~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I am mainly working through what I can do to fit a D1P mention in. 

Just state "It's like a day one patch for small businesses" :batting:

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Our family friend who had been in hospital with COVID-19 passed away last night.

I'm sorry for your loss. </3 If you need someone to talk to don't ever hesitate to reach out to someone. I'm sure many of us here would be willing to be an open ear. 

• Thanks 2

We just ran out of paper towels, and toilet paper (12:00). Over the last couple of weeks they haven't lasted beyond 8:45. I guess they've ran out of room to store it. We are also definitely slower after 10am. Traffic is still bullshit, though.

3 minutes ago, Iculus said:

We just ran out of paper towels, and toilet paper (12:00). Over the last couple of weeks they haven't lasted beyond 8:45. I guess they've ran out of room to store it. We are also definitely slower after 10am. Traffic is still bullshit, though.

No TP or paper towels OR ramen at my store otherwise everything else was in stock. They are also limiting meat and dairy to 2 per customer.

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

These fucking idiots are passing around a projection written by a law professor.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-contrarian-coronavirus-theory-that-informed-the-trump-administration

I just tried to read this and the arrogance of this guy is amazing. HE IS NOT A SCIENTIST and he is speaking authoritatively about shit that he has no idea about. This is complete and utter hubris and the fact that our political leaders were using this clowns "information" as the basis for our response infuriates the hell out of me :angry:

Yeah Canadians seem to think we are doing well (and I guess we are comparatively to the US), but we are still increasing at an exponential rate:

EUOv9yhU8AEaV0L?format=jpg&name=large

That's a log chart, and Canada is still doubling every 3 days or so. BC is the one province that appears to have slowed it down, while a few others like SK have kept it roughly linear. Most are still accelerating, though.

This story in the Times about why the Feds don't have a huge stockpile of ventilators is frustrating as hell.

Here's the timeline they lay out:

2006 - DHS establishes a new division to prepare medical responses to attacks and infectious diseases.

2007 - They determine that 70,000 additional ventilators should be stockpiled in perpetration for a "moderate influenza pandemic

2008 - They start getting bids and a formal budget to buy only 40,000 ventilators

2010- The $6M contract is officially awarded to a small CA company called Newport for $3K each (as opposed to the typical $10k)

2012 - In April, the prototypes are ready for final market approval and mass production the following year.

2012 - In May, a multi-billion dollar company Coviden buys Newport for $100M, along with five other medical device companies that same year. Insiders seem to think that Coviden bought Newport to prevent them from making cheaper ventilators that would compete with Coviden's much more expensive products.

2014 - Coviden has not delivered any machines, and wants out of the contract.

2015 - Coviden itself is bought for $50B by Medtronic. The government starts over and awards Dutch giant Philips a $13.8M contract to build only 10k ventilators to be delivered by mid 2020

2020 - No additional ventilators have been delivered from Philips.

It's an incredible convergence of so many things. It's experts who saw a need and a government agency explaining the necessity, fighting for a tiny fraction of the budget. It's giant companies buying out smaller ones to protect their profits. It's a near complete secession of any government leadership or follow through as soon as Trump takes office. It's the story of so many long term failures of this country, all wrapped in one.

• Guillotine 1

So I’m for sure in 2 weeks of quarantine. My cousin and husband who have been sick for a few days now just got a call from a hospital they had been too. My cousin has a cousin there who has had a heart attack and at least 2 strokes in the past couple of weeks. She got a call this morning to let her know that one of the paramedics that helped her cousin on March 19th just got their test results back today confirming she has Covid-19. So the paramedic and my cousin were told to stay in self quarantine unless they are having extreme breathing difficulty. She tried calling to get tested again and it’s a 14hr wait on the Canadian health service line to get an answer to that. So we are assuming that she and her husband have it. My mom and sister said that as of this morning they could no longer smell and taste anything. I pinched a nerve in my back (I hope it’s a pinch cause it’s excruciating at times) and lost a little of my taste buds (but might of burned with soup) So here’s hoping for best :nervous: Can’t vape my marijuana to cool my nerves because they worry about it hurting my lung, if things do get bad. So I’m decarbing some of my stuff, grind it into a powder/dust and make some capsules for consuming. I’ll admit that my nerves are pretty shot every now and then and my weed is what has kept me mellow when I feel a little scared

• Sad 4

24 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

My niece posted this on Facebook a couple weeks back, and now it's what I think about every time I hop online to look at the news....

1hdas2.jpg

The Victator has entered it's final form.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Why does he keep talking about this china shit? Look dude, it didn't work. We can see, by what is happening right now, that your shit didn't work.

If you're claiming it bought you some time, well guess what... you didn't fucking do anything with that time, and now it's everywhere as if you did nothing, only 2 weeks later or whatever... so SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Everyone knows it didn't do shit. Well, everyone but your drooling halfwit fucklord followers who will believe anything you say because they're fucking brainwashed simpleton shitheads.

2 hours ago, ort said:

Why does he keep talking about this china shit? Look dude, it didn't work. We can see, by what is happening right now, that your shit didn't work.

If you're claiming it bought you some time, well guess what... you didn't fucking do anything with that time, and now it's everywhere as if you did nothing, only 2 weeks later or whatever... so SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Everyone knows it didn't do shit. Well, everyone but your drooling halfwit fucklord followers who will believe anything you say because they're fucking brainwashed simpleton shitheads.

He is clinically obsessed with reliving and retelling triumphs, regardless of how inconsequential and irrelevant they are to everyone else.

He's always been this way.

New study sheds light on coronavirus infection mechanism

New research has shed light on a crucial biological mechanism that may have helped the coronavirus to infect humans and spread rapidly around the world.

A detailed analysis of the virus’s structure shows that the club-like “spikes” that it uses to establish infections latch on to human cells about four times more strongly than those on the related Sars coronavirus, which killed hundreds of people in a 2002 epidemic.

The finding suggests that coronavirus particles that are inhaled through the nose or mouth have a high chance of attaching to cells in the upper respiratory tract, meaning that relatively few are needed for an infection to gain a foothold.

India racked by greatest exodus since partition due to coronavirus

While it was met with approval by experts and health professionals, the lockdown has already proved catastrophic for India’s millions of migrant and daily wage workers, who earn their salary hundreds or sometimes thousands of miles away from home and live a hand-to-mouth existence.

With no way to earn money and feed their families for at least three weeks, millions decided last week to head back to their villages in order to survive.

With trains and most buses suspended and taxis unaffordable, walking was the only option for many, and the sides of the highways were soon lined with people, bags slung over their shoulders, many with nothing but flip-flops on their feet. More than 20 migrant labourers have died over the past few days as they try to walk back home.

• Sad 2