~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I’ve been going to the grocery store. I have to do more shopping because my dad is in the vulnerable group so I gotta get his stuff. I stay away from people as much as I can, don’t touch anything I don’t need to, I sanitize the cart before I use it, and when I get home I clean everything and shower cuz fuck it I ain’t doing anything else might as well get real clean. 

18 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

They want almost five bucks for a dozen eggs! Fuck that I'm not that desperate for delivered groceries.

Our neighbor sells eggs for $2 a dozen and they are delicious :cool:

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

I’ve been going to the grocery store. I have to do more shopping because my dad is in the vulnerable group so I gotta get his stuff. I stay away from people as much as I can, don’t touch anything I don’t need to, I sanitize the cart before I use it, and when I get home I clean everything and shower cuz fuck it I ain’t doing anything else might as well get real clean. 

I've been going, wearing gloves, avoiding ppl, placing items in my own bag. I carry some wipes and wipe down self checkout before and after, transfer items to other bags I have as I price them. Exit store, dump gloves, purell in car. Wash groceries, wipe down boxes, toss bags and clothes in laundry and shower. Then put groceries away or rewash.👀

49 minutes ago, Jose said:

What is everyone doing to get groceries right now? Instacart? Their prices are absurd. Whole Foods had no delivery times, either. I was thinking of trying Postmates.

I just go. I stay away from everyone, I don’t get a cart, or hand basket; fortunately we are at the point we are just getting milk, bread, and fruit.

They just installed the shields in my most frequented grocery store.

26 minutes ago, Jose said:

Prime Pantry has eggs in your area? Wat.

Oh sorry, Amazon Fresh

25 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Some places like Target have grocery pickup. 

Yeah the Food Lions around here do but you order and then apparently pick up several days later. I'm assuming they're just fuck-slammed and that's not normal.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Our neighbor sells eggs for $2 a dozen and they are delicious :cool:

There's a farm right up the street that advertises but I'll probably just go pick them up at the local store, yeah 1.5-2$ is what I'd expect.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

What is everyone doing to get groceries right now? Instacart? Their prices are absurd. Whole Foods had no delivery times, either. I was thinking of trying Postmates.

Heads up Instacart workers are planning a nationwide strike starting tomorrow.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jose said:

Curbside H-E-B. I haven’t set foot in a grocery store in around 3 weeks.

I work at Target, so I just grab what I need when I get off. I've also become a personal shopper for as many people as I can. I have to be out in this shit, so I'm doing my best to reduce the risk for others. Starting tomorrow they are letting us shop an hour before the store opens on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Hit me up for TP lol

• Thanks 1

It has begun...

Modi seeks 'forgiveness' from India's poor over coronavirus lockdown

MUMBAI (Reuters) - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked the nation's poor for forgiveness on Sunday, as the economic and human toll from his 21-day nationwide lockdown deepens and criticism mounts about a lack of adequate planning ahead of the decision.

Modi announced a three week-lockdown on Tuesday to curb the spread of coronavirus. But the decision has stung millions of India's poor, leaving many hungry and forcing jobless migrant labourers to flee cities and walk hundreds of kilometres to their native villages.

"I would firstly like to seek forgiveness from all my countrymen," Modi said in a nationwide radio address.

The poor "would definitely be thinking what kind of prime minister is this, who has put us into so much trouble," he said, urging people to understand there was no other option.

It has begun.

As North Americans carefully document the tweets (and the party affiliation of each offender), the greatest tragedy of our lifetime is about to begin.

It's not going to happen in New York, Milan, or Toronto.

It's going to happen in exotic-sounding cities like Jakarta, Mumbai, Delhi, Lagos, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires.  And there is nothing we can do about it.

Tens of millions of people will die in the developing world over the next few months.  They will not have ventilators.  They will try to self-isolate, but the majority cannot even afford 14-days of food.

We may not even realize the total extent of the human toll, until it is long over.  I am very sad.

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It has begun...

Modi seeks 'forgiveness' from India's poor over coronavirus lockdown

It has begun.

As North Americans carefully document the tweets (and the party affiliation of each offender), the greatest tragedy of our lifetime is about to begin.

It's not going to happen in New York, Milan, or Toronto.

It's going to happen in exotic-sounding cities like Jakarta, Mumbai, Delhi, Lagos, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires.  And there is nothing we can do about it.

Tens of millions of people will die in the developing world over the next few months.  They will not have ventilators.  They will try to self-isolate, but the majority cannot even afford 14-days of food.

We may not even realize the total extent of the human toll, until it is long over.  I am very sad.

A lot of my company's backend IT people, drafters, and some of our financial people are in Bangalore and Chennai. I've been worried about this once it gets there. I think this is going to be a miserable year. 

20 minutes ago, johnny said:

The only thing that’s eluded me so far is disinfectant wipes and spray. Luckily I have like 4 things of wipes still. I was able to buy one bottle of hand sanitizer last week. I don’t need TP but I saw it once. 

Amazon watch list of all of them and just keep checking it 2/3 times a day. They will just randomly become available for purchase for stock they have on the way. Mid week I was able to get in an order for Lysol wipes and spray. My wipes came in today and I just noticed my spray will be here tomorrow.

We’ve just been going to the store, though. We’ve done online ordering and pickup since Walmart rolled it out, but it’s damn near impossible right now. The lines are long and too much is out of stock. 

I just limit touching stuff unless I’m putting it in my cart and trying to distance myself from people. Wash my hands when I get home. 

food shopping hasn’t been that bad for me here. Once every 2 weeks we go to chinese market and can get all the meat we need. For stuff during the week, the store 1 block away is taking things seriously and only allows 50 ppl in the store at a time, has tape down inside and outside the store for 2m distance and is well stocked with most things. So if I go at 9am, I only wait 2-4 people before I get in and can grab what I need quickly. When I get home all bags stay at the door, I wash my hands then move things from the bags at the door to the kitchen one at a time. Anything that needs a wipe down gets it on my walk to the kitchen. My reusable bags get a wiped down with Lysol afterward before going into the closet.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Kroger pickup, earliest pickup available, and also going into the store in the early morning. My wife has some heart issues that haven't been diagnosed yet (heartbeat will spike up to 160bpm just laying in bed, and it's not a panic attack) so I'm not taking chances

Damn, that is nuts. She hasn't been to a cardiologist yet?

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We’ve just been going to the store, though. We’ve done online ordering and pickup since Walmart rolled it out, but it’s damn near impossible right now. The lines are long and too much is out of stock. 

I just limit touching stuff unless I’m putting it in my cart and trying to distance myself from people. Wash my hands when I get home. 

For you the marginal risk of a trip to the store is probably a lot lower than for most of us, though. 

As I said on the general board, the hardest part right now is not having my own washer/dryer so I it's not really practical to put things in the laundry as soon as I come in from being out. Been having to resort to designating some clothes as shopping clothes and leaving them by the front door when coming in. Finally had to do laundry today and people really did not seem to be taking keeping distance seriously in the laundry room. :/

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

For you the marginal risk of a trip to the store is probably a lot lower than for most of us, though. 

True, but I wasn't disputing anything.

Also, are apartments with washer and dryer that uncommon elsewhere? When we lived in apartments, we always made sure we got one with those included. Not having the set meant an automatic nope.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

True, but I wasn't disputing anything.

Also, are apartments with washer and dryer that uncommon elsewhere? When we lived in apartments, we always made sure we got one with those included. Not having the set meant an automatic nope.

Los Angeles has spent decades not building a sufficient amount of housing so a lot of the housing stock is from the 1970s and 1980s; shit, I was recently in an apartment with kitchen appliances that looked more 1950s or 1960s. So you wind up with in-unit laundry mostly only being in the new construction, which is even more expensive than it should be because of how hard it is to get it built.