~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

You really don't have to worry yourself buddy, you will in all likelihood be fine.

This whole pandemic has got me acting all paranoid and anxious (well, more so than usual).  True, even before this, I was largely introverted and didn't leave the house much except when necessary, but at least then I had the opportunity to go outside.  And since I moved into my own apartment last year, I've been at least trying to talk to strangers when i go to a bar to watch sports or something.

I was also saving up and planning to go on vacation at the end of June.  I haven't taken any time off from my current job since I got it over a year ago, with the exception of holidays.  I was really looking forward to it, but now, who knows if I can even do that?  Will this virus still be around?  Will we all still be stuck at home this entire summer, aka the time of the year I enjoy going outside?

I know I dont have it worse than others.  I'm fortunate that not only can I work form home, but I've also done it a few times in the past, so I haven't really skipped a beat there.  I know people who have lost their jobs or small business.  But still...

And the worst part?  No one in this country is going to learn a fucking thing from this.  As long as the stock market stays high and the virus goes away before the election, American voters will assume all is well and re-elect Trump, who will proceed to gloat about how great of a job he did fighting the corona Chinese virus and that Sleepy Joe would have made a fool of himself if he were in charge, and go ahead and cut funding from WHO and CDC since he clearly knows better than the "experts".

And then Wave 2 of the virus will come along next winter, and we'll be even less prepared, and we'll be back to square zero.

Fuck, man.  Just...fuck.

9 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

And then Wave 2 of the virus will come along next winter, and we'll be even less prepared, and we'll be back to square zero.

This won’t be the case, even simply at the state and local levels.

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Your regularly scheduled reminder that Shaun King is as black as Rachel Dolezal, but also with a penchant for fraudulent fundraising.

I'm not a fan of the guy but honestly this is the first time I've heard his racial identity questioned so I did some quick research. Here's a good Vox article detailing the whole drama and it's worth noting that Breitbart was the first outlet to question his racial identity although CNN's Don Lemon seems to have done some investigating as well. That said would it surprise me that he is fraudulently profiting off of some controversy? NOPE.

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/19/9180389/the-shaun-king-controversy-explained

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I've never followed this guy much, he seems like a bit of a twat. Does he actually identify as black?

I'm definitely not a fan of his at all and recently unfollowed him Twitter... he definitely seems unhinged and disingenuous, but I never questioned his racial identity. He seemed like a light skinned or bi-racial black dude to me. Two of best my friends look similar to him... neither is bi-racial and both have two black parents. Dudes that look like Shaun King are not uncommon in the black community especially in the midwest and the South where there has been a lot of interracial hanky panky going on historically.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not a fan of the guy but honestly this is the first time I've heard his racial identity questioned so I did some quick research. Here's a good Vox article detailing the whole drama and it's worth noting that Breitbart was the first outlet to question his racial identity although CNN's Don Lemon seems to have done some investigating as well. That said would it surprise me that he as fraudulently profiting off of some controversy? NOPE.

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/19/9180389/the-shaun-king-controversy-explained

I'm definitely not a fan of his at all and recently unfollowed him Twitter... he definitely seems unhinged and disingenuous, but I never questioned his racial identity. He seemed like a light skinned or bi-racial black dude to me. Two of best friends look similar to him... neither is bi-racial and both have two black parents. Dudes that look like Shaun King or not uncommon in the black community especially in the midwest and the South where there has been a lot of interracial hanly panky going on historically.

Okay, I really didn’t know much about him except I’ve read some really dumb shit he’s written. His looks are a bit ambiguous, so I didn’t know how he identified or really ever gave it much thought. Just didn’t know why sblfilms went down that particular road. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Okay, I really didn’t know much about him except I’ve read some really dumb shit he’s written. His looks are a bit ambiguous, so I didn’t know how he identified or really ever gave it much thought. Just didn’t know why sblfilms went down that particular road. 

He's written A LOT of dumb shit... I have no idea how he became so prominent.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's a shitty feel to say the least. We're secure for now, but since the overall census has dropped, oversight into daily staffing is ridiculousssss.

Unrelated: I'm hoping today is an outlier, but it was the first time in a month where afternoon traffic was quite noticeable... :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Here's a List of EPA approved disinfectants to use against the Novel Coronavirus in case you can't find Lysol or Clorox there are other alternatives.

The federal agency released a five-page list of chemicals and products Thursday that it says are strong enough to ward off "harder-to-kill" viruses than SARS-CoV-2, the virus that's responsible for the disease. "Using the correct disinfectant is an important part of preventing and reducing the spread of illnesses along with other critical aspects such as hand washing," EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said in a statement.

This bit I found interesting...

One important fact to note, however: handwashing with soap and water is still the best way to prevent transmission of the virus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That's because from what we know so far, the novel coronavirus is thought to spread primarily by people and their respiratory droplets -- think coughs, sneezes, spit. In other words, person-to-person transmission is most common. While it's possible that people who touch surfaces or objects contaminated with the virus and then touch their mouths or eyes can also become infected, this may not be the main way the virus spreads, the CDC said. So disinfectant wipes can only go so far.

For a more humorous look at this: I’m talking to at LEAST 20 different women on a few dating apps and have made plans to meet up with all of them when this is all over.

There’s a 99.99999999999% they’ve done the same. Everyone is getting the clap when this is all over.

• Haha 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/world/coronavirus-news.amp.html

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide has surged past 1.5 million, according to data collected by The New York Times and Johns Hopkins University, and the death toll looked set to pass a grim milestone. As of Friday morning, at least 95,000 people had died worldwide, moving steadily closer to 100,000 fatalities, with the virus detected in at least 177 countries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/us/coronavirus-us-news.amp.html

The virus is sickening workers at chicken and beef processing plants, and 799 New Yorkers were killed — a single-day record for the state.

As millions more Americans lose their jobs, more federal aid is uncertain.

The harsh economic toll of the social distancing measures put in place to curb the spread of the pandemic was underscored on Thursday when the Labor Department reported that another 6.6 million people had filed for unemployment benefits last week.

That brought the number of Americans who had lost their jobs over the past three weeks to more than 16 million, which is more job losses than the most recent recession produced over two years. The dire figures suggested that Washington’s recent $2 trillion relief package was not working quickly enough to halt the economic devastation and the hemorrhaging of jobs in nearly every type of industry.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/us/Coronavirus-Alexa-ask-for-help.amp.html

Lou Ann Dagen, 66, was one of six residents who died from the virus at one nursing home outside Grand Rapids, Mich., a spokesman for the center said.

They lived about 20 minutes apart in Michigan, but when a cousin gave the sisters Lou Ann Dagen and Penny Dagen each an Amazon Echo Show last year to make video calls, they would keep each other company for hours on end.

The virtual assistant Alexa connected them during meals and discussions about what was on television.

“I think she just wanted to know that I was there,” Penny Dagen, 74, said of her sister, who lived in a nursing home.

And when Lou Ann Dagen, 66, became gravely ill with Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, she turned once again to Alexa, Penny Dagen said in an interview on Thursday.

Ms. Dagen discovered voice recordings of her sister pleading with Alexa to intervene as her health worsened. She said she found the recordings on Monday, two days after Lou Ann Dagen died of complications from the virus.

“‘How do I get help?’” her sister asked in the recording. “‘How do I get to the police?’”

Lou Ann Dagen was one of six residents of the nursing home, Metron of Cedar Springs, who died after being stricken with the virus, a spokesman for the center confirmed. Thirty-one residents and five staff members at the nursing home, which is about 20 miles north of Grand Rapids, Mich., have tested positive for the virus, according to the nursing home.

• Sad 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/04/08/congress-coronavirus-package-174677

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is daring Senate Democrats to block $250 billion in funding for small businesses over their demands for more money for hospitals and local governments, announcing on Wednesday evening that he will force the issue on the Senate floor on Thursday morning.

The move is a challenge to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and his members. With Congress on a lengthy recess, Schumer and the Democrats have tremendous sway and can choose to block McConnell's money for small business by objecting to the majority leader’s move if they want to stop the bill and insist their priorities of $250 billion for hospitals and local governments are included. Democratic sources said on Wednesday night they expected the party was planning to block McConnell's bill and insist on a better deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/federalnewsnetwork.com/pay/2020/04/senate-democrats-propose-pandemic-pay-bumps-for-frontline-feds/amp/

Senate Democrats are proposing $25,000 pandemic premium payments for federal employees working on the front lines of the coronavirus response.

The recommendation is part of a broader package to provide lump sum payments to essential frontline employees working through the pandemic in both the public and private sectors.

According to the proposal, essential frontline workers would receive $13 an hour in premium pay on top of their regular wages. These premium payments would cover all hours worked from the beginning of the public health crisis through the end of 2020.

Pandemic payments would be capped at $25,000 for essential employees earning less than $200,000 a year. Essential employees earning $200,000 or more a year would receive a maximum pandemic payment of $5,000.

4 hours ago, MarSolo said:

For a more humorous look at this: I’m talking to at LEAST 20 different women on a few dating apps and have made plans to meet up with all of them when this is all over.

There’s a 99.99999999999% they’ve done the same. Everyone is getting the clap when this is all over.

The coronababies will replace the corona deaths?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/10/great-apes-in-africa-on-lockdown-amid-coronavirus-threat/amp/

The great apes have been put on lockdown as conservationists worldwide fear that humans’ closest living relatives might also be susceptible to the coronavirus.

National parks and sanctuaries across Africa have closed to the public and to researchers after recommendations from leading experts who had already recommended social distancing measures be taken to protect the apes from the virus, according to the BBC.

“We don’t know if it’s infected mountain gorillas; we have not seen any evidence of that,” Dr. Kirsten Gilardi, the chief veterinary officer for Gorilla Doctors, told the outlet.

“But because mountain gorillas are susceptible to human pathogens, we know that they can develop respiratory illness.”

The recommendation comes after a tiger tested positive for COVID-19 at the Bronx Zoo on Sunday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/10/japan-sees-sudden-spike-in-positive-coronavirus-cases/amp/

Japan has reported a sudden spike in coronavirus cases, a week after rescheduling the Tokyo Olympics.

The country reported 500 new positive coronavirus cases on Thursday, bringing the total of infected to 5,500 – not including the 712 cases linked back to the Diamond Princess cruise – with over 100 deaths, according to ABC News.

The surge comes two days after the Japanese government declared a state of emergency, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe signing a one-month stay at home order for Tokyo and six other districts.

Japanese officials have linked the recent increase in cases to people traveling into the country from abroad, while also admitting that some infections have been untraceable, according to the outlet.

But the sudden spike has led to speculation that the government had been underreporting cases, with some telling the outlet they believed the government wanted to keep the numbers low to avoid cancelling the Olympics.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN21S0J8

The huge cost of the coronavirus pandemic is upending Japan's seven-year experiment to rescue the economy from its debt timebomb, as recession fears prompt calls for "helicopter money" - unlimited spending bankrolled by the central bank.

Days after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe launched a nearly $1 trillion stimulus package to battle the pandemic's financial fallout, some ruling party lawmakers are calling for even bigger spending.

Already, the government plans to boost bond issuance to a five-year high of 147 trillion yen ($1.35 trillion), or 30% of the size of Japan's economy, to pay for the stimulus.

India struggles to contain coronavirus, enforce lockdown in sprawling city slums

The local government says it has been able to quarantine more than 24,000 people to stem the outbreak, but officials privately acknowledge they face a daunting task in the slums.

“In housing societies, we need to trace a dozen people, but in slums we must find hundreds,” said one official with the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has imposed a nationwide lockdown until April 14, saying it is the only way to avoid a catastrophe in India, where the public health system is weak.

But while police patrolled main roads on Thursday, food markets deep in Dharavi were open and humming, according to a Reuters photographer.

“The police charge at anyone who tries to venture out with sticks, but that has no effect,” said bank employee Ajay Kewat in Dharavi.

Yashwant Pandey, a police inspector, said it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep people inside.

“Sometimes they get angry when we tell them to go indoors and they threaten to start a protest,” he said.

While many slum residents say they approve of the lockdown, they also said they were struggling to stay inside hot, cramped single-room slums and were worried about the economic toll.