~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Whatever that Tweet is, its unavailable now.

A draft letter for a hospital in Michigan (to be posted on the door) basically stating that they are nearing capacity, and if your loved one has a worse chance than someone else, then they will be given pain medication to make dying easier, but no effort will be made to save them (except worded much more diplomatically). Author of tweet has taken it down until he can get it officially confirmed, it was shared out by doctors there.

• Sad 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-52045958

A man suspected of planning to attack a hospital treating coronavirus cases in the US state of Missouri died after a shootout with the FBI, officials say.

The confrontation happened as agents tried to arrest the 36-year-old in the city of Belton as part of a domestic terrorism investigation, the FBI said.

Officials said the man was motivated by racist and anti-government beliefs.

He had allegedly considered a range of targets before settling on the hospital because of the current outbreak.

The suspect, identified by authorities as Timothy R Wilson, had been under surveillance for months, which revealed him to be a "potentially violent extremist" who had expressed racial and religious hatred, the FBI said in a statement.

Wilson had previously considered attacking a school with a large number of black students, a mosque and a synagogue, according to the FBI.

He reportedly decided to target the unidentified hospital after authorities in Belton, located in the Kansas City area, told residents to stay at home in an attempt to stem the coronavirus spread.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/middleeast/jordan-lockdown-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Jordan on Wednesday eased one of the world's strictest lockdowns over the coronavirus after it prompted chaotic scenes in the country.

Days after a total curfew went into effect, people clamored to receive bread distributions from government trucks, the emergency hotline went offline after it apparently became overloaded with phone calls, and some reported they had nothing at home to eat.

But on Tuesday, the government backtracked, loosening restrictions on movement. After four days of total lockdown, people were allowed to leave their homes on foot for essential trips, such as purchasing food from small convenient stores and obtaining medicine. A curfew is still in place from 6 p.m. to 10 a.m.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

A draft letter for a hospital in Michigan (to be posted on the door) basically stating that they are nearing capacity, and if your loved one has a worse chance than someone else, then they will be given pain medication to make dying easier, but no effort will be made to save them (except worded much more diplomatically). Author of tweet has taken it down until he can get it officially confirmed, it was shared out by doctors there.

• Thanks 1

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/what-comes-before-a-curfew-in-india/articleshow/74791285.cms

As people rushed home and stocked up ahead of the lockdown, markets, bus stands, railway stations became potential clusters where novel coronavirus could burst out.
CROWD BEFORE THE LOCKDOWN
CHENNAI: The Koymabedu bus terminus was a nightmare on March 23. No one cared about social distancing, as thousands crowded the terminus pushing and shoving to board the few buses that were plying in their bid to leave the city before the lockdown from 6pm on Tuesday.
There were no trains on March 23, and as Tamil Nadu cut the usual 3,000 buses operated along 700-odd routes within the state by half, almost all the government buses were packed. Many women, children and the elderly were unable to board a bus even if they were willing to stand and travel. Men jumped into buses through the windows even before incoming passengers had got off.

“We can clearly see people are risking their lives. Even if one or two were affected by coronavirus, it will easily spread to thousands. The government is solely responsible for this. There is no way they could track patients in this chaos,” said V Prasanna, who ended up taking a taxi for Rs 6,000 to Thanjavur — his native place.
To clear the rush, Tamil Nadu transport minister M R Vijayabaskar announced that 100 Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) buses were diverted to ply to Trichy, Villupuram, Tiruvannamalai and other districts. Buses from other districts were also told to report to Chennai to transport more people out from Chennai.
Crowds thronged grocery and vegetable shops and markets as people fearing a lockdown were eager to stock up on supplies. While many went to the chicken and fish shops, several others were busy buying sacks of rice.
“I usually don’t get people asking for sacks of rice but today we have had many customers,” says Mohan, a trader. “People are stocking up because they fear a shutdown.” Though social distancing is the need of the hour, none of the shoppers seemed aware of the gravity of the situation.

74792913.jpg?pl=74792913

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/27/coronavirus-latest-news/#link-7LE3MCBPUBA7XFGAZQKQBKCAPQ

A Detroit area health system has developed a contingency plan to deny ventilators and intensive care treatment to coronavirus patients with a poor chance of surviving, including those with some preexisting medical conditions.

Details of the plan were listed on a draft letter from Henry Ford Health Systems to families that circulated on social media late on Thursday, though the company later clarified that it has not yet needed to implement the policy.

“With a pandemic, we must be prepared for worst case,” the health system said on Twitter. “With collective wisdom from our industry, we crafted a policy to provide guidance for making difficult patient care decisions. We hope never to have to apply them. We will always utilize every resource to care for our patients.”

Henry Ford, which runs six hospitals in Michigan, did not immediately respond to a request from The Washington Post.

According to the letter, Henry Ford hospitals would de-prioritize most patients with severe heart, lung kidney, or liver failure; terminal cancers; and severe trauma or burns. Any patient who does not improve with a ventilator or ICU care would also be pulled off those treatments and instead be given pain control measures.

“Some patients will be extremely sick and very unlikely to survive their illness even with critical treatment,” read the letter. “Treating these patients would take away resources for patients who might survive.”

As The Post’s Ariana Eunjung Cha reported, hospitals dealing with especially large outbreaks are weighing their standard approach — to save dying patients at all costs — against the risk that doing so would expose many more health workers to the virus and overwhelm the facility.

Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, among others, has been discussing a do-not-resuscitate policy. That directive would tell health workers not to perform CPR if an infected patient stops breathing or their heart stops beating.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/us/politics/coronavirus-ventilators-trump.amp.html%3f0p19G=3248

A deal with General Motors and Ventec Life Systems to produce tens of thousands of the critical lifesaving devices seemed imminent. Then the announcement was pulled back.

The White House had been preparing to reveal on Wednesday a joint venture between General Motors and Ventec Life Systems that would allow for the production of as many as 80,000 desperately needed ventilators to respond to an escalating pandemic when word suddenly came down that the announcement was off.

The decision to cancel the announcement, government officials say, came after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it needed more time to assess whether the estimated cost was prohibitive. That price tag was more than $1 billion, with several hundred million dollars to be paid upfront to General Motors to retool a car parts plant in Kokomo, Ind., where the ventilators would be made with Ventec’s technology.

Government officials said that the deal might still happen but that they are examining at least a dozen other proposals. And they contend that an initial promise that the joint venture could turn out 20,000 ventilators in short order had shrunk to 7,500, with even that number in doubt. Longtime emergency managers at FEMA are working with military officials to sort through the competing offers and federal procurement rules while under pressure to give President Trump something to announce.

By early Thursday evening, at the coronavirus task force’s regular news briefing, where the president often appears, there was still nothing to disclose, and the outcome of the deliberations remained unclear.

• Guillotine 4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/27/donald-trump-speaks-to-chinas-xi-jinping-on-coronavirus.html

China and the U.S. aim to work more closely together in light of the spread of the coronavirus, leaders of both countries said in a phone call Friday Beijing time.

U.S. President Donald Trump said in a tweet that he spoke with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping "in great detail" about the COVID-19 pandemic, which has so far killed more than 24,000 people globally. The U.S. overtook China overnight as the country with the most confirmed virus cases, data showed. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-live-news-update-world-lockdown-global-deaths-india-uk-us-australia-china-latest-updates

The US now has the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the world. Johns Hopkins University suggests the US now has more suspected and confirmed cases of Covid-19 than China with 82,404 reported in the US and 81,782 in China. Italy is third with 80,589.

The global number of confirmed cases of coronavirus has passed the half a million mark, according to the latest figures on the Johns Hopkins University global dashboard. The latest number of confirmed cases worldwide is 529,093.

Leaders of the G20 industrialised nations committed to do “whatever it takes” to minimise the social and economic damage of the world-wide pandemic. But a largely unspecific and uncontroversial joint communique set no specific commitments such as deferring debt repayment to the world’s poorest countries, as sought by the World Bank and the IMF.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/floyd-cardoz-chef-obit-coronavirus/index.html

World-renowned chef Floyd Cardoz died Wednesday in New Jersey at age 59. Cardoz had tested positive for coronavirus.

"It is with deep sorrow that we inform you of the passing away of Chef Floyd Cardoz," according to a statement from Hunger Inc. Hospitality, where Cardoz was the culinary director.

Cardoz tested positive for Covid-19 on March 18 and was being treated for it at Mountainside Medical Center in New Jersey, the statement said.

In a 2017 CBS interview, Cardoz explained how he ended up becoming a chef. "I wanted to be a biochemist. Then I read 'Hotel' by Arthur Hailey. This is so much fun, because I loved food growing up. Then I started cooking and realized I was really good at it."

Raised in Mumbai, India, Cardoz went to Les Roches culinary school in Switzerland before coming to New York City.

He was the executive chef at Tabla, the pioneering modern Indian restaurant he opened with Danny Meyer in 1998, earning him multiple accolades and critical acclaim. He later helmed Meyer's North End Grill, while he competed and won on Bravo's third season of "Top Chef Masters."

He later opened Pao Walla in New York City's Soho neighborhood, and followed that up with Bombay Bread Bar, which closed last year.

Cardoz also had restaurants in Mumbai -- Bombay Canteen, O Pedro and Bombay Sweet Shop.

So, I have about as much medical knowledge as I do political knowledge, but I got a question(s).

So, what about covid-19 is killing people? Like, I don't know exactly how heart failure works, but I mean, clearly the heart failed in some way. With covid-19 I just hear that people get sick and then they die. What about this is killing the doctors? Are they just working hard to the point that their body can't put up any kind of defense? I just want to understand what about this thing is causing deaths. 

Also, I have seen people grocery shopping in dust masks and blue latex gloves. But I am assuming they go home take off all of that stuff and then just touch the things they bought with their bare hands. Like, unless they disinfect everything or put everything in new containers, isn't all that stuff pointless? 

Also part 2, time to take the SFLUFAN name for myself :dab2:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SFLUFAN I also have just become aware of that link. 

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So, I have about as much medical knowledge as I do political knowledge, but I got a question(s).

So, what about covid-19 is killing people? Like, I don't know exactly how heart failure works, but I mean, clearly the heart failed in some way. With covid-19 I just hear that people get sick and then they die. What about this is killing the doctors? Are they just working hard to the point that their body can't put up any kind of defense? I just want to understand what about this thing is causing deaths. 

Also, I have seen people grocery shopping in dust masks and blue latex gloves. But I am assuming they go home take off all of that stuff and then just touch the things they bought with their bare hands. Like, unless they disinfect everything or put everything in new containers, isn't all that stuff pointless? 

Also part 2, time to take the SFLUFAN name for myself :dab2:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SFLUFAN I also have just become aware of that link. 

I'm no expert but my understanding is covid-19 essentially causes pneumonia and or ARDS (thus the critical need for thousands and thousands of ventilators) among other potential issues in severe cases. Having an additional comorbidity (asthma, COPD, cancer, etc) increases your chance of not being able to fight the virus infection.

The breathing masks from my understanding are that for asymptomatic carriers, it potentially limits transmission, I'm not sure how it would keep you from getting infected though because if you get the virus on your mouth and nose it's likely to also be in your (unprotected) eyes as well.

Gloves are fine, but need to be changed frequently, but because of a shortage, these should be in the hands of medical professionals if you have unopened boxes. Same for N95 masks.

Best you can do is stay at home as much as possible, clean frequently used surfaces, wash your hands frequently, and don't touch your eyes nose or mouth with unwashed hands. As for groceries, there was a Twitter thread about it a page or two ago, but do not use soap and water on fruits and veggies, and I'd recommend (personally) wiping down boxes and plastic that come into your house.

• Like 3