~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

16 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Good read on what it's like to be a minimum wage "essential" worker.

I was going through much the same thing for weeks, but I finally told them on Monday I wasn't coming in for a month or two. Even though with my heart condition I am probably considered high risk myself, it's mostly due to worrying about infecting my sister or mother, who are both even higher risk than me. Not worth the risk.

Both of these are spot on.

Pretty much the first time in my life I've had the issue of the skin on my hands cracking and bleeding. I would get days off, they'd get better, and then wrecked when I worked again. Kind of funny thing I did to myself. Because I've never really had that happen to my hands before I did something to fuck up my hand before I even knew what I was doing. When I am watching TV or distracted I guess I have a habit of rubbing the stubble on my chin with the back of my hand. I was really distracted watching TV and realized after a looooong time, "Fuck, that hurts" look down and realize I have given myself what looks like about four dozen little paper cuts on my knuckles and back of my hand. 

I have kind of experienced this too. 

I know it sucks for the many, many people who have been laid off or fired, but it's kind of a fucked up opposite for some low wage, "essential" workers. Either work and take the risk, or quit and get nothing.

I COULD be wrong, but I think you CAN claim unemployment if you leave a high risk job especially in your case because you have a heart condition. I were you I would give it a try. I was in asimilar position because I'm staying with my parents and I was working in NY which was kind of risky with me taking the bus and the train into the city. Two weeks ago I told them to take me off the schedule because my parents were concerned with me infecting them. They were cool about it and even continued to pay me for the days I didn't work despite the fact that I'm technically an independent contractor with them. That said, I'm heading back into work tomorrow night... I'll be driving into the city rather than catching the bus which will dramatically minimize my risk. I empathize man, but you may be able to collect unemployment depending on what state you're in.

21 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Is the board acting up for anyone else or is it just me? 

My power/internet is whigging out a bit because of thunderstorms right now....

You know you can delete double posts yourself if you click on that thing that says Options :p

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/tasneemnashrulla/chicago-coronavirus-cluster-super-spreading-event

In February, a Chicago man hugged members of a grieving family at a funeral and shared meals with them. A few days later, he attended a birthday party, where he hugged and shared food with members of another family.

With these friendly gestures at family gatherings, the man — who later tested positive for COVID-19 — unwittingly infected as many as 15 other people with the virus before social distancing measures were implemented in Illinois and other states in the US.

Three of those people died of the virus.

The chain of transmission triggered by the man — who had had mild respiratory symptoms at the time he attended the funeral and party — was detailed in a report released by the CDC on Wednesday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1179711

A Reno, Nevada, man is accused of stealing around 200 surgical masks from a Veterans Affairs medical center last month, prosecutors said.

Peter Lucas, 35, of Reno stole at least four boxes of masks — each containing 50 masks — from the Ioannis A. Lougaris VA Medical Center from March 19 to March 23, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Nevada said in a statement.

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I COULD be wrong, but I think you CAN claim unemployment if you leave a high risk job especially in your case because you have a heart condition. I were you I would give it a try. I was in asimilar position because I'm staying with my parents and I was working in NY which was kind of risky with me taking the bus and the train into the city. Two weeks ago I told them to take me off the schedule because my parents were concerned with me infecting them. They were cool about it and even continued to pay me for the days I didn't work despite the fact that I'm technically an independent contractor with them. That said, I'm heading back into work tomorrow night... I'll be driving into the city rather than catching the bus which will dramatically minimize my risk. I empathize man, but you may be able to collect unemployment depending on what state you're in.

Yeah, I've thought about looking into it. Most of what I have heard is basically what you said...."Errr, maybe?".

14 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

A good friend of mine posted that she and her family had to take refuge in a storm shelter due to the weather.  And they're in a neighborhood that has confirmed and active coronavirus cases.

Fuck.

I had some tornado warnings in my area. Had some high winds, rain, and a lot of lightning rip through pretty quickly a couple hours ago. Alwaus fun to try to convince three cats theu need to stay in cages in the scary basement when all they wanna do is hide under the bed.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You know you can delete double posts yourself if you click on that thing that says Options :p

Thank you, I actually didn't know that was an option. I am probably years behind on this. Last I heard only mods could delete posts and if you wanted to fix a double post you had to just edit in a "sorry, double post" message.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/veteran-trucker-describes-chaos-after-coronavirus-123226401.html#scso=_XJ-OXsN5lOX6BMXMg_gD7:1237

As people across the U.S. shelter in place to contain the novel coronavirus, the nation’s truck drivers continue to traverse the country, transporting goods — but the landscape they’re experiencing is radically different post-virus.

“Everything just changed so drastically where we're showing up to facilities and they're checking our temperature,” truck driver Josh Rickards told Yahoo Finance’s “On The Move” this week.

Rickards, who’s been driving a big rig for 15 years, said he’s never seen anything like what he’s witnessed during the coronavirus pandemic. He owns a fleet of three trucks and described how panic buying of items like toilet paper looked like from his perspective, as customers wiped out supermarket shelves “seemingly overnight.”

“I've seen on the news people rushing to buy toilet paper. And in the area that I was in at the time, as I was watching that, I was watching load counts spike, and it was just, overnight, thousands and thousands and thousands of loads,” he said. “And the next morning my phone was getting phone calls off the hook from brokers. Can you cover this load? Can you cover this load? Can you cover this load? And it was just out of nowhere. It was like chaos on our side of the fence.”

The shippers and receivers he deals with are fearful. Some facilities he visited are going out of their way to avoid drivers, posting information on the intercom window so they don't interact directly, while others leave paperwork for him outside. He's even had to complete health forms at some warehouses. 

“I even saw a facility — I won't mention their name — but they put up on a piece of paper [with] a phone number to text,” he said. “And you would text that phone number, and then they would text you what door to take the truck to, and then they would text you when you were done, and then they would text you where the paperwork was.”

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Lol my dad has a total bro-crush on Chris Cuomo for some reason. He was telling me how today how Andrew Cuomo has done such a great job. I didn’t really argue the point cuz tbqh I’m just glad my dads not watching some Fox News garbage. 

Revised coronavirus model predicts fewer deaths, but tens of thousands in US still expected to die by August

An influential model tracking the coronavirus pandemic in the United States now predicts that fewer people will die and fewer hospital beds will be needed compared to its estimates from last week.

As of Wednesday, the model predicted the virus will kill 60,000 people in the United States over the next four months. That's about 33,000 fewer deaths than the model estimated last Thursday.

While the US is still expected to face a shortage of about 16,000 hospital beds, it will need 168,000 fewer beds than previously expected, according to the new analysis.

New data on the pandemic's trajectory -- from the United States and around the world -- has been fed into the model almost every day, driving the changes. And the downward adjustment suggests that social distancing may be working better than expected in some places.

Infect me if old. I had 10 pages to catch up on so I skimmed. :p 

Coronavirus: EU could fail over outbreak, warns Italy's Giuseppe Conte

Giuseppe Conte says the EU must act in an adequate and co-ordinated way to help countries worst hit by the virus.

Mr Conte says the European Union needs to rise to the challenge of what he calls "the biggest test since the Second World War".

This was his first interview with the UK broadcast media since the pandemic exploded in Italy seven weeks ago.

He was speaking as Italy and some other EU countries try to push more frugal members of the bloc to issue so-called "corona bonds" - sharing debt that all EU nations would help to pay off. The Netherlands in particular has opposed the idea, leading to a clash between finance ministers of the eurozone

Coronavirus could turn back the clock 30 years on global poverty

Half a billion people could be pushed into poverty as economies around the world shrink because of the coronavirus outbreak, a new study has warned.

Poverty levels in developing countries could be set back by up to 30 years, research released by the United Nations University’s World Institute for Development Economics Research warned on Thursday.

“The impact will be quite devastating,” said co-author Andy Sumner, international development professor at King’s College London, who warned of a “poverty tsunami”.

“Covid could lead to a very large increase in global poverty, in fact it could send the world back 10 years and could send some regions back 30 years,” said Sumner.

Coronavirus could push half a billion people into poverty, Oxfam warns

More than half a billion more people could be pushed into poverty unless urgent action is taken to bail out poor countries affected by the economic fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic, Oxfam has warned.

Ahead of three key international meetings next week, the charity said the impact of shutting down economies to prevent the virus spreading risked setting back the fight against poverty by a decade globally – and by 30 years in the hardest-pressed countries of sub-Saharan Africa, north Africa and the Middle East.

Coronavirus could double number of people going hungry

Food supplies across the world will be “massively disrupted” by the coronavirus, and unless governments act the number of people suffering chronic hunger could double, some of the world’s biggest food companies have warned.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Canadian approval ratings of Trudeau (and most of the Premiers) remains high.  Given some of the missteps in handling, it will be interesting to see how high this remains as the shutdown continues, and the Federal NDP/Conservatives can highlight the issues.

Definitely a tricky issue. If a person totally bungles the handling of a crisis (Trump), you can make political gains by jumping on it. But if a leader is seen to generally have done a good job (like Trudeau so far), if you start criticizing then it makes you look petty. While the Liberals have done a good job, I think, there are legit criticisms of their handling. I give some credit to the NDP for forcing the Liberals to correct some of their earlier mistakes re: CERB. Scheer has been a total loser in all of this, as has Peter MacKay (though he will still likely end up as CPC leader).

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Definitely a tricky issue. If a person totally bungles the handling of a crisis (Trump), you can make political gains by jumping on it. But if a leader is seen to generally have done a good job (like Trudeau so far), if you start criticizing then it makes you look petty. While the Liberals have done a good job, I think, there are legit criticisms of their handling. I give some credit to the NDP for forcing the Liberals to correct some of their earlier mistakes re: CERB. Scheer has been a total loser in all of this, as has Peter MacKay (though he will still likely end up as CPC leader).

CPC has already shown how petty they are. They tried to make a stink again about carbon tax during this all and it fell flat. They tried to play that they were at the forefront of pushing for benefits for canadians in parliament when it came out they were the lone party holding everything up over non important issues and were called out for it.

Canadian government has released their models...and it's not good: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/using-data-modelling-inform-eng.pdf

Under a best-case scenario (2.5-5% infection rate) Canada will experience 11,000 dead to 22,000 dead. Under the worst-case, 300,000+ dead (80% infection).

Basically the government is saying that the pandemic will keep on chugging until we reach 80% immunity, one way or another, it's just a matter of delay (to get vaccine). The best-case scenario is one where the current restrictions stay in place, which is probably not realistic, unfortunately.

J5WdAXB.png

ZAvEZRn.png

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Canadian Thread of Peace, Order, and Good Government (Canada's version of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness").

"The Canadian Thread of Peace, Order, and Good Government (Yes the grass is actually greener)

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Basically the government is saying that the pandemic will keep on chugging until we reach 80% immunity, one way or another, it's just a matter of delay (to get vaccine). The best-case scenario is one where the current restrictions stay in place, which is probably not realistic, unfortunately.

Luckily we're probably in the best position to solve that before others since labs here were able to get the ball rolling in January and I think a kingston lab was nearing trials for it.

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

Luckily we're probably in the best position to solve that before others since labs here were able to get the ball rolling in January and I think a kingston lab was nearing trials for it.

UofS also has a lab working on a vaccine. It will be interesting to see how much they fast-track the testing.