRILLED at the prospect that the Imbecile would encourage his ardent supporters to take an unproven treatment.  Like UTTERLY beside myself with TOTAL GLEE at the myriad possible outcomes!

THRILLED.

TO.
DEATH.

I'm SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED that he didn't keep pushing it at each and every opportunity.

It’s really simple, in the face of widespread death and harm, a good therapeutic is worth more than Trump getting owned. Cheering for it’s failure is petty nonsense. You are all better than that.

Except Wade, naturally.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s really simple, in the face of widespread death and harm, a good therapeutic is worth more than Trump getting owned. Cheering for it’s failure is petty nonsense. You are all better than that.

Except Wade, naturally.

This isn’t Game 6 against Warriors, hydroxychloroquine isn’t picking up its dribble because people aren’t cheering for it. It either works or doesn’t, and if it doesn’t? At least bad people look dumb. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Except Wade, naturally.

I would rather the drug work. But if it doesn't, of course I am going to mock Trump for promoting it. Heck, I'll mock him for promoting it even if it does work, since he's promoting it based on nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnny said:

If it worked I doubt anybody besides wade would be sad about it. I’d love to have a good treatment for covid. But trump talks out of his ass so we all assumed it wouldn’t work because he’s a fucking moron. 

I'd be extremely annoyed that the Imbecile managed to luck into having something to gloat about but it'd still be a good thing if this actually worked.

Despite half attendance and social distancing, a single student infected most of their class at a reopened school in Quebec, along with at least one student in another class:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/coronavirus-infects-nine-of-11-students-in-trois-rivieres-classroom/wcm/50c143c0-0148-46ee-974e-26b2af6220da/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1591275672

Guys, to be clear, hydroxychloroquine isn't going to randomnly come out of these studies as an effective COVID-19 treatment. It won't because it isn't.

Point is the drug was deemed so dangerous that they couldn't even conduct a trial on it based on very faulty data.

Oh, they're also having us wear face shields now when in contact with any patient. Thanks for the safety, but, damn, I feel like I'm breathing like Darth Vader under all this shit and the damn thing fogs up soooo bad.

We had another positive case on my unit this week, a patient I admitted last week, the same night as my exposure. They were asymptomatic, but it's being required that every patient gets tested before transferring to another medical facility.

PA just ended it's stay-at-home order for all parts of the state, and more counties are now in the green phase of recovery.  They'll probably announce more counties that will follow next week. 

So far, cases per day have been declining despite the reopenings, which is fantastic.

17 hours ago, Jose said:

Point is the drug was deemed so dangerous that they couldn't even conduct a trial on it based on very faulty data.

Again, this is (to some extent) the system functioning as designed.

Early analysis suggested the drug was not safe to use in specific populations. When this happens, it is unethical to continue the trials.

Those data proved dodgy so they were called out, and the course was replotted.

I'm not excusing lousy work, and the Guardian article did a good job calling out some of the problems inherent in observational studies.

I am always, always, ALWAYS going to be in favor of a conservative approach to continuing research if preliminary data suggests a particular compound, or  in this case, compound in a specific population, is not safe.

I don't think there will ever be a single "miracle drug" for the treatment of COVID-19.  Based on everything I've read, it is more likely there will be a "cocktail" of drugs.  I don't think anyone knows what drugs will/won't be part of those cocktails (because I suspect doctors in different areas will use different cocktails).

If the recovery actually happens (even slowly) and the virus' spread remains roughly the same as now, there is almost no way reform of the American economic system and safety net will take place.

"See, we beat it, no need to change!" As millions of women and minorities remain unemployed.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If the recovery actually happens (even slowly) and the virus' spread remains roughly the same as now, there is almost no way reform of the American economic system and safety net will take place.

"See, we beat it, no need to change!" As millions of women and minorities remain unemployed.

Yep.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yay! 

My "gym" opened up a couple days ago and I got my first actual workout in in a few months. I say "gym" but its all one-on-one stuff. Typically never more than 3 people in the building at a time: me, the trainer, and sometimes the owner.

25 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

My "gym" opened up a couple days ago and I got my first actual workout in in a few months. I say "gym" but its all one-on-one stuff. Typically never more than 3 people in the building at a time: me, the trainer, and sometimes the owner.

I had my first workouts this week.  I felt exhausted, stiff, and sweaty...and yet, better than I have in almost a month.

As Trump touts increased production, coronavirus swabs made during his Maine factory tour will be tossed in the trash

It is not clear why the swabs will be scrapped, or how many. The company described its manufacturing plans for Friday as "limited" – but the disruption comes as public health officials in Maine and other states have complained that a shortage of swabs has hampered their ability to massively scale up coronavirus testing.

Who wants to bet they got scrapped because a maskless idiot walked into the production area?