~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

Los Angeles has spent decades not building a sufficient amount of housing so a lot of the housing stock is from the 1970s and 1980s; shit, I was recently in an apartment with kitchen appliances that looked more 1950s or 1960s. So you wind up with in-unit laundry mostly only being in the new construction, which is even more expensive than it should be because of how hard it is to get it built.

That sucks.

I remember using the laudromat a couple times when I was a kid. Once when the washer went out and we couldn't get a new one for a few days and once during an ice storm where our power was out for several days. Definitely an un-fun experience and my parents weren't crazy about it, either.

Any Asians in D1P?

Constant bombardment with the news has been really fucking me over.  I've already had two fucking instances where people have treated me differently, although none aggressively towards me.  I've been debating on carrying a pocket knife with me whenever I leave my apartment.

• Sad 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52087002

University College London engineers worked with clinicians at UCLH and Mercedes Formula One to build the device, which delivers oxygen to the lungs without needing a ventilator.

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices are already used in hospitals but are in short supply.

China and Italy used them to help Covid-19 patients.

Forty of the new devices have been delivered to ULCH and to three other London hospitals. If trials go well, up to 1,000 of the CPAP machines can be produced per day by Mercedes-AMG-HPP, beginning in a week's time.

_111467245_1.jpg

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

True, but I wasn't disputing anything.

Also, are apartments with washer and dryer that uncommon elsewhere? When we lived in apartments, we always made sure we got one with those included. Not having the set meant an automatic nope.

I have a Washer and Dryer. I think that you have to buy them yourself to put them in here though. Otherwise we have laundry rooms.

Kinda the same thing for my mom but she doesn't have a washer and dryer but there's a space where she could put one.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Interesting observation if you live in a complex with a dumpster. I guess people underestimated the amount of waste that accumulates if everyone stays home because them dumpsters are overflowing, the recycling dumpsters too! :p

I don't live in an apartment, but weirdly my families garbage output has gone way down.  We're not buy a bunch of new things and I try to buy in bigger quantities to reduce trips, so we generate less trash. I'm not hoarding like a lunatic though.

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I don't live in an apartment, but weirdly my families garbage output has gone way down.  We're not buy a bunch of new things and I try to buy in bigger quantities to reduce trips, so we generate less trash. I'm not hoarding like a lunatic though.

Now that you mention it, my trash was also way down this week. We usually have 4-5 bags in our can. This week we only had 2.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yep, wore some device on her chest for a few weeks and they don't know.

Yeah the 24/7 EKG thingy. That is nuts. I have gone through similar, but I am fairly certain mine is  panic attacks lol. Hoping for the best for her!

49 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I haven't gone grocery shopping since mid-March.  I'm starting to run low on non-perishables so I'll have to make a trip this weekend.  I'm almost too scared to go...

Wear a mask. 

https://medium.com/@Cancerwarrior/covid-19-why-we-should-all-wear-masks-there-is-new-scientific-rationale-280e08ceee71

Wear a mask, wear a mask, wear a mothafuckin mask. 

1*1ENrdC4tV-HrMWdaeSrjyQ.png

Just tie a bandana around your face if you can. It's better than nothing for you. 

We should ALL be doing this. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/trump-says-keeping-us-covid-19-deaths-to-100000-would-be-a-very-good-job

Donald Trump has extended America’s national shutdown for a month, bowing to public health experts, and scientific reality, and warning that the worst of the coronavirus pandemic is yet to come.

Speaking in the White House Rose Garden, the US president claimed that, if his administration keeps the death toll to 100,000, it will have done “a very good job” – a startling shift from his optimistic predictions of a few days ago when he said he hoped to restart the economy by Easter.

• Guillotine 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/29/spanish-flu-survivor-dies-from-coronavirus-aged-108

A 108-year-old woman who survived the 1918 Spanish flu is thought to have become the oldest victim of coronavirus in the UK.

Hilda Churchill died in a Salford care home on Saturday, hours after testing positive for Covid-19 and just eight days before her 109th birthday.

She is the oldest victim of the virus to be named in the UK. She was born in 1911, the year before the Titanic sank and three years before the start of the first world war. It was also seven years before the Spanish flu pandemic, which infected 500 million worldwide, and killed her sister.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That sucks.

I remember using the laudromat a couple times when I was a kid. Once when the washer went out and we couldn't get a new one for a few days and once during an ice storm where our power was out for several days. Definitely an un-fun experience and my parents weren't crazy about it, either.

The worse is when you live in a building that not only doesn't have in unit washer and dryers, it doesn't even have an onsite laundry room. You have to go to an actual coin operated laundromat. Neither of the apartments I've lived in in Los Angeles were like that, both had onsite laundry rooms, but when I lived in NY you HAD to go to laundromats. You just had to hope you had one relatively close to your building.

7 hours ago, darkness35 said:

Any Asians in D1P?

Constant bombardment with the news has been really fucking me over.  I've already had two fucking instances where people have treated me differently, although none aggressively towards me.  I've been debating on carrying a pocket knife with me whenever I leave my apartment.

I've seen similar sentiments from some of my Asian friends and colleagues on social media. It sucks and we should all call that bullshit out when we see it.

57 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm sure we will at some point, but I don't think we have yet. Even if you don't count the folks who died from 9/11 related illnesses sometimes years after the fact, right now we are at about 2,500 Coronavirus deaths in the U.S. and we lost 2,996 on 9/11. We'll probably pass that in the next day or so with Coronavirus but yeah...

58 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Wear a mask. 

https://medium.com/@Cancerwarrior/covid-19-why-we-should-all-wear-masks-there-is-new-scientific-rationale-280e08ceee71

Wear a mask, wear a mask, wear a mothafuckin mask. 

1*1ENrdC4tV-HrMWdaeSrjyQ.png

Just tie a bandana around your face if you can. It's better than nothing for you. 

We should ALL be doing this. 

Coronavirus can enter through the eyes as well so any eye protection folks can wear will help as well. 

We can only hope. Or, we get a SCOTUS ruling that news companies can not only lie about politics (as has already been settled), but can also directly lie about what is dangerous and what is not, even if they know they are lying (as long as they are doing it for political reasons). Because free speech.

• Guillotine 1

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

We can only hope. Or, we get a SCOTUS ruling that news companies can not only lie about politics (as has already been settled), but can also directly lie about what is dangerous and what is not, even if they know they are lying (as long as they are doing it for political reasons). Because free speech.

god this would be such a :feelsgood: if something like this really happens.  we all know nothing would come of it but they need to be sued into oblivion.    

• Like 1