~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I wonder if Ontario will open up for second booster shots for my age group or not. Would be nice to get boosted right before summer to help my chances of not getting sick. Hopefully this year can be the SUMMER OF FUCK!!! 

On 5/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, Jason said:

So apparently had my first known COVID exposure this weekend, the event organizer sent an email just now saying someone tested positive upon returning home. Just did a rapid test that I'm waiting on result from, and will do a PCR in a couple of days either way. At least if I got it I got it doing something I really wanted to do, not at the supermarket or something stupid like that. 

On 5/3/2022 at 12:32 PM, Jason said:

First rapid test negative. 

PCR test from yesterday came back negative. :santasun:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What did you expect when you spritz your side salad with Moderna dressing?

I'm far enough from my last booster that it was a realistic possibility to test positive. 🤷‍♂️

On 5/7/2022 at 3:38 AM, Brick said:

I wonder if Ontario will open up for second booster shots for my age group or not. Would be nice to get boosted right before summer to help my chances of not getting sick. Hopefully this year can be the SUMMER OF FUCK!!! 

I'm not aware of anywhere in the world that has opened up the second booster for non-immunocompromised folks under 50.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Immunocompromised status

They were definitely cracking down hard on people trying to get third shots back in July before boosters were authorized, but it was complete honor system when I went in December for my Moderna shot and I told them I was immunocompromised so give me the full dose not the half dose. I don't think the pharmacies really care anymore.

• True 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

So when do we start a betting pool on who will be the last one remaining in the end? :thinking:

I feel like there are only a handful of us left so far. 

I'd bet on myself after I reach my final form as a vaccine. 

(sigh)

106978761-1637595722602-gettyimages-1236
WWW.CNBC.COM

The White House has warned that it does not have enough money to buy next-generation Covid vaccines for all Americans ahead of a possible fall infection wave.

The U.S. will have to limit the next generation of Covid vaccines this fall to individuals at the highest risk of getting seriously sick from the virus if Congress fails to approve funding to purchase the new shots, according to a senior Biden administration official.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, warned the U.S. faces a substantial surge of Covid infections this fall as immunity from the current vaccines wanes and the omicron variant mutates into more transmissible subvariants. The U.S. needs more money for next-generation vaccines, therapeutics and tests to prevent infections from turning into hospitalizations and deaths, the official said.

Pfizer and Moderna are developing redesigned vaccines that target the omicron variant’s mutations to boost protection against infection. The current shots are still targeting the original virus strain that first emerged in Wuhan, China, in 2019. As the virus has evolved over the past two years, the vaccines have become less effective at preventing mild illness, though they generally still protect against severe disease.

The Food and Drug Administration is expected to make a decision by early summer at the latest on whether the U.S. should switch to the redesigned shots for a fall vaccination campaign, with its advisory committee set to hold a meeting on June 28 to discuss the issue.

However, the U.S. currently does not have enough money to purchase the new shots for everybody in the U.S. ahead of the fall, the official said. The U.S. Senate has failed so far to pass

$10 billion in additional Covid funding for vaccines, therapeutics and testing despite Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Sen Mitt Romney, R-Utah, striking a deal in early April. The $10 billion Senate deal is less than half the $22.5 billion the White House originally requested.

• Guillotine 3

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

(sigh)

106978761-1637595722602-gettyimages-1236
WWW.CNBC.COM

The White House has warned that it does not have enough money to buy next-generation Covid vaccines for all Americans ahead of a possible fall infection wave.

Great timing!

GettyImages-1393876173-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Cold-weather conditions, relentless march of variants, and waning immunity up risks.

apple-park-at-night-1.jpg
WWW.MACRUMORS.COM

Apple's director of machine learning, Ian Goodfellow, has resigned from his role a little over four years after he joined the company after...

Apple's director of machine learning, Ian Goodfellow, has resigned from his role a little over four years after he joined the companyafter previously being one of Google's top AI employees, according to The Verge's Zoë Schiffer.

Goodfellow reportedly broke the news to staff in an email, saying his resignation is in part due to Apple's plan to return to in-person work, which required employees to work from the office at least one day per week by April 11, at least two days per week by May 2, and at least three days per week by May 23.

"I believe strongly that more flexibility would have been the best policy for my team,"

@legend do you know who this guy is?

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:
apple-park-at-night-1.jpg
WWW.MACRUMORS.COM

Apple's director of machine learning, Ian Goodfellow, has resigned from his role a little over four years after he joined the company after...

@legend do you know who this guy is?

I haven't had the chance to meet him in person because we work in different sub fields of AI/ML, but I do know of him. He was the inventor of generative adversarial networks (GANs), which is a method for learning a data's distributions so that you can synthetically sample new instances. For example, a lot of the AI generated images or "style transfer" methods you've seen are GAN-based methods. Although more recently, diffusion models are starting to take that field over. For example, the recent DALL-E 2 system from Open AI that generates images from text descriptions is a diffusion-based model rather than a GAN. Not that long ago, it probably would have been implemented using GANs.

• Thanks 1

Is puking part of covid? Like I said when I was sick back at Christmas I woke up in the night dry heaving, but nothing came out, and that was the only time it happened. Rapid test was negative, but I couldn't find a place to get a PCR test to find out for sure if I had it, or if it was a regular cold. 

23 minutes ago, Brick said:

Is puking part of covid? Like I said when I was sick back at Christmas I woke up in the night dry heaving, but nothing came out, and that was the only time it happened. Rapid test was negative, but I couldn't find a place to get a PCR test to find out for sure if I had it, or if it was a regular cold. 

Nausea/vomiting is a possible COVID symptom. 

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

It can be:

healthdotcom_social_placeholder-f9149f90
WWW.HEALTH.COM

Is vomiting a symptom of COVID-19? Find out what doctors say about nausea, vomiting, and coronavirus symptoms.

If you also had other symptoms such as fever, runny nose and/or cough then the symptoms would be consistent with COVID.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A friend of mine recently got covid and their only symptom was GI issues. No cough or loss of taste/smell. Her husband got it And she also tested positive. 

COVID-19 appears to attack so very many parts of human physiology that it appears that just about anything could be a symptom.