~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/02/29/1918-flu-coronavirus-trump/

“They [the Trump administration] are clearly trying to put the best possible gloss on things, and are trying to control information,” said John M. Barry, author of “The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History,” in a phone interview with The Washington Post.

When the second wave of Spanish flu hit globally, “there was outright censorship” in Europe, Barry said. “In the United States, they didn’t quite do that, but there was intense pressure not to say anything negative.”

The CPI released thousands of positive stories about the war effort, and newspapers often republished them verbatim. So when the Spanish flu spread across the United States in the fall of 1918, both the government and the media continued the same rosy strategy “to keep morale up.”

President Woodrow Wilson released no public statements. Surgeon General Rupert Blue said, “There is no cause for alarm if proper precautions are observed.” Another top health official, Barry said, dismissed it as “ordinary influenza by another name.”

But it wasn’t. The Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2 percent — much higher than seasonal influenza strains, and similar to some early estimates about the coronavirus.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

My wife and I are both on edge. We live about 20 minutes from where the Oregon case was reported yesterday, and we have a 1 year old son.

Also my mother-in-law is a teacher in one of the counties the person was said to have visited.

I wouldn’t panic too quickly over your 1 year old. Children were not overly affected in China and in many cases weren’t getting sick from it (if I remember correctly). The virus is mostly impacting the elderly and those with severe pre-existing health issues.

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I wouldn’t panic too quickly over your 1 year old. Children were not overly affected in China and in many cases weren’t getting sick from it (if I remember correctly). The virus is mostly impacting the elderly and those with severe pre-existing health issues.

That's good to know. Between the measles outbreak last year, and now COVID-19, it's been a helluva year in the NW.

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Trump says the recent victim was a woman in her late 50s considered a medically high risk patient.

We'll see what parts of that get corrected later. 

4 in serious condition

15 either recovering or recovered

Including the death that adds up to 20, but he said 22 confirmed cases.