~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

4 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Like seriously, give me one reason, ONE FUCKING REASON, why I should be hopeful about anything anymore.

Not all of the world is the USA.

I live in Saskatchewan, one of the shittiest provinces in Canada. But I know that many other places in Canada are pretty awesome. I also know other places are worse than Saskatchewan outside of Canada. The same applies to the US on a global scale.

19 minutes ago, Comet said:

This guy is still making videos? After E = MC Vagina I didn’t know he had any more magic left in him. 

He generally doesn't make videos anymore. He might make one video a year. He does still make music, but it is more serious indie stuff that I don't listen to. He was also in some show I never watched as a character named taco. 

Edit: He also made this a week ago but I didn't consider posting it:

2 hours ago, ort said:

What the fuck did I just get in the mail...

"PRESIDENT TRUMPS CORONAVIRUS GUIDELINE'S FOR AMERICA" postcard? He really called it that? Like, it's from President Trump? He put his fucking name on this shit? What an egomaniacal shitlord. It really is all about him all the time.

What a fucking goober.

Yeah my Parent's got that too.

That dean is hilariously tone deaf, but seriously, fuck them kids. Half my spring semester senior year was gone because a Scottish separatist called in over 100 bomb threats on campus, and we didn't even have the opportunity to do online classes, just term papers. If you still have access to the instruction then you are getting exactly what you paid for.

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When Students at NYU TIsch sent an email to their Dean asking for some of their money back because they had to take online classes and that's not what they paid for, she replied with this:

My fiancé’s school is offering refunds if you don’t want to do the online courses, AND, you’ll also get to sign up for the course next semester at no charge. However, if you continue via the online course, you get nothing extra.

9 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Like seriously, give me one reason, ONE FUCKING REASON, why I should be hopeful about anything anymore.

Because for all our shitiness, humans always over come. We lie, cheat, steal, and abuse one another and there is that side of mankind, but we also dream and continue to evolve and reach for greater things. Music, culture, the sciences, friendships and love, these count too! There is plenty of good in the world, it just sits along side plenty of bad. Earth is ever the grab bag my friend! 

47 minutes ago, Chris- said:

That dean is hilariously tone deaf, but seriously, fuck them kids. Half my spring semester senior year was gone because a Scottish separatist called in over 100 bomb threats on campus, and we didn't even have the opportunity to do online classes, just term papers. If you still have access to the instruction then you are getting exactly what you paid for.

No you don't. You pay for equipment fees and first year students are required to play for a meal plan that they ARE NOT USING. I know this because my niece is in her first year of school and I am helping to pay her tuition. I don't know where you went to school or what you went to school for, but online classes at NYU for the arts are not the same as taking in person classes and it isn't the same value. The only reason I went to film school was for access to equipment I wouldn't have had access to otherwise. That's it. Nowadays for film students at least, the cost barrier for equipment isn't as prohibitive as it was when I was in school so buying a camera and learning on your own may make more sense than going to a four year college, but paying for college involves a lot more than simply "paying for instruction" especially for first years students and some of those fees and costs should be refunded if students are forced to take online courses.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No you don't. You pay for equipment fees and first year students are required to play for a meal plan that they ARE NOT USING. I know this because my niece is in her first year of school and I am helping to pay her tuition. I don't know where you went to school or what you went to school for, but online classes at NYU for the arts are not the same as taking in person classes and it isn't the same value. The only reason I went to film school was for access to equipment I wouldn't have had access to otherwise. That's it. Nowadays for film students at least, the cost barrier for equipment isn't as prohibitive as it was when I was in school so buying a camera and learning on your own may make more sense than going to a four year college, but paying for college involves a lot more than simply "paying for instruction" especially for first years students and some of those fees and costs should be refunded if students are forced to take online courses.

I’m talking purely about tuition; for stuff like meal plans, activity fees, etc., I certainly think it’s reasonable to expect that money back. 

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I’m talking purely about tuition; for stuff like meal plans, activity fees, etc., I certainly think it’s reasonable to expect that money back. 

Well that's what the kids in that article are talking about so... and BTW it's not just that school. Another friend told me his son's school isn't giving refunds for his room and board even though they sent the kid home. THAT'S what people are talking about here and it's going to be an issue for these schools moving forward.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well that's what the kids in that article are talking about so... and BTW it's not just that school. Another friend told me his son's school isn't giving refunds for his room and board even though they sent the kid home. THAT'S what people are talking about here and it's going to be an issue for these schools moving forward.

There wasn’t an article, just the tweet and your comment saying they wanted a refund since they weren’t getting what they paid for because the classes were online now.

If their contention is that there are a bunch of ancillary fees to attend but that they no longer have access to and the school won’t refund those things, sure, that’s fair.

Here is the article I got the Tweet from which further explains what the students are talking about... which I thought would be self evident since most of us here went to college and paid a lot of these fees

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyu-tischs-students-want-tuition-fee-back-amid-coronavirus-shutdown-dean-responds-with-dance-video/2346626/?fbclid=IwAR1ApQDr4uKIYxE-WGswQhTa_fKqdHUzIo-AuLLTY4pfKXjPUn21dHFDe14

A year's tuition at Tisch costs about $58,552 (it's arguably a lot more when you consider other fees) and most of the students at the private and prestigious art school require hands-on education. The school informed students that it would not be reimbursing tuition fees even though they were forced to move to remote learning due to the spread of COVID-19

"I am personally upset that we are being denied access to this equipment and facilities and still being charged the same amount for what is admittedly by the university a lower quality education," Price said

Students have started an online petition to call for partial tuition reimbursement which now has over 2,200 signatures and the situation has gotten the attention of some famous alumni.

So there you go.  BTW NYU is one of the largest owners of Real Estate in Manhattan... they can easily afford to refund some of these kids' money.

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Here is the article I got the Tweet from which further explains what the students are talking about... which I thought would be self evident since most of us here went to college and paid a lot of these fees

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyu-tischs-students-want-tuition-fee-back-amid-coronavirus-shutdown-dean-responds-with-dance-video/2346626/?fbclid=IwAR1ApQDr4uKIYxE-WGswQhTa_fKqdHUzIo-AuLLTY4pfKXjPUn21dHFDe14

So there you go.  BTW NYU is one of the largest owners of Real Estate in Manhattan... they can easily afford to refund some of these kids' money.

Just because you’re loaded with assets doesn’t mean you have readily available liquid at any given moment. 

102 year old Italian woman recovers from the Corona virus.

Doctors say her case impressed them so much that they decided to study it deeper.

"We got serological samples, she is the first patient we know that might have gone through the ‘Spanish flu’ since she was born in 1917," Sicbaldi explained, referring to the 1918/1919 flu pandemic that killed at least 50 million people worldwide, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

• Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, Comet said:

Just because you’re loaded with assets doesn’t mean you have readily available liquid at any given moment. 

Not the point... They're not saying they aren't giving refunds right now. They're saying they aren't giving refunds PERIOD. My point about the real estate ownership is that NYU is VERY wealthy and can afford to partially refund some of these students fees. 

11 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I saw this last night. The 1918 Flu stuff is very interesting.