~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's an open secret (even joke) in our society that senior and long-term care homes are horrible places. In Canada, like the US, they are mostly private operations. During the current pandemic they were losing so many patients to the virus (and staff who would not return to work) that provinces requested military aid, which the federal government granted.

It turns out the military has been shocked with what it has seen in the management of these facilities, and has been reporting the infractions and conditions to the federal government through chain of command:

Though this is a provincial-jurisdiction, I hope the government manages to step in somehow. These are massive cash cows that over time have reduced service while increasing fees.

Apparently the report was written on May 14th, but didn't get passed to the Province until the 24th.  :shock:

Guys, I’ve been drinking a lot, and I mean A LOT, since this whole thing started. I’ve discovered new beers, reclaimed my love of drinking vodka straight, and even sampled new wines. That said, I decided to take a break tonight, and I think the withdraw effects have me hallucinating:

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

According to data I found here, the mortality rate of COVID-19 in Nevada is about 4.9%. Maybe I did the math wrong?  If not, that's pretty high.

How much testing are they doing? If they're doing less testing than other places then it'll push the mortality rate up.

11 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Guys, I’ve been drinking a lot, and I mean A LOT, since this whole thing started. I’ve discovered new beers, reclaimed my love of drinking vodka straight, and even sampled new wines. That said, I decided to take a break tonight, and I think the withdraw effects have me hallucinating:

they are desperately trying not to get sued at this point.  this is the ONLY reason

Just now, Jason said:

How much testing are they doing? If they're doing less testing than other places then it'll push the mortality rate up.

More than 148,000 tests have been performed to date in Nevada.  8,000 have been positive. 

What irks me is the people who are saying "hurr durr, the death rate is only .0000002%!"  I'm pretty sure those people are taking the total number of deaths and dividing it by the total population.  

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

More than 148,000 tests have been performed to date in Nevada.  8,000 have been positive. 

What irks me is the people who are saying "hurr durr, the death rate is only .0000002%!"  I'm pretty sure those people are taking the total number of deaths and dividing it by the total population.  

Yeah, and there's even differences between the infected fatality rate and the case (i.e. hospitalizations more or less) fatality rate so it's another case where if you are an armchair commentator you can make up/repurpose definitions to fit your agenda without batting an eye

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Check this shit out:

Fuck the CDC, fuck Trump, and fuck Florida.

There is a decent chance we will never know the true scale of this virus. It's possible that it's double or triple as widespread (and with as many corresponding deaths) as reported.

Official "died of covid" numbers are going to be lower than the death toll, and that's fine.

We always report the number of people who died in wartime as dead during that conflict if they die from disease or starvation. Take the US civil war for example. The commonly quoted death toll is ~600,000. More people died from disease than were killed in action, but we still count these deaths as due to the war.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

That's where the Nashville epicenters are--apartment complexes where poorer people live. They are likely mostly essential workers. 

Exactly right... these are folks that can't work from home or quarantine in place. They can't isolate so of course they are going to experience higher rates of infection. 

7 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Check this shit out:

There is a decent chance we will never know the true scale of this virus. It's possible that it's double or triple as widespread (and with as many corresponding deaths) as reported.

Did you bother to fact check that claim?

Check this shit out:

It appears that Texas is also under-reported. 4622 pneumonia deaths this year compared to 973 in 2018 for the same period.

Is there a source on either of these numbers?

51 minutes ago, Jose said:

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is there a source on either of these numbers?

From what I can see, those numbers are off a bit, but are in the correct range. Generating reports from:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

and

https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/datarequest/D76;jsessionid=79613680F2D76D396E1F3B335F1CB3D6

Florida:
2018 Flu/Pnuemonia TOTAL deaths: 3091
2018 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 1181
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 5549

Texas:
2018 Flu/Pnuemonia TOTAL deaths: 3516

2018 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 1229
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 5046

So 4x to 5x higher than 2018 for the same time period.

EDIT - US as a whole:

US:
2018 Flu/Pnuemonia TOTAL deaths: 59120
2018 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 22908
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 97676

The CDC is a bit behind in their reporting (they still have total US COVID-19 deaths at around 77k), but that would indicate that the real death count for the US is likely 170k+.