~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haaretz.com/amp/world-news/spain-coronavirus-death-toll-1.8705388

The number of new coronavirus cases in Spain jumped on Tuesday to 39,673 from 33,089 cases registered on Monday, the health ministry reported on Tuesday.

The number of fatalities rose to 2,696 overnight from 2,182, the ministry said.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-24-20-intl-hnk/index.html

Ice rink in Spain turned into morgue: The bodies of Covid-19 victims are being delivered to the Palacio de Hielo, which is being used as a temporary morgue in Madrid. The regional government said it was a “temporary" measure to ease pressure on hospitals in Spain, which has more deaths than any other country other than China and Italy.

11 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I think pols like this and Trump are just straight-up gambling that the epidemiologists are just wrong and that easing the shutdown won’t significantly ‘unbend the curve’, or if it does, the virus peters out quick enough that they’re not blamed for making things worse.

They’re thinking that, even with several stimulus packages, several months of this kind of shutdown probably kills off most small businesses in the country and puts us in Great Depression territory, and the opposition will capitalize on the resultant discontent.  And on the latter point they could be right.

This is what happens when A.) social media’s empowering of conspiracy bubble-worlds and hyper-partisanship undermine faith in the authority of experts, who are by necessity part of ‘the establishment’, and B.) you install too many complete narcissists into office.

The irony is that we should all be praying that they’re right, despite their absolute fuckery, and that the medical community is wrong—because if they’re not, and they get their way and ease the lockdown measures too soon, we’re likely in for a bloodbath...

https://screenrant.com/harvey-weinstein-tests-positive-coronavirus/

Imprisoned producer Harvey Weinstein has reportedly tested positive for the coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19. The 68-year-old is serving time in jail after being convicted for rape. He joins the very short list of famous names publicly known to have contracted the coronavirus in the last two weeks. Actor Tom Hanks revealed a positive diagnosis earlier this month, and Idris Elba did the same. Hanks has since posted a positive update on his status.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

The irony is that we should all be praying that they’re right, despite their absolute fuckery, and that the medical community is wrong—because if they’re not, and they get their way and ease the lockdown measures too soon, we’re likely in for a bloodbath...

Actually, hard disagree.

Not because it won't be bad, but if they're right and with all this information the health experts are way off, that doesn't bode well for an infinite number of other things we "know" about health, medicine and diseases.

23 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Actually, hard disagree.

Not because it won't be bad, but if they're right and with all this information the health experts are way off, that doesn't bode well for an infinite number of other things we "know" about health, medicine and diseases.

Fair enough—I was talking in the very short-term.  Long-term...yeah, it would be very very very bad.

31 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

you install too many complete narcissists into office

It's not that they are narcissists, every politician is to some degree, but that they are complete and total fucking morons, and intelligence/listening to experts is not a value prized by the right.

26 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Actually, hard disagree.

And also what this will say/do for any fight against climate change. "They said I was wrong on the Chinese virus, so why should we listen to the so called experts on the global warming hoax?!?"

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Actually, hard disagree.

:notsure: So you're saying you're AGAINST Trumpology?! 

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And also what this will say/do for any fight against climate change. "They said I was wrong on the Chinese virus, so why should we listen to the so called experts on the global warming hoax?!?"

Oh yes, I didn't even think about this one!

https://news.yahoo.com/friend-coronavirus-police-north-india-134322156.html

Police in India's northern city of Meerut are making citizens who break its lockdown hold up signs reading, "I am a friend of coronavirus," or "I am the enemy of society," before posting their pictures on Twitter.

Most of India, which had 482 infections and nine deaths by Tuesday, is under lockdown to curb the spread of the virus, including Meerut, in the most populous state of Uttar Pradesh.

Mosque worker Mohammad Alim, 40, said he took a widow and her three sons to a police station in the city on his motorbike on Monday night to report an altercation with neighbors.

"When I reached the police-station, the inspector handed me that shaming sign and clicked my picture," Alim told Reuters.

"I feel scared. I do not know who to complain to now," added Alim, who also accused officers of verbally abusing him.

Meerut police tweeted a picture of Alim holding a sign that read "I am a friend of coronavirus" with the caption, "Some people do not care about society's safety."

The police Twitter feed had nine more similar pictures, with comments in Hindi, including, "I do not believe in the law of the country" and "I do not care about my family or society."