~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Coronavirus: more cases and second death reported in China

More cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the Chinese city of Wuhan and a second person has died, according to local authorities. It comes as disease-modelling experts warned that far more people may have been affected by the previously unknown virus than thought.

The Wuhan municipal health commission said in a statement that four patients diagnosed with pneumonia on Thursday were in a stable condition, taking the total number of cases to nearly 50. The statement released in the early hours on Saturday is the first confirmation of new cases by the commission in nearly a week.

On Friday, the commission announced the second death from the virus. A 69-year-old man was admitted to hospital with abnormal renal function and severe damage to multiple organs, and died on 15 January, the commission said.

Preliminary lab tests cited by state media showed the pathogen could be from a new type of coronavirus, a large family of viruses that can cause infections ranging from the common cold to deadly severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars).

Case of mystery Sars-like illness found outside China for first time

World Health Organization disease-modelling experts based at Imperial College, London, said that far more people may have been infected and they warned human-to-human transmission could not be ruled out.

Prof Neil Ferguson and colleagues, from the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis at Imperial, calculated that the number of cases in Wuhan may be more than 1,700. “It is likely that the Wuhan outbreak of a novel coronavirus has caused substantially more cases of moderate or severe respiratory illness than currently reported,” they said in a report.

I was wondering what they were talking about on my local news. Same screening/training happening at Toronto Pearson Airport  in order to avoid I guess a potential SARS 2.0 outbreak. I guess I better be careful cause I’m not too far away from there for work and have been in Toronto a lot these past few weeks

China confirms new corona virus transmitted by human-to-human contact

An outbreak of a new coronavirus has spread to more Chinese cities, including the capital Beijing and Shanghai, authorities said on Monday, and a fourth case has been reported beyond China’s borders.

China’s National Health Commission confirmed that the virus, which causes a type of pneumonia, can pass from person-to-person, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

President Xi Jinping said curbing the outbreak and saving lives was a top priority as the number of patients more than tripled and a third person died.

Adding to the difficulties of containing it, hundreds of millions of Chinese will be travelling domestically and abroad during the Lunar New Year holiday that starts this week.

Human-to-human transmission is a BIG deal, this is what caused so many problems with SARS.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

That's why I don't touch people, ew. 

If you limit that to not touching Chinese people then you should still be safe.

EDIT - How dangerous is this? I've seen that there are three deaths...but that could be in the same range as the common flu depending on the specifics of the victims and how many people have contracted it.

49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

EDIT - How dangerous is this? I've seen that there are three deaths...but that could be in the same range as the common flu depending on the specifics of the victims and how many people have contracted it.

I can ask my wife, but she's been at the CDC for 3 years and this is the first time that they've deployed anyone.

Edit - anyone from her team (DGMQ)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't think anyone knows how dangerous it is yet.  I think there are some very real concerns that it COULD become a serious problem.

45 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

CDC about to announce that the first US case has been identified.

@Iculus

Yeah, I may have quietly sat in on that conference call this morning. I was kicked out right after I heard that. (My wife is a contractor who works from home for the most part) Their morning calls are usually rather bland "what are you guys working on" type calls. They obviously have more important things to discuss at the moment. As soon as shit got real she made me leave lol

So, this could be a thing. There were 74 confirmed cases in China yesterday, and 300+ today. There are also either suspected or confirmed cases in South Korea, Australia, the Philippines, and Japan. (Sorry @Rodimus) It's new so the mortality rate is undetermined, but if it's anything like SARS there will certainly be some casualties. 

On top of that, Ebola has been mercing folks in the DRC for almost two years. What a time to be alive...

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I’m going to think bigger and hope that the one reported US case WAS Trump.

The Rs would just "Weekend at Bernie's" his ass because no one gives a shit anymore. Fox news would just play old rally footage on Hannity every night, and his mouth breathing supporters would go on believing all is well.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, legend said:

My entire research group is going, which is all distributed across the world, and one of the very points is for all of us to come together in person, so I think that option is out.

If you get a virus, we will hire the best unpaid university inters we can find to spin up a new cloud instance of your training model. :sun: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3