~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Not directly related to the last post, but something that really tripped me out was seeing an infectious disease doctor explain that the existence of variants in the US are not all imported from the places they are first found, that many and maybe most seeding of those variants happened the the same mutation occurring independently in different nations. Maybe that is obvious to you guys, but it didn’t occur to me that such a thing could occur.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Not directly related to the last post, but something that really tripped me out was seeing an infectious disease doctor explain that the existence of variants in the US are not all imported from the places they are first found, that many and maybe most seeding of those variants happened the the same mutation occurring independently in different nations. Maybe that is obvious to you guys, but it didn’t occur to me that such a thing could occur.

From my understanding, the RNA for SARS-CoV-2 is very simple, and there are only a limited number of mutations that can occur (almost all on the spike protein). So with the virus replicating trillions or quadrillions of times across the planet in the last year, it's very feasible that the same mutation could have occurred and survived in multiple places. The good news is that the core part of the virus seems to not be able to change, much, which allows for long-term t-cell immunity to be stronger.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
1619809922400.png
WWW.AXIOS.COM

Some people are just waiting until they get around to getting it.

what the heck is there to wait and see

I actually managed to convince someone in my local subreddit to go get a shot today after arguing back and forth for a few days...he also wanted to "wait and see." I managed to approach him in a friendly way and say while I understood his concerns, here was some research showing they weren't true, etc.

The fact of the matter is that we don't know the long term health effects of Covid or the vaccines, but there is reason to believe even a mild Covid case carries more long term health risks than the vaccines do. I think that is the sort of messaging we desperately need the government, and sadly, conservative celebrity types to aggressively push.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Damn, my province just announced we've vaccinated 82% of people 60+, and 64% of people 40+ (43% overall for 18+). The uptake has been incredible, here. My province is a big piece of turd, but somehow it's done the vaccination rollout better than anywhere else in Canada.

Were initial qualifications looser? That's like the one thing red states have gotten right, even though it was almost certainly by accident.

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Damn, my province just announced we've vaccinated 82% of people 60+, and 64% of people 40+ (43% overall for 18+). The uptake has been incredible, here. My province is a big piece of turd, but somehow it's done the vaccination rollout better than anywhere else in Canada.

Basically an analogue for the US as a whole, then.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The fact of the matter is that we don't know the long term health effects of Covid or the vaccines, but there is reason to believe even a mild Covid case carries more long term health risks than the vaccines do. I think that is the sort of messaging we desperately need the government, and sadly, conservative celebrity types to aggressively push.

I feel like this is wildly understating the safety of the vaccine vs acquired infection even in mild cases.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Were initial qualifications looser? That's like the one thing red states have gotten right, even though it was almost certainly by accident.

Yes. The only category was age. It started (Phase I) with 80+ and hospital workers. Since then it's dropped by a year or two every few days. This week they also allowed front-line workers of certain categories to book, even if they were below 40 (teachers, firefighters, etc). This is also first-dose only, of course. But we should be able to get 80% of adults fully vaccinated (both doses) by mid July, possibly exceeding the US (mostly based on a lower hesitancy).

The people still being angry about masks are the people who haven't been wearing any to begin with. If I'm not smoking a cigarette, I don't even notice my mask is on a lot of the time. The other night I kept my mask on for hours after I got home from work without realizing it.

People are just little babies.

So, FUCK’EM and anyone in such a anti-masker group. Someone should drive around with a bunch of nurses and a cooler of preloaded J&J syringes. While they aren’t looking, jab the fuckers with a needle. 

“Haha, you got a Covid shot . . . and possibly a blood clot” and leave them before the 15 minutes are up and *hope for the best 

*hope* is subjective in this case. Leave it up to you on whether this means immunity or possible death for them assholes. Hey some dead Covid culture would be in the J&J shot. Can we say they died of Covid instead?

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Apparently they were just a bunch of weak quitters, it's not even dark yet. Pussies. No need to engage with them.

I wasn't going to engage them. I was just going to park my car with the key in and blast Aborted at max volume. 

Just now, Jason said:

I wasn't going to engage them. I was just going to park my car with the key in and blast Aborted at max volume. 

I just mean like they were protesting during working hours on a weekday and as soon as someone told them to kill themselves they took their ball and went home, because they're snowflakes.

We fucking stood up to tear gas and plain clothes abductions. It's basically the most white people protest ever.

Fucking weak. Grow some balls and actually protest about what you believe, not just when your kids are at school, you fucking idiot mooks.

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

I just mean like they were protesting during working hours on a weekday and as soon as someone told them to kill themselves they took their ball and went home, because they're snowflakes.

We fucking stood up to tear gas and plain clothes abductions. It's basically the most white people protest ever.

Fucking weak. Grow some balls and actually protest about what you believe, not just when your kids are at school, you fucking idiot mooks.

They shifted from the school to a county supervisor's house. I used one of the street signs in a video to narrow down where they were but I drove the whole street and didn't see anything.