~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Not that Trump has any control over this, but I don't really think there is going to be a distinct second wave at this point. I think we're going to see a continuation of the current trend in the US for a year or more, of steady infection and death, just at a reduced rate in some places.

Looking forward to not being able to travel internationally next year either due to no other country letting you in with a US passport or if you've been in the US recently. :dab:

Chechen strongman Ramzan Kadyrov 'hospitalised with suspected Covid-19'

Ramzan Kadyrov, the strongman leader of Chechnya, is in hospital in Moscow with coronavirus symptoms, Russian state news agencies said late on Thursday.

The news was reported by two Russian state news agencies, RIA Novosti and Tass, both citing a “source in medical circles”. If true, it would mark the most significant illness of a Russian official so far in the Covid-19 pandemic.

May Allah NOT be merciful upon him!

Why are Africa's coronavirus successes being overlooked? (The Guardian)

Take the two African countries I have called home – Senegal and Ghana. Senegal is developing a Covid-19 testing kit that would cost $1 per patient, which it is hoped will, in less than 10 minutes, detect both current or previous infection via antigens in saliva, or antibodies. It’s hard to know exactly how this compares with the price of Britain’s tests, but many of them use polymerase chain reaction, or PCR, to detect the virus, and cost hundreds of dollars. And I can testify that a leaflet that came through my door in London this week offered me a private testing kit for £250.

Senegal is in a good position because its Covid-19 response planning began in earnest in January, as soon as the first international alert on the virus went out. The government closed the borders, initiated a comprehensive plan of contact tracing and, because it is a nation of multiple-occupation households, offered a bed for every single coronavirus patient in either a hospital or a community health facility.

Ghana, with a population of 30 million, has a similar death toll to Senegal, partly because of an extensive system of contact tracing, utilising a large number of community health workers and volunteers, and other innovative techniques such as “pool testing”, in which multiple blood samples are tested and then followed up as individual tests only if a positive result is found. The advantages in this approach are now being studied by the World Health Organization.

The "pool testing" idea is absolutely brilliant!

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/21/trump-says-he-wont-close-the-country-if-second-wave-of-coronavirus-hits.html

President Donald Trump said "we are not closing our country" if the U.S. is hit by a second wave of coronavirus infections.

"People say that's a very distinct possibility, it's standard," Trump said when asked about a second wave during a tour of a Ford factory in Michigan.

"We are going to put out the fires. We're not going to close the country," Trump said. "We can put out the fires. Whether it is an ember or a flame, we are going to put it out. But we are not closing our country."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/21/germany-braced-for-more-protests-against-coronavirus-polices

Thousands of people are expected to gather in cities across Germany at the weekend to demonstrate against the government’s coronavirus policies.

Germany’s foreign minister has warned people to distance themselves from the growing movement, which includes radical extremists, conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers and antisemites, after domestic intelligence agents warned that extremist groups were exploiting fears around the virus in order to gain support.

“If radical extremists and antisemites use demonstrations in order to stoke hatred and to divide, then everyone should keep a lot more than just a 1.5-metre distance from them,” Heiko Maas said in an interview on Thursday.

“Those who spread conspiracy theories throughout the world, without a mask, without keeping the minimum distance, without any concern for others, are confusing courage with blind anger, and freedom with pure egotism,” he added.

So... from bad to worse? Coronavirus may be mutating

Chinese doctors are seeing the coronavirus manifest differently among patients in its new cluster of cases in the northeast region compared to the original outbreak in Wuhan, suggesting that the pathogen may be changing in unknown ways and complicating efforts to stamp it out.

Patients found in the northern provinces of Jilin and Heilongjiang appear to carry the virus for a longer period of time and take longer to test negative, Qiu Haibo, one of China’s top critical care doctors, told state television on Tuesday. Patients in the northeast also appear to be taking longer than the one to two weeks observed in Wuhan to develop symptoms after infection, and this delayed onset is making it harder for authorities to catch cases before they spread, said Qiu, who is now in the northern region treating patients.

Scientists still do not fully understand if the virus is changing in significant ways and the differences Chinese doctors are seeing could be due to the fact that they’re able to observe patients more thoroughly and from an earlier stage than in Wuhan. When the outbreak first exploded in the central Chinese city, the local health-care system was so overwhelmed that only the most serious cases were being treated. The northeast cluster is also far smaller than Hubei’s outbreak, which ultimately sickened over 68,000 people.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

She’s never seen kids in a pediatric ward. Many wear face masks, and if they have any breathing issues, it’s not the mask. They’d tell her to stop being a baby. 

I think little snowflake here needs a pill or some whine, because she seemed like she probably worked her self up over fucking NOTHING. 

On 5/21/2020 at 3:13 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

https://github.com/nychealth/coronavirus-data/blob/master/by-age.csv

and there's literally a folder named "deaths"

Looked at the data.  My impression was "if you don't test, you have no idea what the fuck is going on."  What do you see in the data?

Based on that link, the testing levels in NY state are criminally low IMHO.  Is healthcare a state or a federal responsibility in the US?  (I'm assuming federal, based on the Trump hatred in this thread.)

In Canada, our Premier is owning the fact that testing in Ontario is embarrassingly low.  However, our testing appears to be somewhere in the range of 10x of what NY is doing (as a % of hospitalizations/deaths or any other hard metric).

That said, almost all other jurisdictions (other than NY), are showing a significant death rate among those in the 80+ range (in Europe and NA) relative to younger people.  The fact that we're so focused on closing restaurants, yet are doing very little to protect the vulnerable in long-term care homes is disappointing.

35 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Jesus Christ. I guess we're just goin' full on fascist at this point? I don't know what else to say.

I thought Republicans and Conservatives were all about "State's Rights." Isn't that what the Civil War was about after all? Oh yeah and imagine if Obama yada yada yada...

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wait how are you a hero. Fuck, I don't even include cops or soldiers in that definition!

It’s because of these high school graduations I’ve been hosting at the drive in!