~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52029391

Award-winning playwright Terrence McNally has died in Florida of complications from coronavirus, according to his husband Tom Kirdahy.

The four-time Tony winner, 81, was known for his thoughtful chronicles of gay life, homophobia, love and AIDS.

McNally was a lung cancer survivor and had lived with a chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder.

One of America's great playwrights, he wrote more than three dozen plays in his nearly 60-year career.

Beginning on Broadway in 1963, McNally still had his name up in lights until last year's revival of his play Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune, starring Audra McDonald.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52017834

Dibango - best known for his 1972 hit Soul Makossa - is one of the first global stars to die from Covid-19.

The 86-year-old fused jazz and funk music with traditional sounds from his home country, Cameroon.

He collaborated with numerous artists over a long career, including US pianist Herbie Hancock and Nigeria's Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti.

The Cameroonian musician filed a lawsuit in 2009 saying Michael Jackson had stolen a hook from his song, Soul Makossa, for two tracks on the world's best-selling album, Thriller. Jackson settled the case out of court.

“It is with deep sadness that we announce you the loss of Manu Dibango, our Papy Groove,” a statement on his official Facebook page read.

His funeral will take place in “strict privacy”, the statement read, asking instead for people to send condolences by email and adding that a tribute will be arranged “when possible”.

Top African musicians Angelique Kidjo and Youssou Ndour have led the tributes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/25/coronavirus-latest-news/#link-OKMNKH3VBJFPJJC33YSQ5FVSHE

With the United States on track to become the next epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, Senate leaders and the Trump administration reached agreement early Wednesday on a $2 trillion stimulus package to rescue the economy, as national debate raged over the duration and severity of restrictions aimed at containing the pandemic.

Hopes of agreement in Washington had buoyed markets in Asia on Wednesday, following huge gains on Wall Street. The deal on the stimulus measures sets the stage for a likely swift vote in Congress on Wednesday.

7 minutes ago, ort said:

Details seem to not be out. Sounds like every working person making less than 100k gets $1200 bucks and kids are worth $500 each.

$1200/individual up to 75k, 2400/family up to $150k, kids are $500 each. One time payment. From what I've seen reported thus far.

I'm sure the per person isn't enough, and the bailouts are too generous and don't get equity

2 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

So a one time payment to cover a year or more long issues seems completely rational.

An additional $600/month in unemployment for 4 months, in addition to what the states do, and increase in snap benefits as well. Again, all based on write ups from last night

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Federal unemployment also up to 600 more on top of state unemployment for the next 4 months.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

An additional $600/month in unemployment for 4 months, in addition to what the states do, and increase in snap benefits as well. Again, all based on write ups from last night

That’s more reasonable 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/us/connecticut-party-coronavirus-exposure/index.html

About 40 people who attended a farewell party in Connecticut in early March were exposed to Covid-19 after a partygoer was confirmed to have the virus, three local Connecticut officials confirmed to CNN.

The town of Westport now has 79 cases, the most of any Connecticut municipality, according to local officials. In Fairfield County, the surrounding county, there are 384 confirmed cases, more than half of Connecticut's total number of cases.

The party serves as a stark example how quickly coronavirus spreads in crowded areas, and the role asymptomatic people can play in disseminating the disease. It also foreshadowed the warnings of public health officials that came in the following days.

"To some extent, Westport is a cautionary tale, or a harbinger of what's to come," Connecticut State Senator Will Haskell said. "I hope the 168 other towns in Connecticut see what happens in Westport and act accordingly."

So if my employer provides health insurance for my entire family and I lose my job, are they doing anything about that?

$600 extra a month doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you have a major medical emergency after being laid off. Are they doing anything about that?

30 minutes ago, ort said:

So if my employer provides health insurance for my entire family and I lose my job, are they doing anything about that?

$600 extra a month doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you have a major medical emergency after being laid off. Are they doing anything about that?

You are a sacrifice to The Line, and your family will be remembered fondly by its servants, the Brokers and the Pundits.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Are their extensions for people on and nearing the end of their benefits or who have exhausted their benefits? They are obviously not going to be finding a job in their field soon

I didn't realize just how dire the situation was in NYC until talking to my friend this morning. He and his wife are stuck in their apartment and he is pretty sure they both have coronavirus. Neither can get a test right now. They are only testing people needing hospitalization right now. Ugh.

• Sad 1

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reports-100-new-covid-19-cases-bringing-provincial-total-to-688-1.4867566

Welp, Ontario (Canada) is now reporting numbers in the triple digit category with 100 new cases today. Yesterday was 85. The death total also rises to 9 now (they've all been from the elderly population). Community spreading is starting to take over as well. :(

https://www.cp24.com/news/community-spread-becoming-main-cause-of-covid-19-infection-in-canada-tam-1.4866315

Probably the worse news was of a passenger on flight last week lying about their symptoms so she wouldn't be denied on the flight. I really hope this person gets fined and jail time over that (Selfish fuck). :|

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/how-sick-canadian-travellers-are-masking-covid-19-symptoms-to-get-through-airport-screening-1.5508276

• Guillotine 1

My therapist sent me back to work. I don't mind feeling better was just really stressed out about my mom. I am working from home and I have to say corporate america needs to look into the morale boosting effects of RGB. They gave me my workstation, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I am just using my own equipment though. My corsair headset had shown me that Avaya is the biggest POS VOIP service I use. The quality is so bad. We might as well use discord. 

On a darker note I am worried because this crisis has paralyzed health care. My mom had a biopsy done and the oncologist still hasn't recieved the results back. 

22 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

My therapist sent me back to work. I don't mind feeling better was just really stressed out about my mom. I am working from home and I have to say corporate america needs to look into the morale boosting effects of RGB. They gave me my workstation, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I am just using my own equipment though. My corsair headset had shown me that Avaya is the biggest POS VOIP service I use. The quality is so bad. We might as well use discord. 

On a darker note I am worried because this crisis has paralyzed health care. My mom had a biopsy done and the oncologist still hasn't recieved the results back. 

RGB?

I've been in the same place with my mom recently. She had surgery and is ok. Wishing you the best. 

26 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I hope your mom will be ok.

28 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

lol avaya is so bad and cumbersome internally too

1 hour ago, Jose said:

I didn't realize just how dire the situation was in NYC until talking to my friend this morning. He and his wife are stuck in their apartment and he is pretty sure they both have coronavirus. Neither can get a test right now. They are only testing people needing hospitalization right now. Ugh.

That's the reality pretty much everywhere in the States. Unless you're rich and connected, you aren't getting tested unless your life is on the line.

If anyone watches the YouTube channel Binging with Babish, the host of that channel along with his fiancee are in the same boat.

As I mentioned previously, my wife is also in the same boat and because of her I'm not allowed in my office in the event that I'm needed. Like, for instance, the very real fact that one of our servers has bad RAM that needs to be replaced but I can't go in to do that.