~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

10 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I see today is going well.

If the virus was very hard to detect and the US made a breakthrough and was the only place able to track it...then yes, this statement would maybe be valid. But the US has had the worst ability to test until recently due to being the only major nation to reject the WHO tests.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If the virus was very hard to detect and the US made a breakthrough and was the only place able to track it...then yes, this statement would maybe be valid. But the US has had the worst ability to test until recently due to being the only major nation to reject the WHO tests.

That actually has not been true for a while. We have been middle of the pack, where we should totally be one of the leaders, don't get me wrong, but not one of the worst by a longshot. 

My son's school is doing everything in their power to hold a full graduation including secret meetings setting up the ceremony so the county's Emergency Manager doesn't know what is going on. Needless to say my son will not be attending his own graduation (his choice as his mother is part of the high risk group). 

Fuck. Was already worried about seeing my girlfriend once she moved out from living alone and in with a friend at the end of June. Now her parents may have to come from London June 4 because there was a problem with her mom's green card renewal. So not getting to see her sooner than anticipated, and getting to have weeks of worrying about her health. 

• Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

Fuck. Was already worried about seeing my girlfriend once she moved out from living alone and in with a friend at the end of June. Now her parents may have to come from London June 4 because there was a problem with her mom's green card renewal. So not getting to see her sooner than anticipated, and getting to have weeks of worrying about her health. 

This is a little much no? Does she have a pre-existing condition?

16 minutes ago, Jose said:

This is a little much no? Does she have a pre-existing condition?

No, but she'll be in  a two-bedrrom apartment with her parents after they've been on a plane for 10 hours. It's not like it's a big house where they can at least stay on separate sides of the house. How is that not worrisome?

And I'm on an immunosuppressant drug for my colitis.

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

No, but she'll be in  a two-bedrrom apartment with her parents after they've been on a plane for 10 hours. It's not like it's a big house where they can at least stay on separate sides of the house. How is that not worrisome?

And I'm on an immunosuppressant drug for my colitis.

Yeah the plane thing is the risky part as most airlines are still packing flights. I need to come back to LA for a but I can't afford to quarantine for two weeks on either side of the trip.

Looks like Florida has given the go-ahead to Tampa Bay Comic-Con in July.

Assuming it's like most Cons and is crammed with people shoulder-to-shoulder, there is the opportunity for massive spread just from the re-circulated air. Masks aren't even listed on their list of safety precautions (not that they would do much in that crowded an environment). 

They will be doing temperature screening...but from what I understand, fever is one of the less-likely symptoms, especially for otherwise non-symptomatic people.

• Sad 1

I recently found out my climbing gym’s ventilation is capable of filtering viral-level particles, so it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of indoor venues have similar set ups (case in point, was that CPAC exposure ever pinned as a super spreading event?) Obviously not a game changer, but any little thing to curtail the risk helps. 

25 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I recently found out my climbing gym’s ventilation is capable of filtering viral-level particles, so it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of indoor venues have similar set ups (case in point, was that CPAC exposure ever pinned as a super spreading event?) Obviously not a game changer, but any little thing to curtail the risk helps.

My gym is close to the beach so they don't have a ventilation system, they just have huge windows (big sliding doors, really) at the front of the building and some fans throughout the place. But they only have minimal window coverage on the other side of the building so I'm kind of dubious as to whether they get enough airflow to mitigate the fact that they don't have a ventilation system.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Bro you know people are taking dumps and getting on that wall without hand washing.

Two Coasts. One Virus. How New York Suffered Nearly 10 Times the Number of Deaths as California (ProPublica)

By March 14, London Breed, the mayor of San Francisco, had seen enough. For weeks, she and her health officials had looked at data showing the evolving threat of COVID-19. In response, she’d issued a series of orders limiting the size of public gatherings, each one feeling more arbitrary than the last. She’d been persuaded that her city’s considerable and highly regarded health care system might be insufficient for the looming onslaught of infection and death.

“We need to shut this shit down,” Breed remembered thinking.

Three days later in New York, Mayor Bill de Blasio was thinking much the same thing. He’d been publicly savaged for days for not closing the city’s school system, and even his own Health Department was in revolt at his inaction. And so, having at last been convinced every hour of delay was a potentially deadly misstep, de Blasio said it was time to consider a shelter-in-place order. Under it, he said, it might be that only emergency workers such as police officers and health care providers would be allowed free movement.

“I think it’s gotten to a place,” de Blasio said at a news conference, “where the decision has to be made very soon.”

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Looks like Florida has given the go-ahead to Tampa Bay Comic-Con in July.

Assuming it's like most Cons and is crammed with people shoulder-to-shoulder, there is the opportunity for massive spread just from the re-circulated air. Masks aren't even listed on their list of safety precautions (not that they would do much in that crowded an environment). 

They will be doing temperature screening...but from what I understand, fever is one of the less-likely symptoms, especially for otherwise non-symptomatic people.

I was at C2E2 in Chicago the last weekend of February when there were a smattering of confirmed cases in the city that were all imported from China. They were doing airport-style security checks to get into the badge registration that look like half an hour to get through, at least. Even at that point, I was sort of mildly uncomfortable being in those lines. Attendance is going to be way down at that thing if they go ahead with it.

They'll probably some good cosplay of characters that wear masks though.