~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

Not dead. 

Still puking a little, and something is irritating my throat so it's been flooding itself with saliva trying to choke me out. Fever broke at 6am. I don't feel that bad right now. 

That's good to hear. Hopefully it continues to improve. 

We can only imagine what it would have been like for those who caught it if there wasn't a vaccine available. The fact that these vaccines turn it into a mild cold for most here is really quite a testament to how good they are. 

• Like 2

My doctor prescribed me Paxlovid yesterday, and I'm 2 doses in, and I'm feeling pretty good!  I'm sure a part of that is just naturally getting over the infection, but some of it may be from the effects of the antiviral medication.  It's pretty neat how it works.  My wife is the real MVP though, as she had to call all around town to a pharmacy that actually had it in stock so my doctor could send the prescription in.  

• Like 2

106970385-1635971050204-bid.jpg?v=163597
WWW.CNBC.COM

The license would help the World Health Organization work with manufacturers around the world to produce their own Covid-19 vaccines.

President Joe Biden on Thursday said the U.S. has licensed a key technology used in the current Covid-19 vaccines to the World Health Organization, which would allow manufacturers around the world to work with the global health agency to develop their own shots against the virus.

The National Institutes of Health has licensed its stabilized spike protein technology to the WHO and United Nations’ Medicines Patent Pool, Biden said.

The spike protein is the component in the vaccines that induces an immune response, prompting the body to fight the virus. The NIH technology holds the proteins in a configuration that allows them to produce a more potent immune response. The WHO and the Medicines Patent Pool can now sublicense the technology to generic manufacturers around the world.

“We are making available health technologies that are owned by the United States government, including stabilized spike protein that is used in many Covid-19 vaccines,” Biden said.

The decision to share the vaccine technology comes ahead of a virtual global Covid-19 summit that the U.S. is co-hosting Thursday. Though the spike protein technology is crucial, the vaccines also include other components — some of which are proprietary to the companies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
1652408760987-gettyimages-1240618433.jpe
WWW.VICE.COM

Experts told VICE World News the outbreak is very likely COVID, with fears of “mass death” as the virus ravages the country’s unvaccinated and malnourished population.

So, super bad COVID surge, or zombie virus? 

6 hours ago, Jason said:
WWW.POLITICO.COM

The government’s funds are running out. Tough decisions may soon present themselves.

What the fuck? No, seriously, what the flying fuck? I’m still waiting for either Moderna or Pfizer to get approval for the vaccine for under 5/6, and the government wants to give more money for to cops instead? Like they need more funding?

• True 1

9 minutes ago, Subzwari1987 said:

What the fuck? No, seriously, what the flying fuck? I’m still waiting for either Moderna or Pfizer to get approval for the vaccine for under 5/6, and the government wants to give more money for to cops instead? Like they need more funding?

There's two separate things going on.

The federal government doesn't have money to keep buying vaccines to distribute to everyone for free the way we've been doing. This is Congress' fault.

The policing thing you're talking about is indeed Biden being a dumbass but that's about how to use money that the feds have already given to local governments. There's obviously better things to be doing with that "leftover" (as though we're out of the pandemic :silly:) money than giving it cops but the feds can't claw that money back so no scenario under which that money could be going toward vaccines.

• True 1

7 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I almost wish Trump had won a second term, just so we could all laugh at how the ineptitude of handling this pandemic would be even worse somehow.

Almost.

He'd have gone on tour for 2 years talking about how he got the vaccine and cured the country and you'd get millions of hicks yelling about how he needs to be President for life after that.

• True 1

I do sometimes wonder how vaccine uptake would have changed in a Trump second term. Would more Dems have been hesitant to take the “Trump Vaccine”, and would more Trumpers be in favor of it because it’s their guy’s thing?

Truly unfortunate that the vaccines became part of the culture war 

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I do sometimes wonder how vaccine uptake would have changed in a Trump second term. Would more Dems have been hesitant to take the “Trump Vaccine”, and would more Trumpers be in favor of it because it’s their guy’s thing?

There never would have been mass vaccine availability because Jared would have grifted all of it. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Truly unfortunate that the vaccines became part of the culture war 

Trump tried to sell his folks on the vaccine at a rally a couple of months back and they booed him. I think things would have pretty mich been where they are now interms of vaccine adoption.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Trump tried to sell his folks on the vaccine at a rally a couple of months back and they booed him. I think things would have pretty mich been where they are now interms of vaccine adoption.

I think if Trump had come out swinging regarding the pandemic from the start then the chuds would have fallen in line.  But he downplayed it, blamed liberal media, the whole thing and the downstream Republicans took that and ran with it.  He had another moment to pivot to taking it seriously when he got sick, he was clearly scared, but after he didn't drop dead he used that to say it's no big deal once again.  No putting that toothpaste back in the tube

• True 1

14 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I think if Trump had come out swinging regarding the pandemic from the start then the chuds would have fallen in line.  But he downplayed it, blamed liberal media, the whole thing and the downstream Republicans took that and ran with it.  He had another moment to pivot to taking it seriously when he got sick, he was clearly scared, but after he didn't drop dead he used that to say it's no big deal once again.  No putting that toothpaste back in the tube

Like with masks, the entire reason it became a tribal issue for them is The Orange One thought he'd look like a pussy if people saw him in a mask on TV. Then once their dear leader broadcast that he hated them everyone else naturally had to fall in line on that given its a cult. But if say they'd gone through with the USPS plan to mail everyone masks and stuck a note in the package with Trump's signature on it saying it's you're bigly patriotic duty to wear the masks, then yeah they would have absolutely gone for it for the same cult worship reason.

Trump trying to push vaccines post-presidency isn't working because he's already spent two years telling them it's a hoax. 

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

After a year of people marking lines in the culture war over it. Can’t unwind that just because dear leader now says they are good.

I'm not 100% sure I heard right, but there's a guy at work who isn't vaccinated, and I think he said his dad kicked him out of the house because he gave him an ultimatum to either get the vaccine, or get out, so he left. Just WTF, man? 

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

After a year of people marking lines in the culture war over it. Can’t unwind that just because dear leader now says they are good.

It wasn't "people" making a culture war of it. It was HIM and his ilk. He got vaccinated and never bothered to say anything but was pushing other unproven and ineffective vaccine treatments but when he saw how effetice the vaccines were becoming, he wanted credit for them. He tried to have it both ways and it didn't work. 

To be fair the anti Vax sentiments was on both sides but I'm pretty sure the modern anti vax movement started with Californians in Orange County years ago.

I'll be done taking my 5 day dose of Paxlovid tomorrow.  I can't be sure IT is the reason why I started feeling better Wednesday morning, but it lines up with me starting to take it Tuesday night.  I highly recommend if any of you end up getting COVID, ask your doctor or state COVID authority for a prescription of Paxlovid.  It's free to you, as the government pays Pfizer directly to the tune of $520 per prescription.