~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

My friend stepped on a nail today (went right through) and is currently in the ER waiting for a tetanus shot. Expected wait time is...12+ hours. The ER is full, no sitting or standing room. Ambulances can't leave patients until they are admitted, so that means a dozen vehicles and crews just sitting there. Barebones staff. Women in extreme neck pain left and is driving to a hospital 2+ hours away.

One of our top doctors (head of a city's ER) just announced he is leaving the province and was very explicit about how it was due to the government's current handling of the pandemic (and how hospitalizations remain at all-time high, and staffing is all-time low). It's code red here but the government won't acknowledge it. Like...I'm scared to get in a car accident.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:
GettyImages-566071565-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Omicron's predilection for upper airway may pose unique risk to young children.

That what they’ve been talking about for the past week or so on the news for Ontario youth. It’s presenting like meningitis and was just recently linked to the latest variants of Omicron circulating out there 

56 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

We're way past the point where the CDC should be remotely concerned about "messaging".

The only message that needs to be conveyed should be "A new version of the vaccine is available if you want it."

That's it.  Nothing more.

But what if they confuse and/or upset the chuds who weren't gonna get vaccinated anyhow?

19virus-briefing-cdc-aip-facebookJumbo.j
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A third dose can enhance children’s immunity to the coronavirus, the C.D.C. panel said. But hesitancy is high, and fewer than one-third of children in this age group have received two doses.

Some poor pharmacists is going to have to turn down Jason after he attempts to convince them that he has a Benjamin Button-like syndrome. 

• Haha 1

I ordered my second round of gubbmit rapid tests and they all expire at the end of July. The tests I already had also expire at the end of July. So if you're good on your stock of at home rapid tests I'd wait until the end of July when they'll be forced to replace the tests with newer stock. 

10 hours ago, Jason said:

I ordered my second round of gubbmit rapid tests and they all expire at the end of July. The tests I already had also expire at the end of July. So if you're good on your stock of at home rapid tests I'd wait until the end of July when they'll be forced to replace the tests with newer stock. 

“Forced to” my man what makes you think they won’t just send out expired tests

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

If the US runs out of working tests then you guys can ship your bodily fluids my way and I will report back the results.

As a person who onetime worked for a company (Dynacorp) that processed the US census…

Gross GIF by Your Happy Workplace

38 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Pfizer.  Same for my first booster

I got kind of sleepy a few hours after #5 and then slept like 12 hours (set my alarm then got back into bed for three hours). The full Moderna is the only one that really truly kicked my ass. 

Mother.fucker.exe

I tested positive.  Again.

2 weeks ago, I tested positive and got sick enough it knocked me on my ass for a few days.  But I was prescribed the anti-viral Paxlovid and it helped my symptoms within a day of taking it.  I tested negative on the 16th and was able to return to work the next day.  

Our policy at work is that you have to test weekly regardless of symptoms, so I tested this morning and it came back positive.  WTF.  So I tested myself again and it was positive as well.  I'm asymptomatic though, which is good.

My wife was afraid that I might relapse, as a certain percentage of people who take Paxlovid have the infection come back.  Reading this article, I may be one of those lucky few!

But like I said, I don't really have any symptoms, and I otherwise feel fine.  So I guess I'll have to WFH the next few days. 

• Sad 2

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Mother.fucker.exe

I tested positive.  Again.

2 weeks ago, I tested positive and got sick enough it knocked me on my ass for a few days.  But I was prescribed the anti-viral Paxlovid and it helped my symptoms within a day of taking it.  I tested negative on the 16th and was able to return to work the next day.  

Our policy at work is that you have to test weekly regardless of symptoms, so I tested this morning and it came back positive.  WTF.  So I tested myself again and it was positive as well.  I'm asymptomatic though, which is good.

My wife was afraid that I might relapse, as a certain percentage of people who take Paxlovid have the infection come back.  Reading this article, I may be one of those lucky few!

But like I said, I don't really have any symptoms, and I otherwise feel fine.  So I guess I'll have to WFH the next few days. 

Isn't this like third time getting it?!?

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Isn't this like third time getting it?!?

No, not really.

My guess is that this is just me relapsing from the infection I had 2 weeks ago.  My theory is that the Paxlovid did a great job as an anti-viral - preventing replication of the virus and allowing me to get over feeling like shit.  But it also prevented my body from mounting the proper immune response to the virus.  So now the infection is back. 

My wife and daughter caught either Alpha or Delta last June, but I didn't, despite being in close contact the entire time they were positive.  My guess is that I had a lot of antibodies from both Moderna doses, which kept me protected.

Interestingly, both my wife and daughter have remained negative while I got COVID the last few weeks.  Either they transferred it to me and they were asymptomatic, or their infections from June gave them immunity to what I have now. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Thank you for confirming I am an alpha male with superb masculinity! 

In May 2002, after then-President Fernando Henrique Cardoso attended a pro-gay-marriage gathering, Bolsonaro said, "If I see two men kissing in the street, I will beat them."

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics