~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Even discounting the obesity epidemic, etc, this batch of generations is likely to be the sickest in centuries thanks to this.

“Likely” is completely made up. We have no idea.

Today I finally found a situation where even I was thinking "WTF seriously" when I was asked to go get a mask.

Went to get a PCR test today. It's in an open air parking lot and the guy who checks you in and gives you the swab is sitting in a little booth with a plexiglass window where he slides the test out to you through a little hole at waist height. I didn't say anything since his job is to spend all day being near people who are probably more likely than average to have COVID so I guess I get being a little jumpy, but then add on the fact that all he was wearing was a three ply surgical mask and it was hard to not feel like it was a bit much (like you care that much but aren't wearing a better mask?). I'd gotten out of my car without my mask since it's all outside and he made me go back to my car and get my mask before checking me in.

I went to my first party since COVID started 2 weeks ago.  2 couples at that party tested positive with COVID two days later.  Last Friday I had dinner with a friend, two days later him and his wife tested positive.  I used up my 2 freebie government tests this past two weeks, no COVID.

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
7176.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Severe undercounting undermines our efforts to ‘understand and get ahead of the virus’, researcher says after New York survey

I believe this. In the past two months, way more people in my personal and professional circles have mentioned having covid in the past two months compared to the rest of the pandemic, myself included. Fortunately, no one has had a serious case.

3 hours ago, Comet said:

Day 8, tested positive again even though I have felt great for many days now. 

I was probably testing positive for a solid week and a half after my symptoms died down.

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

I believe this. In the past two months, way more people in my personal and professional circles have mentioned having covid in the past two months compared to the rest of the pandemic, myself included. Fortunately, no one has had a serious case.

I was probably testing positive for a solid week and a half after my symptoms died down.

One of my friends who tested positive called the county health dept to report it and they said he was the first one to self report from a home test in 6 weeks.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

_125270178_gettyimages-468886952.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Dmitry Kovtun, one of two men the UK says were behind the poisoning, has died in Russia of Covid.

One of the main suspects in the murder of the former Russian spy and Kremlin critic, Alexander Litvinenko, has died of Covid-19.

Dmitry Kovtun was one of two men UK authorities say fatally poisoned Mr Litvinenko in London in 2006.

Mr Kovtun died at a hospital in the Russian capital Moscow, the Tass state news agency reported on Saturday.

Another suspect in the killing, Andrei Lugovoi, wrote on social media that his "faithful friend" had died.

Mr Litvinenko, a former KGB officer who became a British citizen and outspoken critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin, was poisoned with a radioactive substance at a London hotel where he had met the two men.

:halal::SARS-CoV-2::dab:

• Shocked 1

107014911-1644849236041-gettyimages-1231
WWW.CNBC.COM

Novavax's shot would be the fourth Covid vaccine authorized for use in the U.S. The shots use different technology than Pfizer and Moderna.

Novavax’s two-dose dose Covid-19 vaccine for adults ages 18 and older cleared a key step on the path toward Food and Drug Administration authorization on Tuesday.

The FDA’s committee of independent vaccine experts voted 21 to 0 with one abstention at the end of an all-day meeting to recommend authorizing the shot for use in the U.S. after an all-day public meeting in which it weighed safety and effectiveness data. The FDA usually follows the committee’s recommendations, though it is not obligated to do so. The agency could clear Novavax’s vaccine for distribution in the U.S. as soon as this week.

The Centers for Disease Control Prevention would still need to sign off on the shots before pharmacies and other health-care providers can start administering them to people.

Novavax’s shot would be the fourth Covid vaccine authorized for use in the U.S. and the first new one since the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was cleared in February 2021.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
107014911-1644849236041-gettyimages-1231
WWW.CNBC.COM

Novavax's shot would be the fourth Covid vaccine authorized for use in the U.S. The shots use different technology than Pfizer and Moderna.

But but doesn’t this cause us to Doubt the efficacy of our existing vaccine program???? :silly:

09-the-morning-lede-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The death rate for white Americans has recently exceeded the rates for Black, Latino and Asian Americans.

One of the defining characteristics of the pandemic's early stages was its disproportionate toll on Black and Latino Americans.

During Covid's early months in the U.S., the per capita death rate for Black Americans was almost twice as high as the white rate and more than twice as high as the Asian rate. The Latino death rate was in between, substantially lower than the Black rate but still above average.

"We're most vulnerable to this thing," Teresa Bradley, a nurse in Michigan, told The Times in 2020, after surviving a Covid hospitalization. When she was wheeled through the emergency room, she was pained to see that every other patient she saw there was also Black.

These large racial gaps seemed as if they might persist throughout the pandemic, especially because white and Asian Americans were initially quicker to receive vaccine shots. Black and Latino Americans, by contrast, had less convenient access to the shots and many were skeptical of them.

But these large racial gaps in vaccination have not continued — and as a result, neither have the gaps in Covid death rates.

Instead, Covid's racial gaps have narrowed and, more recently, even flipped. Over the past year, the Covid death rate for white Americans has been 14 percent higher than the rate for Black Americans and 72 percent higher than the Latino rate, according to the latest C.D.C. data.

Relatedly...

EurekAlert-bluebg_Twitter_601X601.png
WWW.EUREKALERT.ORG

Democratic areas saw greater improvements over the past two decades Findings build on previous evidence that more liberal policies, laws, and regulations may be associated with better health outcomes

Americans living in counties that voted Democratic during presidential elections from 2000 to 2016 experienced larger decreases in death rates than residents of counties that voted for a Republican candidate, finds a study published by The BMJ today.

The results show that the gap in overall death rates between Democratic and Republican counties increased more than sixfold from 2001 to 2019, especially for white populations, and was driven mainly by deaths due to heart disease, cancer, chronic lung disease, unintentional injuries, and suicide.

The researchers suggest that this widening gap may reflect the influence of political environments on social, economic, and health policies.

Between 2001 and 2019, mortality rates decreased by 22% in Democratic counties (from 850 to 664 per 100,000), but by only half that (11%) in Republican counties (from 867 to 771 per 100,000).

Consequently, the gap in mortality rates between Republican and Democratic counties jumped by 541%, from 16.7 per 100,000 in 2001 to 107 deaths per 100,000 in 2019. 

Over the study period, male and female residents of Democratic counties experienced both lower mortality rates and twice the relative decrease in mortality rates than their counterparts in Republican counties.

Black Americans experienced largely similar improvement in age adjusted mortality rates in both Democratic and Republican counties throughout the study period though residents of Democratic counties did appear to do better.

However, the mortality gap between white residents in Democratic versus Republican counties increased fourfold, from 25 to 101 per 100,000. As such, white residents in Democratic counties experienced 15% lower mortality rates in 2019 than white residents in Republican counties compared with just 3% in 2001.

Hispanic Americans had lower mortality rates than either white or black Americans, but there was little gap between those residing in Democratic versus Republican counties.

This data supports the premise of this book:

9781541644960.jpg?fit=500%2C750&w=640
WWW.BASICBOOKS.COM

A physician reveals how right-wing backlash policies have mortal consequences -- even for the white voters they promise to helpNamed one of the most anticipa...

• Like 1
  • Sicko 2

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
09-the-morning-lede-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The death rate for white Americans has recently exceeded the rates for Black, Latino and Asian Americans.

Relatedly...

EurekAlert-bluebg_Twitter_601X601.png
WWW.EUREKALERT.ORG

Democratic areas saw greater improvements over the past two decades Findings build on previous evidence that more liberal policies, laws, and regulations may be associated with better health outcomes

This data supports the premise of this book:

9781541644960.jpg?fit=500%2C750&w=640
WWW.BASICBOOKS.COM

A physician reveals how right-wing backlash policies have mortal consequences -- even for the white voters they promise to helpNamed one of the most anticipa...

Something something white genocide great replacement theory something something

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thewhyteboar said:

I forgot to put sunblock on my feet when I went on vacation 2 weeks ago. Rocking some nice tan lines from my sandals. 

I learned recently that not all umbrellas are UV rated and that explained the severe second degree sunburns my wife and I got a few years back.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

So happy I don't know what a sun burn feels like. Those don't look like fun. Worst I get is the more time I spend in the sun, the more likely I am to be harassed by cops.

I got one once but I think it was after I was at the beach under the sun for hours digging a hole. So it was just my back.

Seems like a good thing to try to keep COVID-positive people off planes, but in the scheme of things I'm not sure how much it's doing given no mask mandate on planes and no vaccine or testing requirements for domestic travel.

220121124817-us-workers-absenteism-airpo
WWW.CNN.COM

The Biden administration is expected to announce Friday that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will lift its requirement for travelers to test negative for Covid-19 before entering the US, according to a senior administration official and a US Centers For Disease Control and Prevention official.