~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

On 5/26/2020 at 8:35 PM, CitizenVectron said:

This appears to apply to the fast ones.

So good thing the CDC is using those tests in its numbers now?

Hmm, the fast ones?

I took a COVID test and an antibody test, both negative. My antibody test was a result of my blood donation recently.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

So BTW, what exactly is the problem with the antibody tests? Is it just that it seems that not everyone who gets COVID-19 winds up having antibodies present, or is it something else?

It seems that some of them are quite accurate (if you have antibodies, it means you've been exposed to COVID-19), but some are not (as bad as 50/50 on false positives/negatives). In theory they are a useful tool, but none of the tests have been rigorously tested and approved, as far as I am aware (I could be wrong).

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It seems that some of them are quite accurate (if you have antibodies, it means you've been exposed to COVID-19), but some are not (as bad as 50/50 on false positives/negatives). In theory they are a useful tool, but none of the tests have been rigorously tested and approved, as far as I am aware (I could be wrong).

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

From what I read, if you tested positive, that's VERY likely to be correct.

If you test negative, it's 50/50.

But what makes the negative result a 50/50? Is it that not everyone develops antibodies or do they think it might be something else?

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

But what makes the negative result a 50/50? Is it that not everyone develops antibodies or do they think it might be something else?

I'm not an expert, but I think that some of the quick tests don't actually return good data. So it will say you have antibodies, but you actually don't (and vice-versa). The actual test itself isn't very good and returns false info. The blood tests seem better, apparently.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm not an expert, but I think that some of the quick tests don't actually return good data. So it will say you have antibodies, but you actually don't (and vice-versa). The actual test itself isn't very good and returns false info. The blood tests seem better, apparently.

There also doesn't seem to be much info on how much antibodies actually means anything, so just having antibodies doesn't necessarily mean a person won't get sick later. Until that's known, it's fine for tracing exposure, but it doesn't do anything as far as telling us which people are good to mingle and which people are still susceptible to infection.

Has these been any data on whether length of time since recovery effects antibody tests? Like, if you get tested 6 months after recovery are you more likely to get a false negative than if you recovered 3 months ago?

I figure since we can't even do testing right to begin with this is also a big question mark, but wonder if others have seen some speculation on it. Like, I know at least some illnesses leave markers for years, right?

56 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Has these been any data on whether length of time since recovery effects antibody tests? Like, if you get tested 6 months after recovery are you more likely to get a false negative than if you recovered 3 months ago?

I figure since we can't even do testing right to begin with this is also a big question mark, but wonder if others have seen some speculation on it. Like, I know at least some illnesses leave markers for years, right?

Someone that knows better than I should feel free to correct me. Unless I'm mistaken, that's exactly what we don't know. If the antibodies you have wear out over the course of a few months, then there is no long term immunity to COVID-19. Measles isn't a lifelong vaccine and you need booster shots every so often to stay good. Everything I've read says that we don't know what levels people need of COVID-19 antibodies to know whether or not they're safe from infection or how long the antibodies stick around.

There are 2 aspects to tests, specificity and sensitivity.  In my experience you would want to have a rapid antibody test to be not very specific (ok to pick up similar caronavirus antibodies) and be rather sensitive with a higher rate of false positives.  You can then go back and retest the positive samples using a virus nutralization method that takes more time/ resources, but you are screening out the definitely negative cases.  Also don't get me started on the differences in antibodies (Igg, Igm) and how usually trying to detect one doesn't mean you can detect the other in the same test.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I was talking to my neighbour, a local doctor, who has been involved with treating COVID-19 patients in the hospital.

Current thinking is that the original assumptions about how the virus was transmitted were completely wrong.  His take was that you don't get the virus from surfaces (which was the original assumption).

Based on what he is seeing, he believes that the medical community thinks that people are getting the virus from extended close contact with an infected individual.  (i.e. being within 1 metre of an infected individual, without PPE for 15 min+).  He claims that in our area, you won't even get a test  if you don't have an extended close contact case with an infected person.  Unlike other viruses, you don't catch this from touching an infected surface, but rather by being close to an infected person (whether they are showing any symptoms or not).  So, heating up the interior of a vehicle won't help...

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I was talking to my neighbour, a local doctor, who has been involved with treating COVID-19 patients in the hospital.

Current thinking is that the original assumptions about how the virus was transmitted were completely wrong.  His take was that you don't get the virus from surfaces (which was the original assumption).

Based on what he is seeing, he believes that the medical community thinks that people are getting the virus from extended close contact with an infected individual.  (i.e. being within 1 metre of an infected individual, without PPE for 15 min+).  He claims that in our area, you won't even get a test  if you don't have an extended close contact case with an infected person.  Unlike other viruses, you don't catch this from touching an infected surface, but rather by being close to an infected person (whether they are showing any symptoms or not).  So, heating up the interior of a vehicle won't help...

If people have been taking using hand sanitizer seriously then that explains the seeming lack of surface transmission. If a sick person coughed all over a doorknob, then you touched it and then touched your face, I don't see how that wouldn't be an exposure mechanism. I also don't see how it wouldn't be an exposure mechanism to have someone with COVID in the car hacking their lungs out and then get into that car, even if the sick person got out as you got in.

Just now, Jason said:

If people have been taking using hand sanitizer seriously then that explains the seeming lack of surface transmission. If a sick person coughed all over a doorknob, then you touched it and then touched your face, I don't see how that wouldn't be an exposure mechanism. I also don't see how it wouldn't be an exposure mechanism to have someone with COVID in the car hacking their lungs out and then get into that car, even if the sick person got out as you got in.

His POV, was that you need a certain volume of virus in your lungs to get infected.  Asymptomatic people are shedding the virus while talking (and you are breathing it in), and symptomatic people are coughing/sneezing it into the air. Based on what he is seeing, he doesn't think that the virus transmits easily by touching your face.  (This is the complete opposite of the general POV 2 months ago.)

Again, he felt that local governments in Canada weren't communicating this, because of how it might negatively change behaviour.  HOWEVER, it seems somewhat consistent with what the CDC has posted on their website in the US over the last week.

So my cousin’s husband still hasn’t returned to work because he is still suffering from his battle with Covid. Gets winded by simply doing a flight of stairs trying to carry his laundry. Sadly his job is delivering parcels for Canada Post. So he had a new chest x-ray done to see what is still wrong with him. The doctor told him that the x-ray showed that the bottom 25% of his left lung has pretty much collapsed. He said it will take a few months but his lung should eventually return to normal but he will be feeling winded for some time. 

plus I’m back to merchandising stores with help as I still deal from wrist surgery. One store had either 3 days ago confirmed 14 new cases or an overall case total of workers in just over a month. Some stores are starting to take down our names when we enter in case of a breakout I guess. More are going to make masks mandatory but not store chain wide, just in hot spots of positive public testing

• Sad 2

Coronavirus: Monkeys 'escape with COVID-19 samples' after attacking lab assistant

A gang of monkeys attacked a laboratory assistant and escaped with a batch of coronavirus blood test samples, it has been reported.

The bizarre incident saw the troop of primates launch their assault near Meerut Medical College in Delhi, India.

• Haha 2