~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I feel like for this to be plausible for everyone (ie: those who cannot afford masks) that stores should be provided masks to hand to customers as they walk in. I’m able to get things that are acceptable, but I don’t believe that’s the case for every NJ citizen.

If you have a shirt or rag, you can make a face covering pretty easily. Would probably be a good idea to also provide point of use masks as we move along.

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

It's a gamble either way.  The thing is, most businesses--and in turn most people's jobs--probably can't survive a longer shutdown.

By erring on the side of a shorter-length lockdown, you're gambling that even if it makes the deceleration of infection take longer, or makes it go in reverse for a little while, it will nonetheless remain at a tolerable level--i.e., one that won't overwhelm the health system--and you'll save thousands upon thousands of businesses from going under and thousands upon thousands of jobs.  If you lose this gamble, the rate of infection (and consequently the virus' death rate) will come roaring back, and you'll likely be forced into another, even more economically destructive shutdown later down the road.  If you win, you've saved probably a good one-third of the population from being pointlessly immiserated, at a minimal cost to the public health.

By erring on the side of a longer lockdown, you're gambling that your country can politically handle a depression that will likely be unprecedented in scale and severity, in return for a stronger guarantee that the infection rate subsides.  If you lose this gamble, you could easily see civil unrest unlike anything we've seen before.  If you win, you've avoided an Italy-on-steroids situation which would have been worse than the economic depression you have to endure.

I understand your position, but I also understand why many people--and not just the political elites--would rather go with gamble #1.

If I was in a policy-making position, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to err on the side of Option 1. 

The overall downside risks involved Option 2 are simply far too severe in terms of potential for social catastrophe.

And you know who would is absolutely licking their chops in anticipation of such a catastrophe?  The populist right/fascists.  In light of that, the risks entailed by Option 1 are well worth enduring.

Do we have any data on what this “peak” is supposed to look like? Yesterday we had 1,900 deaths, today we’re already at 1,600.

Apparently the peak will be this Sunday, but does that mean we see a noticeable reduction on Monday? Do we “peak” for a few days? A week?

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

Do we have any data on what this “peak” is supposed to look like? Yesterday we had 1,900 deaths, today we’re already at 1,600.

Apparently the peak will be this Sunday, but does that mean we see a noticeable reduction on Monday? Do we “peak” for a few days? A week?

Going by Italy and Spain, the "peak" is more akin to an "elevated plateau" that will last for several days.

4 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

It's impossible to know, really. Eventually, enough of us will die that it makes it difficult to spread it to others. Silver linings and shit...

• Shocked 1

US to seize exports of masks and gloves amid crisis.

The article is very unclear as to whether this will affect the agreement reached earlier this week that allowed 3M to export to Canada and Mexico.

Either way, the US will be seizing already-paid-for goods bound for other countries, all because Trump refused to have the government prepare.

• Guillotine 2

LSAC is going to allow April registrants to take the LSAT at home and with two less sections. Wonder if I can reverse my cancellation? Had originally registered to take it at the end of the month!

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

US to seize exports of masks and gloves amid crisis.

The article is very unclear as to whether this will affect the agreement reached earlier this week that allowed 3M to export to Canada and Mexico.

Either way, the US will be seizing already-paid-for goods bound for other countries, all because Trump refused to have the government prepare.

for fucks sakes this man needs to roll over and die already. The world would be a better place. 

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

NY Post reporter asked Trump if hes going to pardon the Tiger King for some reason, luckily he had no idea wtf he was talking about.

Next week he'll say something like "You know people are calling me a Tiger King. It's true. Never had a President like me, like a King. And tiger's...what an animal. Vicious. So a Tiger King. Maybe? We'll see."

New York Coronavirus outbreak traced back to Europe, not China

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that it was brought to the region mainly by travelers from Europe, not Asia.

“The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

A separate team at N.Y.U. Grossman School of Medicine came to strikingly similar conclusions, despite studying a different group of cases. Both teams analyzed genomes from coronaviruses taken from New Yorkers starting in mid-March.

The research revealed a previously hidden spread of the virus that might have been detected if aggressive testing programs had been put in place. On Jan. 31, President Trump barred foreign nationals from entering the country if they had been in China — the site of the virus’s first known outbreak — during the previous two weeks.

So much for the Chinese Coronavirus...

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This has been the assumption since the beginning. west coast outbreaks were mostly from China related travel, east coast outbreaks were mostly from European travel. But the Euro cases were caused first by China related travel.

There's a difference between something being "assumed" and it being"confirmed". And yes, the novel Coronavirus did orginate in China, but the mutated strand in NY came from travel from Europe. The article points out that banning travel from China did little to nothing for NY because the soft European travel ban didn't start until mid March and the NY strain of the virus had been circulating since mid-February. Basically it is pointing out another missed opportunity to have caught this before it got out of hand.

On Jan. 31, President Trump barred foreign nationals from entering the country if they had been in China during the prior two weeks. It would not be until late February that Italy would begin locking down towns and cities, and March 11 when Mr. Trump said he would block travelers from most European countries. But New Yorkers had already been traveling home with the virus.

But the United States fumbled in making its first diagnostic kits and initially limited testing only to people who had come from China and displayed symptoms of Covid-19. “It was a disaster that we didn’t do testing,” Dr. Heguy said.

A few cases came to light starting at the end of January. But it was easy to dismiss them as rare imports that did not lead to local outbreaks.

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's a difference between something being "assumed" and it being"confirmed". And yes, the novel Coronavirus did orginate in China, but the mutated strand in NY came from travel from Europe. The article points out that banning travel from China did little to nothing for NY because the soft European travel ban didn't start until mid March and the NY strain of the virus had been circulating since mid-February. Basically it is pointing out another missed opportunity to have caught this before it got out of hand.

I actually wouldn’t give the various entities involved in that too much grief because it was difficult for the Euros to know what was happening there, in no small part due to China’s “inaccurate” information about the virus and it’s transmission between humans.

Good read on what it's like to be a minimum wage "essential" worker.

I was going through much the same thing for weeks, but I finally told them on Monday I wasn't coming in for a month or two. Even though with my heart condition I am probably considered high risk myself, it's mostly due to worrying about infecting my sister or mother, who are both even higher risk than me. Not worth the risk.

My boss informs me that those with corporate jobs at our company stopped working in their offices weeks ago, preferring the safety of their own homes, even before the state-mandated shutdowns. Why aren’t the people deciding that companies stay open putting themselves at risk, too? Why, in industries like mine, are minimum-wage workers the only ones forced to keep exposing themselves to the danger of the pandemic? Some days, I wash my hands so many times they turn bright red.

Both of these are spot on.

Pretty much the first time in my life I've had the issue of the skin on my hands cracking and bleeding. I would get days off, they'd get better, and then wrecked when I worked again. Kind of funny thing I did to myself. Because I've never really had that happen to my hands before I did something to fuck up my hand before I even knew what I was doing. When I am watching TV or distracted I guess I have a habit of rubbing the stubble on my chin with the back of my hand. I was really distracted watching TV and realized after a looooong time, "Fuck, that hurts" look down and realize I have given myself what looks like about four dozen little paper cuts on my knuckles and back of my hand. 

There are no unemployment options for those of us who still have a job but decide the risk of working it isn’t ultimately worth it. All we have is the decision to stay and pay our bills or the decision to quit and fall even deeper into debt than many of us already are. Most of us live paycheck to paycheck, with so little money ― if any ― left over that the thought of opening a savings account is laughable.

I have kind of experienced this too. 

I know it sucks for the many, many people who have been laid off or fired, but it's kind of a fucked up opposite for some low wage, "essential" workers. Either work and take the risk, or quit and get nothing.