Jump to content

~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~


Recommended Posts

Some good news, I think: Spouse's test results were posted on the online Sask Health Authority portal, and she is negative. Can't say enough positive things about the process though:

 

  • Wed - cough, headache
  • Sun - chest tightness, fever, loss of taste
  • Mon afternoon - called 811 Healthline, left msg, they called back in 1 hr. Approved her for test (and me). Ordered to quarantine for 14 days. Can only leave for test.
  • Mon evening - get call from SHA, test is Tue AM
  • Tue morning - drive to testing site. Large digital signs set up to guide. Multiple security stations. Cars park far apart. Nurse gives mask through window, takes her into building. Only 1 person in building at a time. Nurses in full face masks and gowns. Make people wash hands before and after. A deep swab in each nostril to back of sinus cavity, and one to throat. Escorted back to car.
  • Tue evening - test result posted online.

 

I think they won't officially call her to clear her until the national lab in Winnipeg double-checked the sample. I don't know if I will be tested. I told them I would waive the test if someone else could use it more since I am not in a risk group, but the 811 nurse said there is no shortage of tests. So far my province had tested over 1.5% of the population (police also just fined someone $2,800 for breaking quarantine, who was COVID-19+).

 

So I'm assuming we have a bad flu. Will still be quarantining to be safe.

 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Good news, once the daily death figures plateau (at around 2 to 3 thousand dead Americans per day?) the battle will be over and we can go back to normal! Surely nothing bad will happen!

 

 


The entire Western world is looking to begin easing restrictions over the next month, that isn’t some uniquely Trumpian notion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

And do you think Canada, Norway, and Germany will handle easing of restrictions in the same way Trump will attempt to? I say attempt to because I know that state leaders have more control over local situations.


That isn’t what the tweet is saying, the guy is talking timeline. And a lot of folks here, you more than any in fact, also thought it would require keeping these levels of measures in place for many months on end...and you were probably wrong. So now you have to pivot to “he’s gonna do it wrong” from “he’s doing it too soon”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess it was just Ottawa that extended it that long. It looks like most other municipalities and regions only extend two weeks at a time. I haven't heard much talk about opening things up any time soon, but like I said I could just be out of the loop. 

 

I'll say this, it's going to be a fucking disaster if we open things up too early and too rapidly. And this should all be obvious just looking at China's example of starting to open up, and then pulling back when the numbers started to rise.

 

But, oh yeah, "cHiNa iS lYiNg." So what's happening over there bears no consideration, and instead we should do the exact opposite of them. Open things up. And when the infections inevitably start to rise, we'll wait. Wait until it becomes undeniably obvious that the lock downs need to be reinstated. And wait longer. Because that's what we fucking do. And wait longer still, before we finally do reinstate the lockdown. And when that happens, and the numbers continue to be low in China because they're not fucking stupid, we should once again repeat to each other how they are certainly lying. Because if we can't handle this, surely the god damn Chinese can't either.

 

I mean who could possibly know that an extremely contagious illness could continue to be contagious? If only those god damn Chinese didn't lie to us about that! 

 

Edit: I tried finding any articles about opening things up but most of what I found was from March 23ish, when Trump said he wanted things open by Easter and it was obvious that was a bad idea. All I found was this article which, if anything, seems to suggest this will likely be a prolonged shutdown: 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/business/economy/coronavirus-economy.html 

 

One of the points they raise in the article is even if you do open businesses up, the economy is not likely to recover until people feel comfortable and safe to go out and have fun. I definitely agree with this. I was just saying earlier to a friend that even if there was some miracle and we opened things up before June, and even though I really need a haircut already, I'm not going anywhere near a barber until at least middle of June, because it would be a fucking disaster for me if I got sick before then. After that it wouldn't be ideal but assuming I didn't die it'd be manageable for me to take a couple weeks off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/world/coronavirus-news.amp.html

Quote

The European Union’s top scientist has quit after failing to persuade his superiors to set up and finance a major collective scientific program to confront the new coronavirus.

Dr. Mauro Ferrari, an Italian-American who began a four-year appointment as president of the European Research Council in January, resigned on Tuesday in a letter to Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission president.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/face-masks-cannot-stop-healthy-people-getting-covid-19-says-who

Quote

The World Health Organization has held off from recommending people wear face masks in public after assessing fresh evidence that suggested the items may help to contain the pandemic.

The WHO reviewed its position on masks in light of data from Hong Kong indicating that their widespread use in the community may have reduced the spread of coronavirus in some regions.

But in updated guidance published on Monday, the organisation maintained that while masks could help limit the spread of the disease, they were insufficient on their own. There was no evidence that wearing a mask in the community prevented healthy people from picking up respiratory infections including Covid-19, it said.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:


That isn’t what the tweet is saying, the guy is talking timeline. And a lot of folks here, you more than any in fact, also thought it would require keeping these levels of measures in place for many months on end...and you were probably wrong. So now you have to pivot to “he’s gonna do it wrong” from “he’s doing it too soon”.

 

It does require keeping these measures on place for many months. 18+ months if you want to keep the infection rate dropping. The only reason deaths are slowing (in acceleration) is because of the measures taken. If they are loosened, then spread accelerates again. I don't know how you can say I am probably wrong about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

It does require keeping these measures on place for many months. 18+ months if you want to keep the infection rate dropping. The only reason deaths are slowing (in acceleration) is because of the measures taken. If they are loosened, then spread accelerates again. I don't know how you can say I am probably wrong about that.

 

15 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

There is zero doubt we loosen restrictions without a vaccine, and we're right back to where we are. 


Tell Korea they’ve got it all wrong then :p 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

 


Tell Korea they’ve got it all wrong then :p 

Are you... trying to compare the US to S.Korea?  Like do you even live in the same reality the rest of us are in?  Our government wasn't even saying this was a problem till like 1000 people were dead, and is pitting states against each other for equipment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Are you... trying to compare the US to S.Korea?  Like do you even live in the same reality the rest of us are in?  Our government wasn't even saying this was a problem till like 1000 people were dead, and is pitting states against each other for equipment.

The discussion you jumped into wasn’t limited to the US. It was about the western world looking to begin easing restrictions over the next month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Are you... trying to compare the US to S.Korea?  Like do you even live in the same reality the rest of us are in?  Our government wasn't even saying this was a problem till like 1000 people were dead, and is pitting states against each other for equipment.

Why do you hate our capitalistic freedom???!!? The only real and best most free freedoms that any human can be a slave to!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

 


Tell Korea they’ve got it all wrong then :p 

 

The US has handled this worse than almost any other western nation, and I can't see that really changing. However, I do not think it is impossible to loosen restrictions and keep the curve fairly low, just that I don't think the US is capable of doing it. Some combination of the following would likely allow society to return to a new normal:

 

  • Continue 2-4m social distancing
  • Face masks in public for all
  • Limit number of people in businesses
  • Constant sanitizing of touch points / no touching faces
  • Enough testing for all who need it, within 24 hrs (and results immediately)
  • Mandating quarantine for anyone with any symptoms that resemble COVID-19 with immediate testing (and if positive, notification and quarantine/testing for anyone in contact with them)
  • Total buy-in from the public and leaders

 

If most of that is done, then we could have some sort of new normal before a vaccine/herd immunity is reached. I simply don't believe the US has the fortitude to handle it the way that Korea does, especially in terms of testing and tracking of everyone.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The goal posts keep shifting. It’s OK to acknowledge that new information has changed the assessment of the situation instead of sticking to our original positions. That’s why the scientific models keep changing as time goes on and we better understand this thing.
 

But the idea that we have to keep these same levels of measures in place for 12-18 months as you’ve said dozens of times is not the consensus view of the scientific community.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The goal posts keep shifting. It’s OK to acknowledge that new information has changed the assessment of the situation instead of sticking to our original positions. That’s why the scientific models keep changing as time goes on and we better understand this thing.
 

But the idea that we have to keep these same levels of measures in place for 12-18 months as you’ve said dozens of times is not the consensus view of the scientific community.

 

I may be mistaken, but I don't remember saying we will have to keep the existing measures in place, for certain, only that it would provide the surest protection. You're right, new information comes out all the time, and my own thinking changes as well. Nothing wrong with that. The virus turns out to be less deadly than originally though, which is great, but also more contagious, which is bad. If we have an amazing testing system in place (and complete buy-in from the public in terms of tracking everyone with phones, etc) then I think we can do contact tracing well enough to loosen things a bit. But I don't think we'll reach that point until well into summer, at the earliest. The curve isn't going to appreciably drop until June or July, it looks like, as it is going to go down slower than it went up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some good news, looks like Trudeau will announce further measures to cover people who slipped through the cracks of the CERB program, including students, etc: https://www.cjme.com/2020/04/08/more-help-on-way-for-those-not-eligible-for-emergency-aid-programs-2/

 

Details will be coming later today. Applications opened Monday morning, and the first $2,000 deposits have already been made into accounts this morning. Apparently the government is reviewing and approving over 1,000 applications per minute right now, with over 700,000 already approved for CERB ($2,000 monthly payments for anyone who has lost job).

 

EDIT - The big group who are currently left out are people who have lost most of their income, but not all. CERB requires that you have $0 in employment/self-employment income, but some people went from, say, $4,000/mo to $1,000/mo, and I assume the rules will be expanded to make up the difference (up to $2,000, I assume).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Some good news, looks like Trudeau will announce further measures to cover people who slipped through the cracks of the CERB program, including students, etc: https://www.cjme.com/2020/04/08/more-help-on-way-for-those-not-eligible-for-emergency-aid-programs-2/

 

Details will be coming later today. Applications opened Monday morning, and the first $2,000 deposits have already been made into accounts this morning. Apparently the government is reviewing and approving over 1,000 applications per minute right now, with over 700,000 already approved for CERB ($2,000 monthly payments for anyone who has lost job).

Look at this guy with his fancy competent Government. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The US Federal Government has perhaps handled this worse than any other nation, but not the US overall. Our stupid system of federalism has allowed governors like Inslee, Murphy, Cuomo, and DeWine to really shine right now. 

 

The US has ramped up testing in a pretty dramatic way. We will be one of the leaders in per capita testing in the world in less than 2 weeks.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Look at this guy with his fancy competent Government. 

 

Oh we have our issues. Canada got lucky with COVID-19. Our provinces weren't much quicker than the US states to respond (with lockdowns, etc), we simply had a later date of critical mass for the infection. However, I would agree that since restrictions were put in place, the cooperation between all levels of government has been pretty great, and buy-in from both government and the public has been good. I mean, asshole Doug Ford is 100% onboard with the federal Liberal plan, which is crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

The US Federal Government has perhaps handled this worse than any other nation, but not the US overall. Our stupid system of federalism has allowed governors like Inslee, Murphy, Cuomo, and DeWine to really shine right now. 

 

The US has ramped up testing in a pretty dramatic way. We will be one of the leaders in per capita testing in the world in less than 2 weeks.

Drop Cuomo, add Newsom. Cuomo has been wrong over and over and was late to act when it mattered most.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Drop Cuomo, add Newsom. Cuomo has been wrong over and over and was late to act when it mattered most.

 

Cuomo acted late, but has really been a great leader since. I mean Murphy acted even later than Cuomo.

 

Newsom is weird. The state has very low per capita testing and they are sitting on a ton of pending tests. Jury is out on him imo.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

Oh we have our issues. Canada got lucky with COVID-19. Our provinces weren't much quicker than the US states to respond (with lockdowns, etc), we simply had a later date of critical mass for the infection. However, I would agree that since restrictions were put in place, the cooperation between all levels of government has been pretty great, and buy-in from both government and the public has been good. I mean, asshole Doug Ford is 100% onboard with the federal Liberal plan, which is crazy.

It's actually funny to watch the debates over Ford. I still hate him but I think he deserves some credit for playing ball and not politics like jason kenney has been in alberta. Yet for some people on resetera, they've turned it into a "bitch be eating crackers" moment and no praise is allowed. I still don't think the province will forgive for the shit he pulled before hand and will most likely lose him the majority come next election time (probably even not get minority status). Yet still in a time like now I think he deserves credit for how he is handling it, but also some criticism for some aspects (like allowing too many business to be deemed essential that had no business being so).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jose said:

The US Federal Government has perhaps handled this worse than any other nation, but not the US overall. Our stupid system of federalism has allowed governors like Inslee, Murphy, Cuomo, and DeWine to really shine right now. 

 

The US has ramped up testing in a pretty dramatic way. We will be one of the leaders in per capita testing in the world in less than 2 weeks.

Cuomo is not an example of someone doing a good job. He did terrible job and between him and deblasio is responsible for NY being in the state it is in now. He does have a press that is doing a good job covering his ass though. 
 

inslee is by far doing the best and isn’t getting enough credit 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jose said:

 

Cuomo acted late, but has really been a great leader since. I mean Murphy acted even later than Cuomo.

 

Newsom is weird. The state has very low per capita testing and they are sitting on a ton of pending tests. Jury is out on him imo.

 

 

Newsom is a piece of shit let's not give him any credit!

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Drop Cuomo, add Newsom. Cuomo has been wrong over and over and was late to act when it mattered most.

Are you confusing Cuomo, The Governor of NY State for DiBlasio, the Mayer of NY City? Cuomo has been awesome and DiBlasio was the late one. NY was one of the earliest states to implement social distancing. Also his leadership with his daily briefings is must watch TV for those of us here in the Tri-state area... and he and the governors of NY and Connecticut have basically formed an aliiance with this whole ordeal. I don't think I've seen any critiques of Cuomo's handling of this and even his detractors in the city have come around and are giving him credit for how he's been handling this. Cuomo deserves a LOT if credit for how he's been handling things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • AbsolutSurgen changed the title to ~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...