~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

6 hours ago, Iculus said:

The Rs would just "Weekend at Bernie's" his ass because no one gives a shit anymore. Fox news would just play old rally footage on Hannity every night, and his mouth breathing supporters would go on believing all is well.

Hannity: There's NOTHING in the constitution that says the President has to be alive.

Cases of new viral respiratory illness rise sharply in China

The number of new cases has risen sharply in China, the centre of the outbreak. There were 470 confirmed cases as of Wednesday, said Li Bin, deputy director of the National Health Commission. Nine people have died, all in Hubei province, since the outbreak emerged in its provincial capital of Wuhan late last month.

'You could literally go around the Earth' before symptoms start: Screening for new coronavirus

The first U.S. patient illustrates one of the weaknesses of airport screening — the man in his 30s did not have symptoms when he arrived and was in good condition, so he wouldn't be picked up in a check for fever.

Rather, when the man started feeling ill, he went to a doctor, with a fever and cough. Lab tests confirmed the infection and he was put into isolation for monitoring.

Dr. Kamran Khan, an infectious disease physician in Toronto, said there's a time between when people are infected and when they develop symptoms — the incubation period. For coronaviruses in general, such as those that can cause the common cold, the incubation period is typically five or six days.

With coronaviruses such as SARS and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, MERS, the incubation period can extend to two weeks.

"You can imagine if an individual is infected and they get on a plane and it could be up to two weeks before they manifest symptoms. In today's world you could literally go around the Earth before you start to develop illness," said Khan, founder and CEO of BlueDot, a digital health company that helps predict the spread of infectious diseases globally.

"We need to kind of think about that in the context of how airport screening works. The value of airport screening and engagement with travellers, if you will, is more about giving them the information they need so that if they do become sick after they've left the airport they know what to do."

Tam called the airport measures one layer of protection on top of alerting health systems to be on the lookout for travellers who may be infected.

Otherwise, health officials are stressing precautions for travellers to  prevent the infection while in China, such as staying away from animal markets, washing hands, observing cough hygiene, not contacting sick people and telling health-care providers about their travel if flu-like symptoms occur.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My wife has worked with BlueDot in the passed. They accidentally shared classified information with the team, which they then had to self report. Bunch of wankers...

There are now some rumblings that this may not be new. Apparently China opened the most sophisticated disease lab in the region last year. So there is a possibility that they just recently gained the ability to detect it. We shall see I suppose. Also the first recorded case was 12/3, but China didn't release a statement until 12/31. Oops!

1 hour ago, Iculus said:

There are now some rumblings that this may not be new. Apparently China opened the most sophisticated disease lab in the region last year. So there is a possibility that they just recently gained the ability to detect it. We shall see I suppose. Also the first recorded case was 12/3, but China didn't release a statement until 12/31. Oops!

From what I saw last night this disease existed in 2002 or something but China kept it secret. They were a lot more forthcoming this time.

Wuhan’s 11 Million People Face Quarantine as Virus Fears Spread

The Chinese city of Wuhan, the seventh largest in the country with approximately 11 million people, will be under a partial quarantine from 10 a.m. Chinese time Thursday, according to a newly issued government notice. Flights, long-haul buses, and trains from the city, which is a critical transport hub for central China, have been canceled, and residents have been told not to travel without special reason. The coronavirus that emerged in the city has been spreading with frightening speed, with the number of cases shooting up over the weekend and at least 17 people now dead.

Wuhan: Virus-hit Chinese city to shut public transport

Those living in the city have been advised not to leave, in a week when millions of Chinese are travelling for the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday.

The airport and train stations will be closed to outgoing passengers.

Bus, subway, ferry, and long-distance transport networks will shut down from 1000 local time on 23 January.

China locks down 2 cities to try and stop spread of deadly virus

Police, SWAT teams and paramilitary troops guarded Wuhan's train station as last-minute travellers arrived, only those holding tickets for the last trains allowed to enter. At exactly 10 a.m. local time, metal barriers blocked entrances while helpless would-be travellers were turned away, with some complaining they had nowhere to go.

On Thursday, Huanggang city, which borders Wuhan, became the second Chinese city to go into lockdown over the coronavirus outbreak, with health officials saying they would suspend public bus and railway operations from midnight local time.

Authorities in the city of around 7.5 million also ordered indoor entertainment venues including movie theatres and internet cafes to shut, and asked citizens not to leave the city other than under special circumstances.

Dr. David Heymann, who headed WHO's global response to SARS in 2003, said the new virus appears dangerous for older people with other health conditions, but doesn't seem nearly as infectious as SARS.

Other reports suggest the likely source of the virus is from the illegal selling of live snakes at the Wuhan market.

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Depends on the mortality rate. Do we have solid info on the demographics of the dead in China yet? If they are all very old or very young then things will be better than if they were in their 30s.

The median age of the 18 comfirmed fatalities so far is 75, many with underlying medical conditions.

13 minutes ago, elbobo said:

so it is the flu with an advertising campaign 

It appears to be more contagious, but yes. There are already reports of 2nd and 3rd generation human to human infections. This is bad because it's more communicable than originally thought. It doesn't appear to have mutated. So we have that going forjedi us.

Edit - Don't ask me to explain any of this because I have zero idea. My wife has a PhD, and I work at target lol

6 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Edit - Don't ask me to explain any of this because I have zero idea. My wife has a PhD, and I work at target lol

Congrats on marrying up!

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Congrats on marrying up!

we started dating her freshman year, and then she stayed in school for 10 more years. The original plan was for me to work while she was in school and then I would go to school when she was finished. She never finished lol

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Thank god Lopez doesn't still post here or he'd be using these leaks for his own career.

I've only been told one thing that I wasn't allowed to share, and it isn't even relevant anymore. I just happen to be married to the lead CDC modeler working this outbreak, so I get breaking news in real time. lol

Edit - it would also be risky to publish any of this without vetting it first. There are currently a lot of moving parts. All of these groups are currently collaborating without much organization because of the WHO's reluctance to call this a PHEIC.

4 minutes ago, Iculus said:

I've only been told one thing that I wasn't allowed to share, and it isn't even relevant anymore. I just happen to be married to the lead CDC modeler working this outbreak, so I get breaking news in real time. lol

Has that possible case at Tennessee Technological University in Tennessee come up? Last I heard (last night), there was a student being tested for it. So far, no confirmation. I would imagine that there's a CDC team on the scene running tests, or at least a remote team working with docs there at the Uni to run the right tests. 

EDIT: TTU was my alma mater!

Just now, CayceG said:

Has that possible case at Tennessee Technological University in Tennessee come up? Last I heard (last night), there was a student being tested for it. So far, no confirmation. I would imagine that there's a CDC team on the scene running tests, or at least a remote team working with docs there at the Uni to run the right tests. 

EDIT: TTU was my alma mater!

All that I know is that there are 12 more potential cases waiting to be tested that have a high likelihood of being positive. If I hear anything more specific I'll pass it on.