~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I had my first COVID patient last week. The person had been inpatient for 10 days, so they contracted it while in the hospital. Symptoms started up, I pushed to get them tested.

Since we aren't the COVID unit, we don't have the PPE the actual unit has, just simple masks. So far, I've had no symptoms, but I'll be getting tested Tuesday after work. I really can't get tested on the weekends unless I'm symptomatic and go to the ED.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I had my first COVID patient last week. The person had been inpatient for 10 days, so they contracted it while in the hospital. Symptoms started up, I pushed to get them tested.

Since we aren't the COVID unit, we don't have the PPE the actual unit has, just simple masks. So far, I've had no symptoms, but I'll be getting tested Tuesday after work. I really can't get tested on the weekends unless I'm symptomatic and go to the ED.

Do they have any theories on how it was contracted in hospital? Are the rooms in your Covid unit all negative pressure units? 

Are you concerned that you were exposed whole treating the patient before he was known to have it?

1 minute ago, Chollowa said:

Do they have any theories on how it was contracted in hospital? Are the rooms in your Covid unit all negative pressure units? 

Are you concerned that you were exposed whole treating the patient before he was known to have it?

It's been spreading. This was the second patient on my unit to have it and we didn't know it. Multiple staff members got it from that first patient, so they could have easily spread it to this one.

The COVID unit at my hospital is on lockdown. It's consumed an entire floor and those staff don't go to other units and no one is allowed up there. I don't believe all those rooms are negative pressure, because that would be absurd for most hospitals.

I'd taken care of this patient for days prior to showing symptoms, so yes, I've definitely been exposed. I'm just hoping my mask was enough. So far so good.

• Like 1

I received my stimulus payment via direct deposit about two weeks ago and just now I got Trump's self-congratulatory actual printed letter in the mail telling me how America is at 'total war with the invisible enemy'.

This fucking wacko seriously lives in the 1950's.

Bonus absurdity, the flip side is in Spanish. He must've loved seeing his name as Presidente Donald J. Trump so all the mass-murdering bad hombres can read it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Just give it a couple of weeks from when the protests started.

This feels like the sequel to “Reopening is going to kill us all” from a month ago. Could be, but probably not. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

So, deaths and cases seem to be declining. Good to see.

So where are you seeing this info? California had its highest single day jump since the Pandemic began on Sunday.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/02/coronavirus-new-california-cases-set-record-more-than-115000-infected/

They're spiking in DC as Well

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-06-02-20-intl/h_6c92f18a4f6c1070e7b04a2bf8a29dfe

Washington, DC, reported a spike in coronavirus cases Monday, pushing back the city’s timetable for moving to the second phase of reopening additional businesses and public spaces.  In a statement, the DC Health Department confirmed a new peak in positive cases recorded  DC Health confirmed the spike restarts phase one of the District's reopening program. DC needs a 14-day decline in cases of community spread to move on to phase two.  A total of 56 new cases and two deaths were confirmed on Sunday. This raised the total number of cases to 8,857, with at least 468 deaths. 

China delayed releasing coronavirus info, frustrating WHO (AP)

Throughout January, the World Health Organization publicly praised China for what it called a speedy response to the new coronavirus. It repeatedly thanked the Chinese government for sharing the genetic map of the virus “immediately,” and said its work and commitment to transparency were “very impressive, and beyond words.”

But behind the scenes, it was a much different story, one of significant delays by China and considerable frustration among WHO officials over not getting the information they needed to fight the spread of the deadly virus, The Associated Press has found.

Despite the plaudits, China in fact sat on releasing the genetic map, or genome, of the virus for more than a week after three different government labs had fully decoded the information. Tight controls on information and competition within the Chinese public health system were to blame, according to dozens of interviews and internal documents.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So where are you seeing this info? California had its highest single day jump since the Pandemic began on Sunday.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/02/coronavirus-new-california-cases-set-record-more-than-115000-infected/

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-06-02-20-intl/h_6c92f18a4f6c1070e7b04a2bf8a29dfe

There are several websites that aggregate data and provide graphs. There will always be localized hotspots with infectious diseases like this. But the overall trend for the US is improvement. It’s the whole weather vs climate thing.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Cases in NJ at least have fallen off a cliff. 

Also, yes California did report a "big" day, in terms of positive cases (2,423), but they also broke a record for most tests carried out in a single day. The positivity rate was under 4%. Very encouraging!

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Cases in NJ at least have fallen off a cliff. 

Also, yes California did report a "big" day, in terms of positive cases (2,423), but they also broke a record for most tests carried out in a single day. The positivity rate was under 4%. Very encouraging!

That’s true. Oklahoma, which barely ever shut down, has seen their positive rate be in the 3% range for a while now. Lots of good news on the Covid front.

Just now, sblfilms said:

That’s true. Oklahoma, which barely ever shut down, has seen their positive rate be in the 3% range for a while now. Lots of good news on the Covid front.

NJ had a positive rate of over 50% at the peak of the pandemic. It was at 3.8% today. Nuts, I tells you.

25 minutes ago, Jose said:

NJ had a positive rate of over 50% at the peak of the pandemic. It was at 3.8% today. Nuts, I tells you.

NJ is still on lockdown so it makes sense that our rates have fallen. We haven't opened up like other states including California have and because the weather was so bad here memorial day weekend, you didn't see nearly as many people out at the beaches as people would have thought despite them being open. Time will tell and I hope you guys are right, but we keep seeing evidence that opening up prematurely will lead to another surge. We've seen it in past pandemics and we've seen it in other countries. Wishful thinking isn't going to change that. These protests aren't helping matters either and I'm sure when the surge DOES hit, that will be pointed to as the primary cause rather than states opening sooner than they should have..

I don’t know how the actual data showing declining cases and deaths is wishful thinking. It’s what is happening. That has nothing to do with the probability that there will be a second wave at some point, or that there will be localized spikes. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know how the actual data showing declining cases and deaths is wishful thinking. It’s what is happening. That has nothing to do with the probability that there will be a second wave at some point, or that there will be localized spikes. 

Sure it's what is happening... as expected honestly given all of the measures we've taken to halt the virus. Social distancing, wearing masks, minimizing unnecessary gatherings... I would HOPE that infection rates would decrease especially coupled with the change in weather which people thought would also have an effect on transmissions. Having said that, now isn't the time to declare victory and go back to what we were doing before which is what it seems like some are advocating for. I just took a quick glance at the CDC'S website and yes, the infection rate does seem to be in decline nationwide, but the it increased slightly in two regions

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Nationally, the percentages of laboratory specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 with a molecular assay decreased compared to last week; however, there are two developments in particular worth noting: The percent positivity increased slightly in two HHS surveillance regions (Regions 4 [the southeast] and 10 [the Pacific northwest]).

While the number of specimens from children <18 years of age tested is low (<5% of all specimens tested in public health and commercial laboratories), the percentage testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 in this age group has either trended upward or remained relatively stable in recent weeks. Other age groups have seen declines in percent positivity during the same time period.

I think reopening is going to a cause a second wave of spikes, but it will take 6-8 weeks (possibly longer)  before you start to see it materialize in a meaningful way. This may not happen if enough people continue to use masks and social distance during the reopening process. I see a lot of people around me starting to loosen up and I think it's premature. Bars are starting to serve, I just heard someone I know is going to a wedding with a ton of people just 2 weeks from now. 

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

A positive rate of 50% is mostly a reflection of how little testing is being done. 

The testing has increased for sure, but nowhere near enough to explain the 56% to 3.8% difference, The virus has slowed massively in NJ.

I think people have become somewhat deadened to the tragedy.

Our current numbers are worse than any other country saw during their worst peaks. Remember when we were worried we were on track to see Italy-like numbers? They are down to 60 per day. The worst they ever saw was 900 in a day. May 27th, 28th, and 29th saw 1,379, 1,217, and 1,175 dead respectively for us.

The U.K. response would be the laughing stock and horror of the entire world if we weren't around to make them look good by comparison. They also never saw(or at least reported) more that 1,172 deathes in a day. 

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Our current numbers are worse than any other country saw during their worst peaks. Remember when we were worried we were on track to see Italy-like numbers? They are down to 60 per day. The worst they ever saw was 900 in a day. May 27th, 28th, and 29th saw 1,379, 1,217, and 1,175 dead respectively for us.

The U.K. response would be the laughing stock and horror of the entire world if we weren't around to make them look good by comparison. They also never saw(or at least reported) more that 1,172 deathes in a day. 

Why on Earth would you not account for population?

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure it's what is happening... as expected honestly given all of the measures we've taken to halt the virus.

You literally went from questioning that it was happening to now saying it is expected in like one hour :p 

8 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The UK, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, and France all have worse per capita deaths than the US.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Where is our resident CCP defender @SilentWorldat to explain how it’s really not that bad or whatever 

What do you want me to respond to?

edit: this seems like a bad faith mention. Isn’t that supposed to be against the rules. 

edit2: I don’t think I explain how it’s not really that bad as much as I ask for clarification when people (especially you) say it is REALLY REALLY BAD. If that makes me a china defender then so be it. 

I’m still waiting for you to tell me how much community spread is actually occurring in China. But I guess I’m such a defender to even ask for clarification on that point. 

55 minutes ago, Jose said:

Why on Earth would you not account for population?

54 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The UK, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, and France all have worse per capita deaths than the US.

Honestly, I don't feel like getting into an hours long debate about this throwing statistics back and forth.

If it hits a spot with you when I say some people seem deadened to the tragedy, maybe there's a reason for that.

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Honestly, I don't feel like getting into an hours long debate about this throwing statistics back and forth.

If it hits a spot with you when I say some people seem deadened to the tragedy, maybe there's a reason for that.

Per capita is the only sensible way to compare nations of different population sizes. Doesn’t need to be a back and forth of stats to acknowledge that.

Just now, Chairslinger said:

It hits a spot because you almost want to make the virus worse than it is when it's already bad enough.

We never had our hospitals overrun in the same way that happened in Italy nor were the death numbers the same per capita. Dude, I live in the country's first epicenter of the crisis and the hospitals here were near capacity, but it just didn't happen here like it happened in Italy. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I got tested this morning after my shift. I still feel like the back of my eyeball was poked. Didn't scream, but I let out a low "hrrrrrnnnggghhhhh" the entire time with my nails digging into my palms. 15 seconds of pure torture. May I never have to do that again.

Did you get the one where they twist the q-tip for 30 seconds?

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I got tested this morning after my shift. I still feel like the back of my eyeball was poked. Didn't scream, but I let out a low "hrrrrrnnnggghhhhh" the entire time with my nails digging into my palms. 15 seconds of pure torture. May I never have to do that again.

Crossing my fingers it comes back negative. :sun:

• Thanks 1