~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Bah, so we had a positive patient over weekend on my unit. I wasn’t here that night, but my coworkers who did work with the patient are testing positive. One just left sick earlier tonight and her rapid came back positive and I’ve worked with her the past two nights. 

Go to an open up rally with a sign "I got covid free hugs freedom maga open up!!!" Please 

Just 7.3% of Stockholm had Covid-19 antibodies by end of April, study shows (The Guardian)

Just 7.3% of Stockholm’s inhabitants had developed Covid-19 antibodies by the end of April, according to a study, raising concerns that the country’s light-touch approach to the coronavirus may not be building up broad immunity.

The research by Sweden’s public health agency comes as figures suggest the country’s death rate per capita has been the highest in Europe for the past seven days.

Sweden’s chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, said the antibodies figure was “a bit lower than we’d thought”, but added that it reflected the situation three weeks ago and by now “a little more than 20%” of Stockholm’s population had probably contracted the virus.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

While I do think those numbers are interesting, that guy writes for thefederalist and has an agenda, so fuck him.

Data is interesting. As we prepare for a second wave, we need to ensure we take appropriate measures targeted at protecting the most vulnerable. 

Why ignore NYC data, where the spread of the virus has been more widespread throughout the community and shows that a quarter of deaths and half of hospitalizations are under 65? You know, the age of parents and younger grandparents. Also curious why he looks only at age and not the elephant in the room that is statistics of the effects by race.

10 minutes ago, Jose said:

While I do think those numbers are interesting, that guy writes for thefederalist and has an agenda, so fuck him.

Huh, funny, this

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

We need to focus on more than just deaths when talking about coronavirus.  There have been reports that people have survived, but were left with possible permanent lung and/or heart damage.

It's ok we have a great health system where your care is guaranteed and no/low cost to the health care user at the point of use.

Has anyone posted this?

CDC says SARS-CoV-2 does not spread easily on surfaces, as originally thought

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has always warned that "it may be possible" to become infected with coronavirus by touching contaminated surfaces or objects.

It just "does not spread easily" in that manner, the agency now says, nor by animal-to-human contact, or vice versa.

“Many people were concerned that by simply touching an object they may get coronavirus, and that’s simply not the case. Even when a virus may stay on a surface, it doesn’t mean that it’s actually infectious,” Whyte was quoted.

“I think this new guideline helps people understand more about what does and doesn’t increase risk. It doesn’t mean we stop washing hands and disinfecting surfaces. But it does allow us to be practical and realistic as we try to return to a sense of normalcy."

The CDC still warns that the main way the virus is spread is through person-to-person contact, even among those who are not showing any symptoms.

So the main method of transmission is people breathing in recently-released droplets, it seems, or people passing droplets to each other via contact (and then contact with face).

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Bah, so we had a positive patient over weekend on my unit. I wasn’t here that night, but my coworkers who did work with the patient are testing positive. One just left sick earlier tonight and her rapid came back positive and I’ve worked with her the past two nights. 

Are you getting tested soon? I hope you and your husband can stay safe! 

On the flip side if you do come back positive, feel free to give some :hug: to a few MAGA/Open Up chuds :santasun:

Top HIV scientist says he wouldn't count on a vaccine for coronavirus soon (Reuters)

William Haseltine, a groundbreaking researcher of cancer, HIV/AIDS and human genome projects, said the better approach now is to manage the disease through careful tracing of infections and strict isolation measures whenever it starts spreading.

While a COVID-19 vaccine could be developed, he said, “I wouldn’t count on it.”

Vaccines developed previously for other types of coronavirus had failed to protect mucous membranes in the nose where the virus typically enters the body, he said.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Why ignore NYC data, where the spread of the virus has been more widespread throughout the community and shows that a quarter of deaths and half of hospitalizations are under 65? You know, the age of parents and younger grandparents. Also curious why he looks only at age and not the elephant in the room that is statistics of the effects by race.

Huh, funny, this

I'll show my location (Peel Region in Ontario Canada).  I don't know where the data is for NYC

Testing Data:

HOb19aGxJbxPuiKnptyy97O6yqqmmduOUzdudEI1

Hospitalizations and Deaths by Age

DYeBwdbx05sT4nbhD-5aohi1Hzmcf3J81wts30T7

What we did in the first wave didn't work.  It didn't protect those that were the most vulnerable.  What they haven't shared is the comorbidities of those that were hospitalized/died.  How many were immunocompromised?  Had previously smoked/vaped?  Had diabetes?  Had pulmonary issues/heart disease?

The shotgun approach was what we had to do without having data.  We now have data that should allow epidemiologists and health officials to create a Wave 2 plan that doesn't involve shutting down the entire fucking economy. 

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'll show my location (Peel Region in Ontario Canada).  I don't know where the data is for NYC

Testing Data:

What we did in the first wave didn't work.  It didn't protect those that were the most vulnerable.  What they haven't shared is the comorbidities of those that were hospitalized/died.  How many were immunocompromised?  Had previously smoked/vaped?  Had diabetes?  Had pulmonary issues/heart disease?

The shotgun approach was what we had to do without having data.  We now have data that should allow epidemiologists and health officials to create a Wave 2 plan that doesn't involve shutting down the entire fucking economy. 

It didn't work? Do you have any idea how many more vulnerable people would have died had we not done it?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Testing Data:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

https://github.com/nychealth/coronavirus-data

This allows the CDC to artificially inflate testing numbers, which accomplishes the following:

• Makes it seem like more viral testing is happening, when it is not
  • Lowers the % of "positive" tests since antibody testing is not targeted at people suspected of being sick

There is no reason to combine the two tests in one metric, as they serve different goals.

• Guillotine 1

22 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This allows the CDC to artificially inflate testing numbers, which accomplishes the following:

• Makes it seem like more viral testing is happening, when it is not
  • Lowers the % of "positive" tests since antibody testing is not targeted at people suspected of being sick

There is no reason to combine the two tests in one metric, as they serve different goals.

Just incredible.

Bad news in Alabama: ICU beds maxed out in capital of Montgomery

The mayor of Montgomery, Alabama, says the city’s health care system has been “maxed out” as cases of coronavirus have more than doubled in May—a sharp contrast to the slowing coronavirus spread that’s taken place across much of the U.S.—while city businesses were allowed to reopen May 11, even as it appeared that Alabama hadn’t hit White House reopening guidelines.

• Shocked 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5235317002

Though there is the possibility that coronavirus could be transmitted by touching a surface — and then your nose, mouth or eyes — the likelihood of that is lower than person-to-person contact, which is believed to be the primary way coronavirus is transmitted. 

"COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads," says the CDC's recently updated guidelines. 

Dr. Manisha Juthani, an infectious disease doctor and associate professor of medicine at Yale University, told USA TODAY that plenty of concern has been focused on packages and groceries during the coronavirus pandemic.

5 hours ago, chakoo said:

Are you getting tested soon? I hope you and your husband can stay safe! 

On the flip side if you do come back positive, feel free to give some :hug: to a few MAGA/Open Up chuds :santasun:

They won’t test unless we show symptoms. Hopefully I’ll be fine, but I’m not going to lose sleep worrying at this point. 

• Sad 1

Not that Trump has any control over this, but I don't really think there is going to be a distinct second wave at this point. I think we're going to see a continuation of the current trend in the US for a year or more, of steady infection and death, just at a reduced rate in some places.

Edit: This post on ERA made me laugh:

Later: "I never said I wouldn't close the country! No one has closed their country faster in the second wave than the USA!"