~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wow. After pressure from the third-place NDP (social democrats), the Liberal government is pushing forward with a second major aid bill. This one will subsidize small business payroll up to 75% to keep people employed, and will make CERB ($2,000 emergency income replacement) non-taxable.

The NDP is now pressuring them to give CERB to everyone as  universal income, not just those who only lost their jobs as of Mar 15:

I just came to post about this. The 75% increase is freaking amazing and far more than I would have expected. The previous 10% was barely going to do anything. This will be very helpful for my small startup to extend out our runway (our timelines got messed up over COVID-19 and planning for a marketing push at Disconnect conference).

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reports-135-new-covid-19-cases-three-new-deaths-case-count-climbs-to-993-1.4871001

Ontario updates are a little better than yesterday. We went from 170 to 135 cases and the testing backlog didn't grow (it's been growing by about a thousand a day for a while). Sadly 3 new deaths and reports of many people in a nursing home testing positive (so many more to come). :(

3 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

So my dad just heard from a customer of ours. This customer has a neighbor. The neighbor got back from a New Orleans vacation a few weeks ago. She just tested positive for coronavirus. She had been working her day job at a pharmacy inside a grocery store the last 2 weeks... 

People's ignorance and selfishness is going to get so many people killed from this. -.-

3 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

So my dad just heard from a customer of ours. This customer has a neighbor. The neighbor got back from a New Orleans vacation a few weeks ago. She just tested positive for coronavirus. She had been working her day job at a pharmacy inside a grocery store the last 2 weeks... 

This is why we can't "open up" portions of the country that haven't been infected yet.  Because they will end up getting infected too.  

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

God, Jesus fuck, I can't even listen to this fucking monster talk about any fucking thing for more than 10 seconds without wanting to go on a fucking murder spree. How can ANYONE fucking take anything he says seriously? How can a serious adult person listen to this man talk and not have all of their internal bullshit meters max out instantly? Can people not recognize what a fucking shuckster sounds like? Do they not know the difference between what a knowledgeable person and a person who is full of shit sounds like? How can anyone take anything this man says ever about anything seriously? How is that possible? How far up your own ass would one have to be to consider him a serious source of information about any god damned fucking thing at all? How do you reach adulthood without the ability to instantly recognize that someone who talks like Donald Trump has no idea what they are talking about? It fucking boggles my mind. I seriously can't wrap my head around how fucking dumb, ignorant or willfully evil you would have to be to accept this fucking dude as your leader.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

• Like 1

Bolsonaro's anti-science response to coronavirus appals Brazil's governors

Top Brazilian politicians from across the political spectrum have warned that Jair Bolsonaro is putting thousands of lives at risk with what they called his reckless, paranoid, anti-scientific and belligerent response to the coronavirus.

In a series of scathing interviews – conducted as 26 of Brazil’s 27 state governors convened an emergency meeting to discuss Bolsonaro’s behaviour – regional chiefs told the Guardian they feared the far-right leader was sowing confusion over the need for quarantine and social distancing measures, and wasting precious time setting political bonfires to energize his radical base.

7 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

omg

Italy has yet to hit coronavirus peak, lockdown set to be extended

Italy has reported 8,215 deaths from the illness, more than anywhere else in the world, while confirmed cases total 80,539, with latest data from Thursday showing no let up in new infections, stifling hopes of a possible turnaround.

“We haven’t reached the peak and we haven’t passed it,” the chief of the Superior Health Institute, Silvio Brusaferro, told reporters, adding that there were however “signs of a slowdown” in the numbers of people becoming infected.

Today's data from Italy:

+5,959 new positive cases (total 86,498)
+969 new deaths (total 9,134) - this is highest daily fatality rate globally since the epidemic began
+589 new recoveries (total 10,950)

• Sad 2

Spain reports 769 new deaths but says daily rise stabilising

Spain's death toll from the coronavirus rose by 769 overnight to 4,858, but a senior health official said the daily increase in the number of deaths was stabilising.  Spain is second only to Italy in the number of coronavirus deaths worldwide, and the number of people infected in the country rose overnight to 64,059 from 56,188 on Thursday.

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Hey guys, is it safe to say that this wouldn’t have happened under the Kaine presidency?

(because let’s be honest, Hillary would have been impeached and removed from office by 2018)

You literally just needed someone who wouldn't go out of their way to get in the way of the experts.

47 minutes ago, ort said:

God, Jesus fuck, I can't even listen to this fucking monster talk about any fucking thing for more than 10 seconds without wanting to go on a fucking murder spree. How can ANYONE fucking take anything he says seriously? How can a serious adult person listen to this man talk and not have all of their internal bullshit meters max out instantly? Can people not recognize what a fucking shuckster sounds like? Do they not know the difference between what a knowledgeable person and a person who is full of shit sounds like? How can anyone take anything this man says ever about anything seriously? How is that possible? How far up your own ass would one have to be to consider him a serious source of information about any god damned fucking thing at all? How do you reach adulthood without the ability to instantly recognize that someone who talks like Donald Trump has no idea what they are talking about? It fucking boggles my mind. I seriously can't wrap my head around how fucking dumb, ignorant or willfully evil you would have to be to accept this fucking dude as your leader.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Yeah, but if you're rich then he might make your taxes go down, so really you kind of have to vote for him.